1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Need rice alternatives - How do you avoid carb cravings

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by MeenLoch, Aug 12, 2010.

1. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

I am going to jump the gun and answer this one. Proteins from vegetarian sources are called incomplete proteins. They lack certain amino acids. In order to make it a complete protein, you need to mix a variety of protein sources. Dal with any grain make the protein complete - whatever thing lentils are missing is compensated by the grain.

Search for complete and incomplete proteins and you will get tons of articles.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Also my understanding is protein/fiber helps or rather slows down the way carbs are converted to sugars - faster conversion can make you hungry quicker as well as spike the blood sugars.

Quinoa seeds are supposedly very high in protein and a handful of the seeds can easily be cooked with rice and eaten. They are quite tasty when cooked by themselves as well - I like cooking and eating these seeds.

Meen, coming to your original query, I agree with all of them that rice is not the only culprit but also it is not really difficult to take rice away from our diet. With gestational diabetes in both my pregnancies, I have been asked by my doc to cut back on rice and now after 4 years, I barely eat rice or crave for it.

As for rice alternatives, I moved to brown rice and then switched to cracked wheat now and I started off cooking foods like bisibelebath (here you really cannot make out what rice is used!!) and now I eat cracked wheat with quinoa seeds just like white rice....I still cook it for kids. I have also included regural exercise and both coupled I feel more energetic, lost a lot of weight and feel am getting more wholesome meal. Minus rice, I am more conscious of veggies, other proteins and my cooking includes more varieties now. Incidentally just this morning I read in yoga Journal this and I quote "Enticed with Basmati Rice Brown rice is often acclaimed by nutritionists and health-conscious Westerners as a top source for fiber and bran. But Ayurveda embraces white Basmati rice, because it's easier to digest and brings the three doshas—vata, pitta, and kapha—into balance." and as they put very nicely, it is all about "eating wisely". I would not totally stop white rice, but alternate on certain days and then reduce it to once or twice a week :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Aswini has touched on what I was talking about. I would add though that depending on the bean and depending on the grain, you could still not have your proteins balanced and the addition of dairy (glass of milk, some curd, ice cream, cheese) can easily balance your proteins. In balancing proteins, the least level of the amino acids to be balanced will be the level at ALL of them are absorbed so this is very important to do. The animal sources of protein (meat, milk, eggs) are naturally balanced and for this reason are easier ways to get balanced protein. In children protein levels are so important for proper brain development and height attainment and the addition of at least eggs for kids is in my opinion a very good idea. In viewing the Indian diet, I think that one of the best meals is the thali plate. A little of all sorts of sources in one meal. The scariest (if consumed regularly) is those meals of rice, chapati and potatoes.....low protein and a carb overload. Potato should not be viewed as a vegetable but as a starch. I also suspect that Indian mithai such as cashew burfi or milk pedas has helped in in protein balance and for those physically active the calorie level is not that big a deal.

4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Thanks for all the inputs..I already load my plate with more veggies in form of kootu(with lentils it fills my tummy) and dhals/lentils, also I tried brown rice.( I liked it, but white rice gives me a different feeling altogether). Fortunately I don't take rice during nights..
    From your suggestions I will try Quinoa and oats some days of week.

Thanks for removing some of the guilt i have had for years. Extreme measures have never worked for me. I binge eventually.

On lighter note, here is what I wrote about my love for rice sometime back.

5. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Another alternative to reducing the food intake is drinking protein shakes. It keeps you full and you can skip a meal and at the same time uptake your protein. I have been doing this for about 3 months now and lost 3 dress sizes. There are several flavors available. The one I get is Monster Milk.

Thanks,
    Oopall

6. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

I switched to brown rice too but yes it doesn't give you the heavenly feeling of eating white rice. Try a variety of grains - I use bulghur,brown rice, quinoa (in the form of dosa), sometimes oats. I dont completely eliminate white rice. I eat it very rarely ( once a month ).

I have this very silly question for a long time. White rice is bad because of its low fiber level and hence people advocate brown rice.So, if I eat more fiber with the meal (say some salad ), then wont the fiber level be compensated? would eating white rice be OK in that case?

Any thoughts?

7. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Ashwini,
    The vitamin and fiber content of the white rice is very little compared to the brown rice. In moderation I suppose white rice is ok. Anything white is not really good for us. It goes through a lot more processing.
    I have a sibling who is diabetic and she has the same issue, can't stay away from starchy foods, everything - white bread, white rice, white sugar. I was trying to educate her on foods that are better for diabetes. I asked her to give up all white things...she laughed and said do I have to give up my husband as well ( he is white).:rotflNO silly!!

Back to you question regarding the fiber compensation through another source, it is always a good idea to add more fibre to our diets.

Thanks,
    Oopall

8. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

:rotfl.. Nice one!

I am a health freak but I succumb to cravings and good food.I always tell my mother to cut down the starch in the meal.Its very tough for her since thats how she has been eating for decades.Atleast this generation should make wise food choices so that the next generation can learn from us.