Need Suggestions - Is It Good Idea To Move To Malaysia From India?

Discussion in 'Indians in Malaysia' started by pranavi13, Jun 25, 2019.

1. pranavi13

pranavi13 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Need your suggestions , so that we can decide on the opportunity we have to move to Malaysia from India. My husband is software engineer currently working as Informatica Admin, with over all 14 years of work experience in Information Development, Support & Admin.
    Currently he has got an opportunity in his company for Malaysia for long term ( maybe 2-3 years) but the trick is he will be removed from India company payroll and will be moved to Malaysia payroll which has a risk of finding a new job again in India , if we plan to return.

Below are few pointers which will help you to provide your valuable suggestion.

Financial:

Salary component is yet to be discussed for Malaysia. But would need an approximate figure which we can ask for..?Can you please suggest n what is demand for Informatica Admin with 14 years experience. How much can we expect?

1. Here in India, bangalore - My husband gets a take home of 1.4 Lakhs for every month
    2. I work as software engineer as well with 11+ years of experience and I get 70K take home every month

Our lifestyle is decent here and with our both salaries, we save around 80-90K every month with house loan being paid.

Considering that I need to quit my job in India and accompany him, I assume that i wont have job initially and he will be sole bread winner for family of 4.

I would be interested to work in Malaysia, But need to work on how easy it is to get work permit on dependant visa and Job prospects there...Meanwhile I am also in to IT with 11+ years experience.

Is it worthful to quit my job and come over there?

Family:

I have two kids, first one goes to 2nd std here in CBSE syllabus school and second one is 2 years old.

- Is education system good in Malaysia? Can my kids cope up if they had to be back to India after 3-4 years?
    - How safe is Malaysia for Indian family with kids?

There are lot of threads where I see safety concerns in Malaysia , reg Human Trafficiking, kidnappings kids, thefts, pickpocketers etc.

Can someone help in providing some insights for my queries, which will help us to decide better.

Thanks,
    Pranavi

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Hi Pranavi,

I have visited Malaysia couple of times for a weeks duration. IMHO moving to Malaysia quitting decent jobs in India is not a wise thing to do. I feel the below:
    1. Lifestyle is not very attractive. You find floating population, mostly tourists. Locals appear to be very dull and below average in over all personality (compared to Indians).
    2. Education system may not be as good as in India or other preferable overseas destinations.
    3. INR savings may not be huge compared to what you 2 earn together in India (considering only salary initially, as you will need some time to find a job).
    4. IT is not very advanced. Mainly they are into financial business (Banks)

Menawhile, you can think about migrating to Australia in the long term (making use of your time in Malaysia).

All the best
    Sinant

rachaputi likes this.
  3. pranavi13

pranavi13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Sinant for your reply. It makes me think.
    Yes, Initially I wont have a job but would be interested to take up...Not sure how easy it is to get a job with dependant visa and second is my kids education. I dont want them to be disturbed because of our move.

Australia is in our minds as well for a longer run, but need some clarification...How does it differ moving to Australia from India? and from Malaysia?
    Is immigration process simpler from Malaysia to Australia...Please clarify

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Since it’s a move, am assuming that there will be a hike in your husbands salary which may balance out since your income may stop. As long as you are able to find an accommodation in your price range, you will be able to live in a similar kind of budget that you have here. From my personal experience, I feel that the cost of living is similar to India.

It’s not legally possible to work full time with a dependent visa but if you are able to look for a job there n convert the visa then you can.

Your kids are still very young, even if not, there are many options of good schools n syllabus available that you can pick.

The whole country is a mix of Malays, Chinese n Indians. You won’t feel out of place.

The risks are just like any other countries, just like India, no ‘country-special’ kind of crimes here.

Adding on:
    They have amazing food varieties, do check online / YouTube n check it out.
    People are friendly.
    Good public transportation/ taxis.
    It’s multi racial, so your kids grow up learning different languages n cultures n religions.
    Finding a new job can be challenging there for a foreigner.
    I personally feel that it’s kind of like a different India as it has many similarities.

