1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions or directions :(

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by boredgirl, Jun 13, 2009.

1. boredgirl

boredgirl New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this wonderful site by mistake and I am really glad I found it.
    I am one more disgruntled H4 :(
    I have done Textiles Engineering. Could any of you suggest something which I could do here in bay area. Any course or college I could take up to better myself.

I am not really sure how much of a career I can make in the apparel industry here. Is changing my line to software the only option? Is anyone out there in the same boat as me. Please guide me.

2. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Hey,

Welcome to the club H4!!!
    I can totally relate with you, I went through the H4 phases of boredom, anguish and depression too.
    Yes this is indeed a great site to reach out, make a few new friends, and to help and be helped.
    To answer your questions-
    - If you are in the bay area opportunities to study are immense. I have enrolled for an MA course in SFSU.
    - I guess you could plan to do a masters in your area of study. To know the options in terms of which courses you need to shop around a bit. You could to begin with write to grad school websites or take up a short term course, like the ones offered by berkeley extension and then get in touch with the faculty for better guidance.
    -community colleges are also an option as they provide one year certificate courses.

- Getting into software isn't the only option :) .I am sure there are quite a few things you could do.

Hope this helps,

take care,
    Deepa

3. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Hi deepa
    nice to hear that you have joined MA in SFSU. Did u take your GRE toefl?
    how did u go about the application process. Did u receive funding.
    look forward to hear from you
    yes, rightly said, there do seem to be options and changing your field to s/w is not the right or only solution for everyone.
    pr

4. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Hi pr,

Thanks for your wishes..
    Yes GRE and Toefl are mandatory for most of the schools in USA.
    I put in around four months of intense preparation for GRE, especially since Math is not my forte. Toefl on the other hand in pretty easy and the scores dont really count, as in you just need to pass it . GRE on the other hand counts in your application process. ALong with things like your GPA and your statement of purpose.

As far as funding is concerned. State universities dont have much in terms of funding, as they are prepetually cash strapped!
    I don't have funding but since I am a resident ,need only to pay instate tuition. State univs have a far lesser fee structure than private so it can be managed.
    Also, you don't really get a funding packet unless you are a phd candidate. Most MAs are unfunded, but there are usual some funds available once you get started- TAs or on campus work etc.

If there are any questions ,do write in,I'll be glad to answer.

Deepa

5. lalit06

lalit06 New IL'ite

try local community colleges. they ll have short term courses which cost peanuts.