Need suggestions on items to carry to India

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by Shraavya, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Shraavya

Shraavya New IL'ite

Hi friends
    I am shortly relocating to India and am a bit busy with my shopping. I invite your suggestions on what all things or stuff that are really worth purchasing here in the U.S. I am a mother of a two and a half yr old daughter and I am planning to buy some pencils, hello kitty bag and the like. Is it worth buying such things here or are such things can even be purchased in India?

While shopping, really I am in big confusion and feel like purchasing the whole lot of things, but finally I am ending up with a mess :bonk- purchasing and returning and due to this my dh is fed up with the returns and started shouting at me:hide:. And we have weight restrictions like we can carry 23 kg / baggage and we can take only 5 check-in bags.

Please, help me out and suggest a list of items which are really worth taking from the US to India. And now I don't want to take the items that are already available in India as I can buy those in India.

Moreover, any special decorative items which we get in the U.S and not in India, please help me out by giving suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.:bowdown

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I don't have idea for how long did you guys stay in US, how many things do you guys have at home.
    Are you planning to ship those items like sofa, bedroom set etc... or just taking your baggage?

Infact you get everything in India, but the quality wouldn't great like US :)

If you are taking only baggage:
    Clothes for your kids would be good.
    Games/toys for kids

Thats all I can think of right now.

3. Shraavya

Shraavya New IL'ite

Thank you for the response. No shipping for furniture from the U.S as we are almost done with the disposing part of all the stuff. We would like to go only with the baggage. And want to take something which are really worth taking from here like any decorative items or crockery for making home.

4. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

The decorative items are worth of it...the variety is large comparing to india..quality too...like wall hangings,candle holder (especially wall hanging type)..some culinary items,glassware,dinner set...though we get the same thing in india..i feel the variety is less..JMO some kitchen accessories you find in bed bath and beyond like the ladle divider etc..is worth..if you know how you are going to arrange the kitchen in india...

5. puni88

I have already started making list of what to take and where to buy here.
    I am not going to buy anything in India expect few things like mixie etc.
    I am not disposing anything here, shipping everything to India.
    So have good curtains, decoration items, kitchen sets etc.
    Right now I am disposing old ones and getting new ones for India.

1 person likes this.
  6. puni88

Shraavya,
    As you are planning to take only 2 baggages, it becomes difficut to choose what is imp and to narrow it down.
    If you ask me, there are many things which you can take it from here :)

7. SimmiK

SimmiK New IL'ite

Hi All,
    This is a very Helpful thread. I am assuming you all are now nicely settled in India. With your experience can you please recommend what to bring from U.S. vs. what we get better in India.
    Thanks!

8. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Cosmetics, non electric kitchen utensils like knife, peeler, scrapper, cutting boards..., candle holders, kids toys and clothes are always good buys in US. Other things can be procured in India

9. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

You can get all these things in India so I suggest no need to carry these things..

10. Anupamaraghav

Anupamaraghav Silver IL'ite

Dear sumi, almost every thing is now available in India or else u can buy them at ebay.
    We stayed in Roseville California US for 4 years and returned to Bangalore about 10 years back. We sold all our furniture and gave away almost all our clothes and kids toys (big ones) to Salvation Army. The things I chose at that time to bring back to India:
    1)Tefal Ingenio non stick cookware set with detachable handles(after 10 years still in pretty good condition), a spice rack, beautiful glass cutting board and some small kitchen items.
    2) good quality non skid bath mats with rubber backing of different colors ( now these are available in India also) at Montgomery.
    3) two Corelle by Corning dinnerware sets (bought new pattern at that time at factory outlet Folsom,) now they are available in India also but it takes a few years for new patterns to reach here. But U have to be very care ful while packing them.

4) lots of Artificial flowers and ivy's bought them at Micheals art and craft store at Roseville and at Denio's farmers market .(these r available in India also but the quality is not so good. Here in Bangalore I buy them from Kusal near commercial street)
    5) two beautiful Quilt sets(available in India also but mostly razai type and not the real quilted one and not that pretty)
    6) certain electronic items from Radio shack.( now every thing is available here)
    And also went to Home Depot couple of times and bought a big synthetic play mat for our kids.( it is easily available here in India now)
    Lots of good memories,
    And last but not the least actually most important money(came back bought a plot and constructed a house here in Bangalore).:)
    Hope this helps.

sindmani likes this.