Need some suggestions on partying with my husband's lady boss

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by thozhi4u, Jun 25, 2009.

1. thozhi4u

thozhi4u New IL'ite

My husbands lady boss has invited their team for outdoor party in her house. She is an american and everybody in his team are americans. I dont know what to expect there? How to talk with them? Or what to talk? We are taking our kids 3yr old daughter and 15 months baby boy so what should i pack in my diaper bag we will be staying ther for 1-1/2 hours to 2 hrs.Already i met her last year, in a park for pot luck.I was like a stupid there so this time i dont want to mess.Problem is i dont have any indian friends there in his team to hang on in the party.And my dear husband will be with his collegues talking and entertaining busy. i am going to be alone there stareing at all the people with 2 kids on my head.i dont know how to behave there -to keep quiet or to go and talk with other wife's (i am a quiet person so tht too wont work), His boss wants him to get our kids also for the party so we cannot leave the babies.plzz help me.

2. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Hey Chill,
    Either Desi or Pardesi donot get tensed.
    1) Enjoy your get together
    2) When we talk english, it should be clear (talk slowly but loud enough so it is clear)
    3) when kids are involved most topics are on kids, school work. Talk casually.
    4) You mentioned she is your DH boss, so once or twice praise your DH :) good for him. He is so helpful with kids (things like that)
    Donot over do it, just mention casually if possible in one conversation
    5) Talk about weather (common topic, so hot these days, so cold these days types)
    6) Relax... they are also human. i talk more with my US boss. They make us feel so ease while talking. Just be clear in words while talking. We pronounce few words differenlty. so talk slowly so you can see their facial expression that they understood.
    Enjoy!!! i tell you once you get used to talking with them, you will like talking to them more :)
    Bye
    Archana:)

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    its really tough meeting new people specially of other race & country.here in Africa all speak English but i o have problem understanding so end up saying'sorry' could not get u ' a lot.
    well,for kiddies take diapers,wipes,change of t-shirt ,small toy for baby,& his milk.u never know when the child will spill something on herself .

now,i usually say hi to anyone who is within reach & making eye contact with me.then i get the baby to say hi(he is 14 mts old).generally,people start talking to baby & then to me ,so it breaks the ice easily.

to lady boss u can greet with nice & answer whatever she asks u , in short sentences.she would have only few minutes to spare for u as many others would be invited ,so just be polite.
    then feed the elder one 1st & let hubby hold the baby.u can feed the baby small food items from ur own plate.
    by that time it would be time to go ,so thank the boss nicely & say the babies & u enjoyed very much.then follow ur dh.if he says bye to somebody u also smile & say so.
    enjoy

4. thozhi4u

thozhi4u New IL'ite

Thank you maha, I am gaining some confidence after reading your suggestions.
    I will let you know how it went .Thanks a lot.

5. thozhi4u

thozhi4u New IL'ite

Thank you archana for your reply.
    Yes i will talk slowly coz i always talk a bit fastly.

6. thozhi4u

thozhi4u New IL'ite

Hi guys, friday we went to the party. And it went good. I was cool and relaxed this time. I followed your suggestions , and finally we had a great time. thanks a lot friends.