need study partner for pl/sql

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anu333, Apr 5, 2012.

1. anu333

anu333 Senior IL'ite

WE will target to complete answering all the SQL topics including Misc by tomorrow and start with the basics of PL/SQL from tomorrow!

2. KulkarniG

KulkarniG New IL'ite

Hi Anu,

Could you please send me the study material for SQL, PL/SQL so that I can also study the same topics.

Thanks!!

3. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hi All

Can any one suggest soln for the following req:

I need to display set of colums in a table with a where condition
    for eg: select * from emp where EMP_NO= 1234;

i will get a set of records for the particular EMP_NO. But, if the EMP_NO is not available in the table i should recieve a message " Invalid Emp_no" ....how can i display the message...any suggestions??

Thanks
    Sravani

4. anu333

anu333 Senior IL'ite

Sravani, thanks for kick starting this forum again, I gave up after a while as asking questions and answering the same questions has become a boring job and nobody seems to be into pl/sql, however coming to your question,

Oracle never throws the exact/specific error, which is the issue, we have to correct it ourselves whether it is syntactical or other issues. If you mean, how to view a error message, then you could try using the package dbms_output.put_line(message) to display your custom message.......there is also a concept of exception handling that you may refer to which might help a little bit in understanding how to generate your own exceptions etc. I hope my answer made sense!

FYI: I have completed PL/SQL as planned and not going with the routine, if anybody has any question, then I can see how I can help them!

Thanks

5. Mallika14

Mallika14 New IL'ite

Hi,

Try to use DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('INVALID EMP_NO');

Thanks,
    Mallika.

6. anoop2007

anoop2007 New IL'ite

Hi ,
    This is anuradha .Would like to join u.I am right now learning SQL programming.Include me in.I have some basic knowledge in oracle 8.I think u are far ahead ,as this thread was started 2 months back.I will follow your previous thread and catch u up soon.
    One request-while learning the chapters why don't u add some sample programs or assignments based on the topic.It will be more helpful .Thank you.

7. anu333

anu333 Senior IL'ite

OK, So After a long time, I am back with a bang!

8. anu333

anu333 Senior IL'ite

Well, Firstly its been a while, and from my experience in this time, I have learnt few important things. I had a chance to give interviews and unfortunately nothing worked and so I am back to this again, otherwise would have been busy with some work!

Well, to start off with I had given client interviews and from my experience I have learnt the most important technical question asked when applying for a Pl/SQL Developer. I wish I as told by somebody before starting my interview process, but yeah, atleast my experience should be helpful to somebody else for their interview process...In the next post you will see the questions coming up! And remember this post is all about technical, I will not be talking about any techniques to deal with tension during interview etc

9. anu333

anu333 Senior IL'ite

So, The below questions are the most common and frequent question asked for any Pl/SQL developer kind of positions and again it varies with functionality with DWH exp or OLTP exp req etc.

I would also like to give answers, but this time with examples, scenarios etc etc......I may not be able to give all at once, but will try to cover 1-2 questions per day with utmost understanding an examples!

But below are purely with respect to PL/SQL oriented kind of interviews

1. What is the difference between a procedure and a function?
    2. What is the difference between a cursor an a ref cursor
    3. Explain a scenario where you have fired a trigger?
    4.What is Bulk collect and Bulk Bind
    5. What is the use of packages?
    6. What is dynamic SQL?
    7. What are Collections?
    8. What are exceptions an how are the user defined exceptions raised?

Above are few of the most common and important questions asked in PL/SQL? I also have noted the other important questions in SQL etc. I will post them one I answer the above.

Suggestions can walk in and welcome

10. viriya

viriya New IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Please let me know if anybody is interested in taking up SQL Server DBA training. Along with the training, i provide study materials, practice sessions, assist in preparing resume, training on how to attend interviews and placement services (We work exclusively with clients in SQL Server DBA area).

Regards
    Viriya.