Need real advice regarding mangalsutra

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by nehadeshmukh, Jun 8, 2010.

1. nehadeshmukh

nehadeshmukh New IL'ite

I am just married, and my husband belongs to a different community, like ours was a love marriage. I come from a rather unorthodox family and have never been into much of traditional and religious stuff. After marriage,i am supposed to wear mangalsutra compulsory 24/7. Its like compulsory and my mother in law has strictly instructed me to wear it. The problem is that it is too heavy for me to wear all time. Mine is a typical double chain of black beads with intermittent gold plates , a large gold pendant and chain is around 30 inches long. Its like their traditional custom and even my mother in law is wearing similar one , so they are specific about this one (they din't want me to wear ant other design). Even my husband opts me to wear it, says i should be proud of it. I am not fond of jewelery and have hardly wore anything before marriage. Still i have no issues in wearing it all time but its just too heavy. It really gets uncomfortable at night. Its like over a month and am trying to get used to it, still if anyone has any suggestion please tell me .should i just say that i cannot wear it and need a smaller one or should i continue with this, i may get used to it. Please advice !!!

2. AkhilaaSaras

AkhilaaSaras Gold IL'ite

Hi neha,

As per indian tradition after marriage women use to wear the mangalsutra always for her husband's welfare. A small happiness and peacefull araises from it. after some years you can change he mangalsutra to a different gold chain in an auspicious day... tht doesnt matter. But do ot after some years. Till that feel happy to wear it...
    Keep posting in IL!!!!