Need Suggestion -Relocating from USA to London

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by Sheetal944, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Sheetal944

Sheetal944 New IL'ite

Hi Frenz,

I am relocating from USA to London, UK next month. I am looking for a fully furnished apartment closer to central London (1/2 hr to 1 hr travel is fine). Please advise which all areas should I target for my search.

Is there anyone from Croydon? If yes, please tell me how is the place and approx rent for 2 bedroom apartment.

Also, I have loads of household stuff in USA. What all things should I carry to London.

Thanks,
    Sheetal

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

2. HasiniS

HasiniS Gold IL'ite

Hi Sheetal

I too am coming to London in october... I have asked few doubts but I think no one from UK is active here in this forum... I know people who live in Croydon ... But as you would need to commute to central london everyday Croydon wont be a good option... Places like Barking, Feltham ,West Drayton, Hayes etc are good .. Actually I would suggest to take a room in travelodge initially and then thru local websites you can find info regarding agents who can show you houses ... Real estates are super quick there ... you just need to land there , contact the agents and choose one of the houses you like :)

Regarding the things you need to take with you .. Usually you get houses furnished and un furnished ... Even un furnished ones have the white furniture ( Kitchen ). Rent in croydon would be 800 to 1000 pounds for a 2 bedroom semidetached house... try searching in rightmove.co.uk, findproperties.com ... I am planning to take essential tawa, pressure cooker, mixer/grinder... (n Last time I had a tough time without mixer .. I got only blender ... So ask me if you need any more info ... I would tell what I know :) Happy shifting !!!

3. jiya25

jiya25 New IL'ite

hi sheetal and hasini,

i live in E14, island garden or canary wharf area....it is super convinient to get to central on the train, 20-30 min depending on your stop. and its not crowded or busy like some of the other areas i have been to so i would highly recommend that you look into this area as well. usually un-furnished houses are rare....most letting agents would show furnished houses, and it is so worth it.....furniture is expensive here so always best go for furnished house as it is not such a massive diff in rent.

i would highly recommend calling up a few letting agents and view many properties.....its worth it if you manage to find a little gem :)

when i moved from canada a year ago, i sold all my chunky stuff and carried the essentials with me......i am here for both of you if you need help or guidance. :)

4. jiya25

jiya25 New IL'ite

hi and welcome to london....let me know if i can help anyway :)