1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Suggestions To Entertain 5 Yr Old During Bed Rest

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Daffodil13, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

Need your help and suggestions to entertain my 5 year old daughter. I am currently pregnant and in 23 weeks but due to incompetent cervix I have been put cervix stitch and also put on bed rest. My mom is here to take care of my daughter and me.

Now my problem is we recently moved to new apartment just before we noticed that I am pregnant and I am all new here. I don't have good friends either and also my daughter. Now my daughter is feeling very lonely and bored at home. Even though she has 100 toys she is not willing to play with them. She wants ppl around to play and she is longing for friends here. As we are new, I got very less chance to make friends. And I have been passing through so many tensions in this pregnancy from beginning so couldn't concentrate much on it.
    Till last month I was in position to move so I use to play with her and take her to play area. But now as I am not in position to play or move she is feeling left out. My mom is trying her best but not able to play as much. Till last month she had only one friend in flat with whom she use to play occasionally but not sure what happened suddenly her mom is not allowing that girl to play with my daughter. Even if my daughter goes to their house, they are avoiding saying that they are going out etc. I asked my daughter if they fought anything between but she said no and they were all fine. I see that girl also is interested to play just that her mom is not allowing. Not sure what happened and I can't go to discuss. I am feeling so bad for my daughter . Need ur suggestions pls on how to make her engaged or entertained at home. I don't want my daughter to full time spend on laptop, mobile and tv which is what she is doing now and I am helpless...

Any suggestions would seriously help

2. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

Some options I could think off

• Can you play some board games with her or read some story books to her without straining yourself or getting off of the bed
    • Can your husband be able to spend some time with her and take her out to play area or mall?
    • Is she going to school, are you friends with any of her classmate's mom? If yes, you can ask the friend's mom, if they are willing to have your daughter for play date once in a while on weekends?
    • Do you have siblings or cousins either from your side or husband's side with kids of same age group who will be willing to have her over for weekends?
    • If grandmom is busy taking care of your needs and cooking and cannot play with her, can the granddad be able to spend some time?
    • Make her do some simple crafts, artwork, coloring, drawing. There are several kits available these days that a five year old can handle with minimal help.
    • Hiring someone for an hour or two a day to entertain her, so you can focus on your health now.

3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Poster daksh has given some great suggestions.

To add on, reading books/ telling stories is a great pass time. Generally 5 yr olds like to reread stories but it can be tiring to read aloud with expression. Record your voice or video yourself when you are reading the first time. And you can play it for her again and again.

If she likes to dance, sing, you can encourage her to see you tube and practice , it involves her more and will keep her occupied.

can you enroll her in any classes ?

sindmani and Daffodil13 like this.
  4. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi Daksh,

Thanks so much dear...I will think abt ur suggestion.
    1. I tried playing with her on bed like some board games, word building etc etc...Even tried reading books. But my girl gets bored so easily. in the sense, she plays for max 10-15 mins. Thats all..after which she says boring for everything ...
    2. No, my Husband is all time busy with his office work. He use to have calls almost everyday till 10-10:30. We dont get time to talk each other for atleast 30 mins in a day..:(
    3. Yes, I have 2-3 friends (my daughter's friends mom). Problem is they all stay little far from my home and my husband should drop & pick up...we should think abt it. But i never tried till now so this will be first time. I am not sure how they take it forward? Little skeptical abt it.
    4. I have very few cousins here...just 2-3..But they all have very small kids like 1 year old etc and will be busy with their own plans..so i cannot ask them. Being summer vacation, many ppl go to native
    5. My Dad is not very good at health..He is able to handle only his tasks and somehow he is very addicted to TV and doesn't want my daughter to disturb him while he is watching tv. sometimes he shouts at her , if she is making noise in hall...i know its not right..but i cant say anything back to him. He was not such person earlier and use to be very cool...just after major health issue, he has changed..
    6. I am actually looking out for any summer classes/camp near by where she can spend half day...may be that solves a bit of my problem...

But now a days , i am feeling that she is purposefully making fuss to play any other thing like toys, arts & crafts and crying out saying she is bored. Becoz i think she is addicted to mobile games etc and she understood when she makes more fuss, we will handover mobile..getting very difficult to keep her away from ipad and mobile now a days. I generally don't like kids , infact even elders to spend time on mobiles and ipads..I prefer spending time with ppl around..

5. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks SunPa...

No, my girl is not liking reading any story books...she likes me or my mother telling her stories but only during her bed time..Remaining times even if i initiate, she simply doesnt show interest.

Right dear, My kid loves to dance..your idea of playing on youtube and asking her practice might work..Let me try..