1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need some perspective. after 5 years of marriage..

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by madeinindia, Jun 15, 2010.

1. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Yes you are right! At the first go even if we have clarity we need adequate family support to implement them.

2. ArunaSashi

ArunaSashi Bronze IL'ite

Unfortunately, spouses are not custom-made.. The person comes as a package.. So one does not get to add or subtract their qualities..

Exactly!

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

MadeInIndia,
    You have got some very good insights into your issue.I'd like to add mine here. My case is similar to you too. MY DH is laid back and not social and does not even go ahead if people offer friendships.I used to be so hurt earlier when this used to happen. Now, I am used to it. It is just a personality difference,isn't it? We need to accept different personalities.

In my opinion, you are just stressed out with 'responsibilities'. This is because it is always in your hands to plan outings,do the necessary home chores,arrange home etc. But, I would say see the positive in this!!! Your DH trusts you so much that he allows you to take up all the resposnsibilities. Some men do not allow their wives to even decide a simple thing like the next vacation trip. If you are feeling that you have too much in your hands and no time then delegate tasks to your DH. Gauri has given some excellent tips on how to get your DH to help you in everything.

You mention that you are more intelligent/educated/smart than him.May be your Dh has realized this and that's why he is so laid back. I know its a funny reason but it does happen. Happened with me too. In our life,I am even doing job hunting for my DH,Can you believe it:crazy ? He is so much laid back. Does that mean he cannot do it on his own? NO. He is just happy and content to have me make his decisions for him. He trusts me too. I take care of everything in our lives. I do feel worked up at times and those days, I tell DH to handle if there is anything to be done.

Your issue(is it even one???) is actually a positive in your marriage. It shows that DH has confided in you a lot. Just relax and enjoy the journey. Nothing to worry about.

Do come back and let us know how you are feeling:)

All The best

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. madeinindia

madeinindia New IL'ite

Thank you all for your replies. Sometimes I think I need someone to shake me up and say - what are u fretting about ? You have got a husband who loves you - just shut up and be happy. I think some of your answers served to do that for which I am thankful.
    Unfortuantely, this feeling keeps creeping back...preventing me from being happy for a long period of time. Many of you said that the fact that I get to take the decisions is great and is in fact a positive. But though that is true, I am scared of my controlling in-laws.
    I think I need to provide more background here :
    My husband's dad is very controlling and protective. I feel he never let my husband grow and still wants to take all our decisions like when we move back to India, he keeps investing our money in India - he always consults with us - but IMO he does not need to do this. He even says so much that they will take our baby (when its born) to India with them so that we will be free - when we have not even asked them for it. Its not a choice, he makes the decisons and lets us know. Actually, his mom is the one who is incredibly insecure about not ahving her only son with her in their old age and even about money and I feel she is the remote controller of my FIL.
    My loving,caring husband becomes a doll in front of his parents. He even shys away from showing me affection when they are around and tries to act as if he runs the show. Right now, we are on our own away from them. But long term the plan is to stay with them since my husband is the only son. Due to all the torture I went thru at the hands of my MIL...just thinking about this sends chills down my spine. It was very much like what we see in Hindi serials...she tried every trick in the book - like suggesting that I have a communicable disease since I was having undiagnosed stomach pain - and preventing my husband from drinking from the same glass, always criticisign me. My FIL told me that I am too average looking compared to my husband (my husbadn is handsome) and that I havea horrible haristyle and I should change my smile! These things really affected me - even though I was such a confident girl.Only after lot of effort from my SIL (who is a gem) and husband did they stop their torture and I got my self-esteem back. But I am like a burnt child - I fear them to an extent of paranoia whcih I know is not right either since sometimes I fidn issues even in their well meaning statements.
    So what i dream of, is to make my husband a confident and smart guy who can stand up to his controlling father. Then I won't have anything to worry. Anyways, right now,there is hardly any involvement from them in our day to day lives..but still I am struggling...and that is what I want to address. I want to find the happy equation with my husband - so that no one can come between us. The only way this is possible is to give my husband room like you all have suggested...I think ths is what I must focus on.

5. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Your problem is the ILs - deal with that directly if needed. If your SIL and DH stopped the IL problem, you need to be thankful to them. So thats what you need to be feeling and not trying to change him now.

6. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Let me start by saying that I am sailing in the same boat as u in terms of DH being laid back. But for me its a good thing, since I make all the plans and drive him. He just follows suit, I would not like the other way round.

Coming to making your DH bold and confident, I dont think thats easy. If you had said, " I am going to stand up to my FIL" thats doable but your DH has been submissive for 30 + years and suddenly opposing his dad is not every easy. You be the king player and talk to your FIL and put a stop to his overbearing ways and as usual your DH will follow suit.

goodluck.

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I would HATE that and will run away, LOL!

Gosh, did you get used to it? or do you actually wanted it that way? Lucky it worked out for both of you. Thats great, thats why there are different personalities, if it matches and works out, thats fantastic.

8. sarma

sarma Senior IL'ite

OP,

Though you may not realize it, IMO, you have a 'driver' personality. I'd suspect that you'd be miserable with a 'wife driver' hubby though you feel you will learn to respect such a hubby (only if the alpha male tendencies are in moderate state).

Because of your 'in control' attitude you seem to think that a more aggressive hubby could be managed/moulded in a way you will be comfortable but that's not always possible. Once the genie (an alpha male personality) is out of the bag, (not that it's possible in the same person, say you replaced one hypothetically), it's possible that you will be suffocated not knowing why it's not in a tolerable range for you.

So be glad that you are dealt the hand that you are dealt. I think God has been extremely kind to you. If you are thankful you will make the best of it. But if you always fancy what's on the other side of the fence, you will always look over the fence and miss your own beautiful garden.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  9. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

I waiting and waiting for DH to plan and take initiative on all things but nothing happened and our life was stagnating, then I took the reins and he just followed. First was grumbling and later just left things to me.

Now I actually enjoy it and wouldnt want him to buck up and take charge... LOL

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Interesting - I recollect earlier you used to post your DH was very controlling and trying to dominate in finances etc. He hardly sounded 'laid back' like you now mentioned he is.