Regarding Aus..
    Friends who has migrated to Aus, NZ, Canada .. say it’s hard finding a good job, especially if you haven’t studied there or no ‘same country’ job experience. But it doesn’t stop anyone, more people are applying to migrate to new places everyday.
    N the key point to migrate is having good amount of saving to sail you through that unemployed n settling period. Then eventually it starts getting better, but it’s gona be hard in the beginning.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    pranavi13 likes this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Are you ready to be a SAHM? If yes, only then you consider. Its tough siting in home after having such a career in India. Will you be happy in Malaysia away from family? I consider your happiness a top priority because then only you can make others happy.

you already have a great life. Unless your comfort, lifestyle, income, kids education, happiness etc multiply many times, its not a good move. Of course, it always great to stay in any country and experience their culture. If you consider, Canada/Australia USA, unless you have a good job offer, its not a good move. I have seen many struggle to find a good job after immigrating as permanent resident in Canada. If you are ready to take a risk with positive mind, then you can consider it.

pranavi13 and balakrish like this.
  6. balakrish

balakrish Platinum IL'ite

You haven't stated why you are moving to Malaysia.

Your life in India is good. Unless you have lot of good reasons to move, its not worth it.

pranavi13 and lavani like this.
  7. pranavi13

pranavi13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Ashneys, DDream & Balakrish for your valuable feedback. It really helps me to re-think about it.

To answer few of queries:

- We are expecting some good hike in his salary, as it is Company re-location but we are yet to discuss on Salary component so cannot actually provide some figures now.
    - I am not really ready to be a SAHM for long time. I am fine to have a break of 6 months in mid to settle down in new place and find a job offer.
    - Main reason for us to think about this offer is to get some good exposure outside India and also to provide Kids a different & better lifestyle than here.

Having said that, Touch wood that God has helped us to have good & decent lifestyle already here in India and we are happy here. Just that we are trying to consider this only to take a next step in our life with below factors

- Financial improvement which means more savings than in India (We save around 80-90K in a month in Bangalore).
    - Different Work exposure for both of us, which will value add us in our careers for further move. Maybe to different country i.e Australia in our minds.
    - Different exposure for Kids for their betterment.

Above are three major factors which we are looking in to....Not sure whether this move really helps us to achieve above expectations , hence this question for you all, who lived in Malaysia already to help us understand whether my expectations are right...

If lifestyle, Savings and kids exposure is same as India, We are not ready to take any risk in moving to different country and struggle to settle down

8. pranavi13

pranavi13 Silver IL'ite

Can you guys help me to throw some more insights on my above expectations...Are my expectations reasonable enough to achieve in Malaysia? or Do you guys think I will have same lifestyle, savings and exposure to kids as in India...

9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Regarding your 3 major factors..

Your salary would stop n your hubby may get a hike, then you maybe able to save the same, but the expenses are similar to in india. Not too low but not too high either.

International work experience, more exposure - yes

Different exposure for kids - yes

It’s a nice country, I love it.

The only challenge I see here for you maybe your job but since you are ok with 6 months break, maybe you can find a job within that time.

pranavi13 likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:My co brother with his spouse & 9 year old son from Gwalior went and spent almost 2 to two and half years in Kula laMpur when he calculated at then prevailing exchange rate ringgit vs India rupee saving potential was over 50 %.
    He returned with family rich in sovereigns and settled in Mumbai acquiring huge flat near IIT.
    But that was in 2000-01.
    I came across reading about Muslim domination and ethnicity etc and so curiosity got better of me lead to the link below:

10 things I’ve learned from 10 years living in Malaysia

You might like to open for fresh insights.
    Wish you all the best for your entire family
    Regards.
    GOD IS SAME irrespective of one’s earnings in ₹ or $ or £ or €?