Need Suggestions For Ivf Pre-testing(usa)

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Prache, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Prache

Prache New IL'ite

I just turned 31, we have been ttc from 10 months. I know it's not long time, but due to my husband prior health problem my ob/gyn suggested to do semen analysis during pre-conception visit. We took our own time and did the test after 3-4 months and diagnosed with severe MFI :cry:.It didn't take much time for me to understand that if it happens its going to be miracle and most probably our option is IVF with ICSI. Currently we are seeing urologist and my husband is on fertility aid and clomid( even though everything is normal)

My husband insurance has some limited coverage for infertility (15k life time max) and mine is completely excluded this coverage. And I can't enroll in his plan until next year April :( . We are planning to wait until April to start the process, but am not sure If I am doing mistake to wait that long.We decided to go Fertility clinic consultation in Dec-Jan on my husbands insurance, but should I just pay out of pocket for any kind of pre-testing just to avoid any unexpected delays? I do temp chart,OPK,so I know I ovulate and have regular period (but long 30+ days cycles). I just don't want to regret later as If we have done that semen analysis when doctor prescribed, I could have added to his insurance this year April.

So please help me to decide who ever gone or going through IVF and have any suggestions for me.

2. prettyshalini

prettyshalini New IL'ite

Hi prache,

Don't worry. Things will fall in place at the right time. Regarding Insurance in USA. You can try to get individual plan (not through employment) from either carefirst blue cross blue shield or kaiser permanente. But monthly premium will be little bit higher ~ $350 - $450. But you can do 3 IVF attempts per live birth. Just call them to make sure.

Prache likes this.
  3. 28neha

28neha Platinum IL'ite

Hi Prachi,

You can plan your ivf in April.before that you prepare your body for Ivf and your husband can concentrate on increasing motility and count by taking medicines.

Prache likes this.
  4. pihu123

pihu123 Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    I need all your help.Hope someone can help me.One of my friend is having endometrosis and have some problems with her eggs too.So they are planning to go for IVF with donor eggs. Is it possible to get pregnant with donor eggs in IVF treatment without operating endometriosis? what would be the successful rate of IVF? Please let me know your opinions as soon as possible.Hope someone will help me..

5. Chiu

Chiu Senior IL'ite

Hi Prache,

I am currently undergoing IVF in the US. Just had my egg retrieval day before yesterday. We are also severe MFI. My husband saw urologist and underwent varicocele surgery. He was on clomid for 18 months. Initially after the surgery his count went up for a few months but then plateaued. So we stopped all his treatments and decided to do IVF. Have you checked if you have diagnostic coverage. We have diagnostic coverage only. So all the pre screening was covered through insurance. But actual IVF was out of pocket.
    Also have you visited RE yet? Sometimes getting the appointment with RE , the initial consult etc. takes time. My initial consult was in May and we are undergoing IVF right now. I can understand your feeling and the wait is really hard. But I think if you can wait till April and go on husband's insurance, you should definitely do that. IVF is really hard emotionally, physically. If insurance can take care of it financially, you should take that advantage. We didn't have that option. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.

Prache likes this.
  6. Prache

Prache New IL'ite

Thank you for your response. I don't have any coverage even for diagnostic tests.
    If you don't mind can you share why there is months delay between your consultation and actual process.Is that normal in IVF? And also what we can expect in initial consultation? Sorry, I know I'm being desperate here to know all the details. Hope you understand my emotional turmoil :(

7. Chiu

Chiu Senior IL'ite

I will be turning 32 this month and my plan was to have a baby before I turned 30. Even I feel so desperate and feel like time is running out. So I totally understand your feelings. You are not alone. Ask me anything and I will try to answer.
    Initial consult will be at least for an hour. Your doctor will explain in detail the IVF process, all the medicines, statistics. Go over history with you and your partner. and then finally order the pre screening tests for both of you.
    I had to undergo SHG (sonohysterogram), multiple blood tests to check thyroid levels, ovarian reserve, immunity to rubella etc. Sometimes these tests are to be performed on particular day of the cycle. So those take time. Then one of my blood test showed I was not immune to Rubella. So I had to do that vaccination, then after the vaccination you can't try to get pregnant for a month. So I had to wait entire month after that.
    In the meanwhile they did some genetic testing on my husband to see if he was a carrier to some common genetic disorders. The tests were negative but it took two weeks to get those results. If he were a carrier, they would have done the same testing on me. If both partners are carrier, it is a risk for the kid.
    After all the tests, our dr. decided our treatment plan. Again arranging for money, ordering medication etc will take 1-2 weeks. All in all it will take at least 2-3 months if not more.
    Also we decided not to do a fresh transfer. So after egg retrieval, I will get a break of 1-2 months and then start my frozen transfer cycle. So in my case, actual IVF is taking another 2-3 months from start to finish.
    So considering all these delays, you can wait till April for insurance to kick in or you can do all the prescreening in the meantime and wait for the actual treatment to start till April. All the prescreening tests are not that expensive if you compare them to the cost of actual IVF.

Prache and mbharani like this.
  8. Prache

Prache New IL'ite

Thank you so much for explaining this.
    We ll go for initial consultation in Jan and decide based on RE suggestion.If its same like you, may be I can at least start husband's testings and few tests for me. It's very hard to be patient when everyone around you is announcing pregnancy and you have to wait and wait.. and god knows until when.
    But I wish you lots of luck for your IVF cycle.. keeps us updated :)

Chiu likes this.