1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Need some soln to Thyroid

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Aana, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Aana

Aana New IL'ite

Hi to Everyone,

My mother is 53 now.
    She has dropped some pounds.
    She consulted the Local doctor in chennai.
    They said she has thyroid in the neck and she should go for an operation for thyroid.

I have some questions regarding this.

-IS thyroid curable by medicine or she should go for operation.

-whether we should know what percentage level of the thyroid so that we can go for an conclusion of curable by medicine or she should go for an operation.

-could any one suggest me the best thyroid doctor in chennai.
    -whether she should take any food control or what are the foods she should take.

Is thyroid problem is so serious.Pls help me.
    Any further suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks
    Aana

2. geethas

geethas New IL'ite

Hello aana

It is not so serious unless it is malignant by biopsy report.

If there is a obvious swelling in the neck with charecteristic symptoms we have to remove.

any other symptoms like palpitation,giddiness,incresed appetide,heat intolerence is there

3. tinasarolia

tinasarolia New IL'ite

hi aana,
    this is tina sarolia ur mother can take medicine it is not compulsory to go for operation even my mother in law and sister in law have thyriod problemand they r taking some thyroxin tablet of 100mg depend upon their thyriod so u must consult good doctor and take proper advice because tyriod r of type of two types which type of thyriod ur mother is having u must ask to ur mother in one type of thyriod u become excessive fat and in another type of thyriod u r loosing too much weight hope that u get some information

4. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Thyroid can be effectively cured by radio-active Iodine-131. In Chennai Appolo Hospital they are providing this treatment. If you need further info. and help you can contact Dr. P.G.G. Kurup, Head, Department of Radiotherapy. Please go through the link where the treatment is outlined.

http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Radioactive_ Iodine_FAQ.pdf

Regards,

TDU

5. Rogo

Rogo New IL'ite

Hi Aana,

My mother also faced the same problem.She rapidly lost weight...within 4 months she came down from 62 to 50 ...
    She vists Dr.Moorthy in T.Nagar ...he has his clinic in Moosa St.
    He is very famous ...and I guess one of the best in the town.

Why dont you try him ?

If you need more information,Pls let me know.

6. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Hai Aana,

Thyroid is a very common thing nowadays. My mother is having thyroid since 1985. But she is only on tablets and there is no other problem that she is facing. Thyroid cannot be cured by doing operation. My suggestion would be take another opinion(s) from different doctor(s). Your mother may have to just take tablets everyday for the rest of her life or till the doctor tells, to keep thyroid levels under control.

There is no need for an operation unless there are lumps in the Thyroid glands. This the doctor will have to determine by scanning. Either ways, it is always better to take opinion from another doctor.

Don't worry. I hope everything goes smooth.

Best wishes,
    Amitha

7. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

By the way I forgot to mention, some doctor told my mother also that she has to go in for an operation for thyroid and that it would cost Rs. 25,000. We consulted another doctor, he also told the same thing, without even seeing the scanning report. Most of them just want to make money, by operating ignorant human beings. Proceed very carefully. Don't fall for their tricks.

We went to another doctor in St. Johns Hospital, Bangalore. He asked us to get the scanning done again and re-did the whole procedure. Then he told that my mother's thyroid level was infact improving and that she had to reduce the medicine dosage. There was no lumps or any such thing.

This happened 2 years back and my mother is just fine. So hope for the best and be careful. I do not know any doctors in Chennai. But the doctor to whom my mother goes to in Bangalore is really a good one.

As regards the food, ask your mother not to eat cabbage, ladies finder, Cauliflower - these provoke the thyroid hormones.

All the best,
    Amitha

8. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I an a thyroid malfunction patient since last 13 yrs.Initially I was a hypothyroid patient wherein body makes low level of hormones leading to..period problems,weight gain,constipation,general low metabolism.this is becoming very common among ladies in India maybe due stress..esp urban areas
    medication was thyroxin supplement daily...

After a few yrs my body started producing more of the hormones..even stopping medicine did not work..My body was producing antibodies fighting against my own body!!! Now I became hyperthyroid patient.leading to palpitation,tremors,weight loss naming few...
    after watching for few months my doctor decided that I shud go for radio-active treatment..simple words..oral 1 time dose to sort of knock down the gland..now medically My glands are not existent for which..I take supplements lifelong...my blood tests are done regularly every 6 months...
    according to doctors I am fit & fine...but I still have slight tremors,palpitation at age 44..i have learnt to live like this...I try to avoid stress...
    secretly I believe doctors themselves r not knowing wot to do..with most diseases..allergies..stress..tension words thrown at patients...means that they have nothing more to say

yoga & pranayam helps...I have been lazy & not tried really!!!
    In mumbai few doctors r very gud...but no medical advances have been made in recent yrs suprisingly..

Bye for now..any questions..do write

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  9. sushmasampath

sushmasampath New IL'ite

hi ana,

you have mentioned the symtoms as only wt loss,but if she is having any other symtoms like feeling her own heart beat,excessive sweating,anxiety,tremors...goes in favour of hyperthyroidism,that is excessive of thyroid harmones being secreted than usual leading to the symptoms.is she having any visible swelling in the neck on swallowing?

If she is having any of the above symtoms,please get a thyroid function test done,it is a simple blood test which reveals the function of gland.

you can take a second opinion regarding surgery.

10. padmaakkaraju

padmaakkaraju New IL'ite

hey

in my opinion yoga and pranayama will definetly cure your mother's prob. you can learn them from cds/dvds available in any stores
    or just go to .:: Divya Yog Mandir (Trust) ::.

padma