1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need suggestions.....urgent..

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by asks, Sep 1, 2007.

1. asks

asks New IL'ite

hi,
    i am in a strange situation (or may be all indian parents go through this).we moved from india to here a year back. my son did his LKG there, when we moved in jun last year here we were in boston and because of the age limit he had to go to pre school for 6 months, again we moved from there to CA in jan 07 and here cut off date is dec 2 so he was able to go to KG for 5 months. acadamically he is good, but very hyperactive and doesn't sit in one place. he kinows all addition, subtraction, reading(little slow), but does all these only if he gets strict & repeated instruction. at home i take care of all this, he knows if he doesn't do he will be in trouble.
    problem is in the school. where here in US teachers believe kids should do it independently. so i get note that he didn't do this that....
    for the matter fact, after KG the teacher asked us to repeat his KG, because they fealt he is too young, agewise and also physically (nov 2001 born) and also missed first 7 months of KG, eventhough he passed the assessment test. we denied it and the teacher took it wrongly i think.

now the first grade teacher is biased seeing the report and 3rd day of the school she told me ur son is not doing independently, and i can't push him to do that. he is so young why do u want to push him. let him go to KG again.

i don't want to put him in KG again as we feel, there also he will have the same prob and more than that he knows all the things taught in KG so will get bored.
    all he needs is a teacher who can be little strict with him, than calling honey, dear .....
    don't know what to do....
    can anybody help me please............:mad:
    asks

2. Dejon72

Dejon72 New IL'ite

Hi,

I personally feel your son is the right age for standard one. What he needs is guidance at home i.e. you should guide him to do his work on his own and not sit with him to do it. It will take him sometime to get used to doing it by himself but there has to be a start somewhere and now it the best time.

Let him do other things on his own too i.e. making his own bed, dressing himself etc. these are little things that will help him understand the concept of doing things independently.

The key to success is patience and being consistent.

Regards,

Anita

3. Dejon72

Dejon72 New IL'ite

Dear Asks,

I forgot to mention but dont forget to reward him with apprasal and small gifts i.e. colour pencils etc.

Regards,

Anita

4. mithili

mithili New IL'ite

OOH! my son born sept 2000 is in 2 grade now.2001 yr means he must be in 1 grade now..i think u can request the mam about making him independent may be few weeks time and after tht decide whether to pu thim back in kg...if he is able to do things right like all the maths and english then kids will require few weeks to catch up being independent and being hyperactive i think u can ask the teachers to give u and ur kid a lil bit time to fix the problem assertively..again getting a year back will make ur son feell low when he is grown...try ur stage show!!!

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Well asks,

you have got varied replies.
    My perspective:

First find out if he has any problem.. ( forget you are a parent and look out if he has a problem.).. if he is fine then...
    The problem could be your son is bored with what he was learning in kg after the ringamarole he would have had in india in lkg.
    He may be feeling it difficult to adjust..so talk to him..make him understand in simple ways that since we are here, he has to adjust..
    Reading..if he is slow, you have to make him do it in a playful method. like reading news headlines, street names, even a game of recognising the places on a atlas becomes engrossing for a child.
    Then the other reason is his being hyper..believe me u need a little more patience. dont show your distress or your hurt because of this situation. tell him he is too good, but being good is not enough as his teacher is not recognising.
    Tell him in a story line way that thatha,patti and all know that you are good. but teacher does not know and she will accept only when u do things as she wants you to do....
    Apart from all this never forget to show your appreciation, your love..this is what counts more.

And better go and have a talk to the teacher also...

hope it helps.
    My 2 cents.