Need Information about CPA

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Nalini, May 3, 2007.

1. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Yes - it is necessary to get your Indian credentials evaluated here. I see that you are in PA - contact the PA Board of Accountancy and ask them to give you the evaluators that they recommend and take it from there. I got mine done through an agency in Chicago - I had to send them details of all the courses taken in India - including syllabus and grades received and degree certificate, etc. I did mine years ago - a lot must have changed in this regard. The reason that they do this is to equate your Indian degree to a US equivalent and let you know what additional subjects that you might have to take to qualify to take the exam. Couple of obvious subjects are Income Tax and Business Law which are entirely different in India and hence the need to take additional classes in these subjects. Depending on your degree from India, this would vary. So I would suggest you call the board in PA and talk to someone regarding how to go about doing this now.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

2. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Shobana,

Thank you very much for the information.

I will check with them. I jus did my B.com in India. and before proceeding to CPA, I got to do US federal Taxation. I did enquired with Duquesne University and they have a couse called "Incomtax Accounting". Planning to register for that. 3 credit points & duration is 4 months(weekly one class)
    Before that I have a question. How far the course is useful / what are the benefits ? I mean even if I wont do CPA, how this course is going to help me in finding a job in US ? Because, currently we are not in a position to spend money (as i recently gave birth to a baby girl) and we got so many commitments back in India. And am in H4, so cant work here. So it will take another 2/3 years to join CPA. I dont think I can clear the course by studying myself. So need to join Becker class, which is highly costly. So first thought of doing this course, which will be useful in future also. How far this course will help me getting a job here in US? I want to apply for H1B next year.

Pl advise in this regard.

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Regarding taking a class in Income Tax accounting, it will be helpful to you in case you are aiming towards the CPA. I will tell you one more thing here - now the requirements have changed to qualify to write the CPA. I believe that you need to have 150 hrs - which is equivalent 120 hrs in undergrad and an addtional 30 hrs in grad school. If you only have a
    B Com from India, you might have to get additional hours before you can take the exam. Not sure if taking one class will be helpful in getting a job. The reason I say this is because the potential employer is going to look at your education and experience - if you dont have either from this country, it is a bit difficult. I know that a lot of folks take the H&R Block Income tax course (you could check on this online at their website) - that course has some good training to become a tax preparer. That may not count towards the 150 hrs but will help understand the income tax rules and requirements better.

4. sriha

sriha Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am planning to CPA in near future, but I have few questions:

- I have done B.Com and MCA thru distance education. Is it recognised?

- I have also completed CA Inter from India. Is it countable?

- Do I need to do a separate course here to earn CPA?

Please help me in this regard

With Regards
    Sriha

5. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much Shobana...I too saw the advertisement in one of the H&R Block....let me check the website....

6. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Sriha
    You will have to get your credentials evaluated here in order for it to be recognised. See my response in this thread to Subha regarding getting your credentials evaluated. Contact your state board of accountancy to get the details. EAch state will vary on their requirements. In order to take the exam itself, you can take a review class - that is totally up to you whether you want to do it or not. Check out Becker CPA,etc - they coach you for the exam. Hope this helps.

7. veenaanand0705

veenaanand0705 New IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum and really hope to find valuable advice soon here.I want to pursue my CPA from the mass board.I have all my education from Pune,iNdia..I am a Bcom graduate with CA Foundation(1st Year) cleared and also 3 years of articleship with Deloittes Haskins and Sells.Inwant to know if all this will help me cover the 120 credits required by the mass board to sit for the eaxm or not?Mass board requires 150 credits only for the license.I am a bit hesitent to send my degrees for evaluation to CED and lose 160$ now coz i want somne advice and suggestions fro all of you whether i might cover 120 credits or not..Please reply soon.Waiting for your valuable suggestions

8. ramya978

ramya978 New IL'ite

Hey Veena...
    know this is an old post... was just surfing thru this forum... wanted to ask whether your done?? im too doing CPA from Mass