1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need info on Autism / Rett syndrome

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Blossom, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Blossom

Blossom New IL'ite

One of my relatives daughter is 2 years old. Just now the doctors identified that she has Autism(Rett syndrome). It is really sad to know that she is suffering from this.

Pls. can anyone let me more about this and share any information regarding this. They say it is not curable. Is there no cure for it. Pls. let me know..

Thanks!

2. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

Re: Need info on Rett syndrome..

My S-I-L's son is Autistic.....yes there is no cure yet...this is not a disease,its a condition....i myself dont know much about it....but from the very little i know...these kids live in a world of their own..their major draw back is communication....they just repeat what they hear instead of understanding the meaning&replying...there are special schools in U.S....(dont know about India)where they teach the kids how to take care of themselves in day to day life and other vocational skills.....i have heard of some kids who,after attending special school have been transfered to normal school based on their performance...but these kids may not have a normal academic background...the parents need to focus on social&vocational skills......you can read up more on the net..

3. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Re: Need info on Rett syndrome..

Hi! Blossom,

Sad to hear about your relatives daughter.

I don't have much info on this but my very dear friend & also IL member teaches Autistic children. She's a post graduate in Human Development & Child psychology with specialization in dealing with Autism. She may be of some help to you, she lives in Chennai.

If you're interested you can PM me.

Ragini.

4. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

Autism

hello friends,
    I like to share some details about Autism. This is a brain disorder seen in kids around 3 years.

What Does Autism Mean?

Autism causes kids to experience the world differently from the way most other kids do. It's hard for kids with autism to talk with other people and express themselves using words. Kids who have autism usually keep to themselves and many can't communicate without special help.

What Causes Autism?

Autism affects about 1 in every 150 kids, but no one knows what causes it. Some scientists think that some kids might be more likely to get autism because it or similar disorders run in their families. Knowing the exact cause of autism is hard because the human brain is very complicated.

Doctors say that there is no cure for autism. But special teachers can help kids with autism overcome or adjust to many difficulties.The earlier a kid starts treatment for autism, the better.

More details from Autism

Friends, let us discuss about this topic in detail in this thread....

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  5. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

Re: Autism

hello,
    i came to know about this syndrome (?!) from an article in a weekly. Children left unattended without care and warmth, watching TV often, imitating TV characters, hyperactive or sometimes very idle are prone to develop autism.Is this true?. Parents pls give out your suggestions.

regards
    karthiga:wave

6. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Karthiga,
    My freind has twins(both of them boys)One of them is autistic..i'll try to post the info which she had told me..
    Firstly ,reason for autism is actually unknown..It migh tbe due to a genetic disorder or environmental causes..Irony is that autism cannot be cured..Though there are medicines and therapies..But learnt from her that medicines can only keep the symptoms under control..
    autistic kids find difficult to communicate with others..They are stereo typed..
    My friend's kid go to a special school and now he is 6 yrs old and now he is able to talk much better than he could before and able to learn things infact at a slow pace..

Ramya

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
  7. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

hello ramya,
    Thanks for your kind reply. At which age did your friend detect that her boy was not normal?. Any symptoms to be visibly noticed?. pls reply.

regards
    karthiga:wave

8. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

karthiga,
    when the boy was around 2 1/2 my friend suspected that something was wrong with this kid as the other one was very normal and was well ahead of this one in achieving his milestones..So she consulted with the paediatrician and they tested this boy and found him to be autistic..

:wave
    Ramya

9. anukyasa

anukyasa New IL'ite

Well , Autism Autism Autism

seems like this term is annoying me now a days.
    I stay in UK and I have a daughter who is 13 months.Recently she is given MMR vaccine and I heard that MMR is a controversial vaccine .
    MMR is a common Vaccine for Meascles , Mumms and Rubella .

Some of them link MMR with Autism . They say that children given MMR vaccine are sometimes prone to Autism .

"Dr Wakefield says he has evidence that children's behaviour changed drastically shortly after they received the MMR jab. "

He says: "This is a genuinely new syndrome and urgent further research is needed to determine whether MMR may give rise to this complication in a small number of people." Dr Wakefield theorises that the combination of the three virus strains contained in MMR may overload the body's immune system and cause the bowel disorder to develop.
    The measles virus has been found in the guts of children with a form of autism, renewing fears over the safety of the MMR jab.
    American researchers have revealed that 85 per cent of samples taken from autistic children with bowel disorders contain the virus. The strain is the same as the one used in the measles, mumps and rubella triple vaccine.

Parents say their children were developing normally until they had the MMR jab, given when a child is between 12- and 18-months-old. The children now suffer from regressive autism.
    One theory is that the virus passes through the gut, causing damage, and into the bloodstream, from where it is able to attack the brain.

Researchers say that the link between mmr and autism is simply a coincidence “because autism usually occurs at about the age of 18 months”, shortly after the administration of the MMR vaccine.

Many Researchers and Scientists have done lot of research and say that there is no link between MMR and Autism .

But there is still lot of confusion and controversy going on, and hope there is no such relation between mmr and autism ,and hope that scientists and researchers discover a good remedy for autistic children .

Well lets hope that mmr does not cause autism.
    This article I'm writing is not to fear others but its for general awareness.

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame