1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need insights.. pls advice

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by headspin, Jan 29, 2013.

1. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

im back after a long time. mainly because im back to being on bench :).

ok, my confusion now - have a 3.3 yr old DS who will join school soon. i have few concerns, but first my background. warning - it might get long :)

1. DS school admission to lkg
    2. My work
    3. Financial issues
    4. In laws support
    5. husbands business
    6. DS nature

1. there are 2 options - on school 'A' near where i stay. and school 'B' which is 30 kms away from where i stay. A is a cool school, with cosmo crowd and not the typiucal homeowrks kind of school. they dont load students with homework, have extra curricular activities, etc. no written exams till 5th std. after 5th they are like ay other school. my dh and i prefer this school ANYDAY as we dont want to burden the child and rather become independent. school B is typical school which gives booklets of homework everyweekend and plus everyday normal homeowrk. very study oriented and no extra curricular activities. we are not in favor of this, unless there is no option at all. its our last preference.

2. my work place is near school B. if he gets in A, i might have to quit my high paying job. while in B, i can continue working. i cant leave job as i have some committments. can look for other jobs, but cant be jobless more than a month as my loans get auto debited every month...

3. i have to loan of around 6 lacs more .. and hence cannot leave work. dh pays for his/dad loans and takes care of house expenses. so depending on him is not an option

4. ILs are overall nice, except they interfere in every decision. they are used to controlling their kids and now want to control me. unfortunately, my DS and I are similar in temparament and nature - we will never be in mil's control :). they do love my DS like crazy.. which is a good thing. they cared for DS till he was 2 (though with vacations in between, due to which i got depromoted and nearly lost my job). But i would prefer to look at the good part. now, they have clearly told not to depend on them, though we have to live together as a joint family. they will take care, but i need to take leave as and when they need to travel/go out/ etc.. plus fil decides and mil BLINDLY follows his word. no matter what - his word is FINAL for her.

5. dh runs a business. he is making money, but not enough to sustain the joint families and not enough for me to leave job. he too doesnt want me to leave work. in fact ILs too dont want me to quit because they know the business situation. plus he travels atleast once a week for 2-3 days (not on weekends).

6. DS is 3.3 now. till he turned 2, in laws took care. but they kept travelling and hence i was forced to take leaves. obviously my job /career/salary got hit big time. finally put him in day care and he is very happy there. now, in laws travel even more and dont have ANY responsibility of DS. since last 3 months, DS has become very moody and doesnt like ILs coming near them. shouts, screams, temper tantrums, etc etc - which i hope is just a phase :). otherwise, he is an intelligent and healthy child. shows all his love to me and some to my dh :hide:. but he is cut off from in laws and sil. goes to them only when i scold...

with the above background - help me decide how do i manage with DS school and my work. if he goes to school A, i will have to leave at 7 am in the morning due to travel. and i can get back only by 7 pm.. i can cook and go. but other things like bathing, eating, etc etc?? with his current moods, he will be very difficult to ILs. and frankly, they cant be strict with him now. if he HAS to continue in B, school and day care both will be new to him. we have searched for umpteen maids, but no one stays for more than a month due to fil. he gets dis satisfied with every small thing. and as explained before, there is no way in which mil will not follow fil's orders.

pls help me decide what to do...

2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dont focus on your work-place and your commuting and the need to work, right now you're not going to leave your job, right??? You need to work, you already have a job, your DH and ILs arent objecting to your job!!!

So the main question is which school for your DS!!!

Answer yourself and you can make a choice!
    1) Do you really want a 3 year old to travel 30 kms every single day ???
    2) Is 3 the age you want to start pressure on homeworks and exams without any extra-curricular activities??
    3) Can you postpone the school decision for another 3 years when he reaches 1st std and then think of good schools?
    4) If yes, for now focus on his safety, health and enjoyment and look for a good play school + creche + activity centre where they have some transportation system too????
    4) Does school A have all the above ?
    5) If not, Whenever your inlaws travel, can you find some backup creche/daycare nearby where your DS can be dropped by schoolbus and where you/your DH can pick him after work ??
    6) Can you wake up early and send DS to day care before you leave at 7:00 AM ? Let your MIL cook later, you do only your and DS breakfast !!! Kids will get adjusted to any schedule we set them up with !!

1 person likes this.
  3. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

Thanks hrastro for responding :)

My answers are:

For 1 , 2 and 3 - BIG NO..
    Can do #4 - but he is not getting admission in school A. im still trying, but not sure he will get.
    #5 and ^ is not a problem at all. i can even miss my sleep for finishing all the work. the problem is NO day care opens at 7 am :). so even if i want, i cannot drop him anywhere before 9 am

i told these issues to in laws - esp mil. she KNOWS she cannot handle DS - especially waking him up, feeding him milk, bathing, dressing him up, sending him school on time. i told her the tasks, but she kept quiet.. because she herself knows she cannot manage

last week i had to go to a school at 7 am to get the forms.. mil went beserk trying to do what i do everyday.. multitasking. result - DS was late to school by 30 mins (his principal scolded me), DH dint get lunch , though i had made it (she dint pack it).. basically she is VERY slow and mind doesnt work as quickly as us. im not blaming her - but even she knows she cannot handle everything... infact dh told me his mom cannot manage and not to depend on her (he was pisd off).

what im thinking is... do a medical transcriptuion training and work on it.. take sabattical from current job for a year. of course, MT will not pay me even half of what im earning.. but in the long run, for keeping me busy it will work.

4. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Dear headspin,
    *Don't u have any other options other than school A or B which is near to your house as well as a creche? Because a 3.3 year child travelling 60 KMs a day is too much.
    * Do u own the house u live ? If not , shift to a house near your workplace which will be convenient both for u and ur DS.
    * Try for a maid who does all the extra works like chopping veggies , vessels , clothes , decluttering , cleaning the kitchen platform etc. etc. What u should do is only cook for ur family . Rest of the work the maid does. If possible try this. She can come in the evenings after u come from work also.
    * What i feel is quitting a high paying job at this moment brings mental pressure to u which is more disturbing .

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Then I would suggest, get him ready by 7 am and let him play at home till his school bus comes or can your DH drop him at school??? Focus on yours and DS food, your MIL can pack DH lunch??

Do a tour of the creches around - there are some that are 24 hours open !!

Dont leave your job unless you've tried out all the possible options (including shifting nearer your workplace)!!

Dont you have any montessori like Eurokids, Kidzee etc nearby - they are good enough till 1st standard - 3 year olds dont need big schools, they're happier in smaller ones !! (My opinion - you dont have to agree :) )

Off the top of my head - this has worked with some people - but dont do it if it is uncomfortable to you - - Most workers at the creches will need extra cash - if you like a creche, you can ask the attendant at the creche to come early to your house at 7:00 A.m and take DS along when the creche opens