1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need Suggestions on Piercing ear...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Thriveniram, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Thriveniram

Thriveniram Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

My daughter is 11 months old, Iam planning to pierce her ear as its part of our custom, Kindly advice me which is the best method to do so with out much pain.

-Thriveni

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have heard that the traditional method is painful but it has the fastest recovery time when compared to modern methods. I know of a family who went all modern with sanitized wipes, gunshot method (before traditional piercing) etc. It all seemed ok until the hole got infected. Then they just went the traditional way and it all turned out ok.

3. sangeethaamar

sangeethaamar Silver IL'ite

Hi
    I know we all want to make our little ones go painless. But from my experience I would suggest you to go for traditional method.
    1. The modern gun shot is more pain when they give a painful shot .
    2. In modern method we can't make our little one wear the tradional earring ,only the gunshot model can be made to wear. And also the hole is so thin that it becomes difficult for change the other ear rings later
    3. Traditional method indeed its painful at that time ,but other problems can be avoided.
    4. Put oil after peircing the ear.
    We were not able to make our little one wear gold earring ,as we had gun shot method and we took off then earring after 2 days .
    The hole was too thin and went off in 2 days.

4. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Gunshot piercing worked well for my daughter..
    Check if they are using fresh/ clean needles, you can ask them to apply a local numbing agent/ you can buy one from a pharmacy.. Immediately following the piercing they will suggest a topical antibiotic solution to be applied there ..
    we got her ear pierced at the doctors office..and they followed all these. They do the same at the malls too.

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@soulsong Did you get the piercing done in US or in India?

6. malathi0874

malathi0874 Guest

dear friend ramyarani,
    Traditional method is good for piercing the ear. it till pain to some hours only after that the baby will get fine. dont go for alternative methods.

7. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

my daughters ear piercing was done in US. They do the same in india too ..my niece got her ear pierced in india..and hers was fine too

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

We had my dd's piercing done in India in a temple. I used the numbing gel but other wise traditional. Seems ok so far...been an year since.

9. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

in our tradition even boys are pierced... .and my son's was done traditional way... 2 years and its fine!!

PS: and my son's reaction during the procedure was same as during his vaccination... just a minute he cried then silence! he was 15 days old when pierced!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  10. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

We did the traditional ear piercing for my daughter in a jewelry store. She cried only during the time of piercing but once we came out of the store, she was fine.