Need information about adding spouse name in passport

Discussion in 'Personal Services' started by seetha, Aug 2, 2009.

1. seetha

seetha New IL'ite

Hi,

I want to add my name in my husband's passport.He took his passport in Trichy and we are currently residing at chennai, K.K.Nagar.I need information whether my husband can add my name in chennai RPO, chennai/ he has to update my name in Trichy RPO?

What are all the documents needs to be attached apart from Marriage Certificate?

Till now i dont have a passport, i am planning to apply for a new passport, adding my name in My husband's passport will help to get my passport easier

Please provide your information as soon as possible.

Thanks in Advance

By
    Seetha,

2. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    You will need to fill a form for spouse name addition. You would need your marriage snap or any other snap taken together.
    You can get it added on the same day you submit the form. It can be done either in Chennai or Trichy as it is a miscellaneous service.

Regarding your passport, you can add your husband's name when you apply for a fresh passport.
    Feel free to send me your queries.

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Sorry to deviate this thread .. May i know some related details please.

Is adding spouse name in a passport "a must"

Both of us got our own passports.. applied before marriage .. so we don't have any reference of spouse name in it.. Came across many threads raising similar question, so got confused if this was a mandatory ?

Please share here the details. Thanks.

4. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

even i have a question, my father's name is made as my last name as per passport which i took during school days, if i change it to my husband's name, my last name itself will change rite?

Does it require a name change ?

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi even I want spouse name to be added in my passport.
    Ubellah, can we get this done at any passport office irrespective of which had issued us the same? Please let me know this because both of our passports are issued form different offices.And to add spouse name in both should we be submitting two separate forms along with 2 photos?

6. sowmya.madhu

sowmya.madhu Senior IL'ite

Dear ladies,
    Adding spouse name is not a must in case you are not travelling as dependent. But yes it is a good idea to get it included right after wedding. This service can be availed from any passport office along with the copy of your marriage certificate and photos(generally not asked for) if required. This will take a day and the passport will be returned back to you the next day.

In case you have your passport and want to change you name in the passport (is not advisable if you are working as it leads to lot of complications) you will first need to change name through notary and publish it in the local and national newpaper and have to submit the same proof to the passport office. The correction will be made in the same passport and given back to you.

If it is a fresh passport application then there is no issue at all, you can furnish all the required documents to include your spouse name in the passport as well.

Even though I did not travel with my hubby as a dependent I got his name included in my passport for safety reasons!!

Hope this helps. In case you need any further information do let me know.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi sowmya,

Thanks for clearing our doubt sowmya ..Me too wanted to add my husband's anme , but i thought my last name too will get changed due to this, because i don't want to change my name

thanks again.

8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Sowmya thanks for the fb.

9. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

Just an add-on..
    Spouse name addition will be useful when you are applying for a passport for your kids. In that case it is mandatory.

10. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

Buy a Rs 20/= Non judicial Paper, Go to a Nottery Advocate, ask him to make a deed. He will prepare one sign before him and hand over the paper to Passport office. That's what I did. It was approved and passport given.