1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

need info about cupertino

Discussion in 'New to Bay Area' started by chinmunni, Feb 6, 2008.

1. chinmunni

chinmunni New IL'ite

hi everyone,

we shall be moving to cupertino early this june with 2 kids from india, i need info abt the following;

1. Indians in cupertino....whether they are friendly, any close groups with contact info or website which meet regularly
    2,Info abt collins elementary school, the no of indian kids , behaviour of other american kids with indian kids (any racism?) the extra curricular activities etc
    3.how do indian kids spend their after school hours at home usefully,,,,what are the various options...esp for 8yr age group boys
    4. day care facilities in the area pref indian day care as my younger one is not potty trained yet
    5.public transport and how safe is it to travel alone when hubby is off to work
    6.all the relevant info abt indians,,,,like nearby restaurants,temples, how ppl celebrate indian festivals, pot luck parties etc etc
    7.Info abt ALOHA ABACUS MATH training institutes
    8.general weather conditions throughout the year.i know compared to east coast the weather is good in west coast, but my concern is how do the kids spend time in winter when they cannot go out to play.
    9.doctors availability and the walk-in clinics
    hey,,,,,,,,,, all the gals n ladies out there plzzzzzz pour in with your ideas and personal experiences.....it will b of great help.

2. DudeWithAttitude

DudeWithAttitude New IL'ite

you dont have to worry about anything in cupertino, mostly asian kids, Indian and Chinese, you get everything you want in bay area, in fact more than what you want sometimes! :biggrin2: good luck!

3. chinmunni

chinmunni New IL'ite

hello dudewithattitude,

thanks for the reply.I know bay area is a good place to live in for an indian kind of life.Im looking for some specific info which would be of great help if someone replied...let me see. thanks to you anyways.

4. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Welcome to the US / bay area. This is a very good place to live esp for Indians. Cupertino is very close to Sunnyvale and Santa clara and has a fairly large Indian population. If you plan to live in an apartment complex you will meet plenty of other Indians. There are plenty of Indian restaurants, grocery stores etc. The school district is very good too. If you are coming here in June, it will be summertime and the weather will by very pleasant - a few days are quite hot too. The winter is ok here it does get pretty cold although there is no snowfall. You will need a good jacket / sweater. Re public transportation, it is very safe to use and you will find it far less crowded than in India. However the buses are not very frequent and it will take a long time to get to various places. It is best to buy a car. If you have to use public transportation, buy a monthly pass so it is cheaper. visit Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority for information on transportation in the santaclara region. The cupertino public library is excellent and offers many programs for children. All the library services are free so you can borrow as many books, cd's, dvd's etc free of cost. they also have an extensive collection of hindi, tamil, telugu movies.
    hope this info is useful for you.

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi

Welcome to the Bay area. Mythreyi has already given you a lot of information. You could go online and google City of Cupertino. You should get the city website , which will also have links to schools, library, community center ( which offers wide variety of classes ) etc...

We do not have Abacus math here, but we do have Kumon. There are centers abound in the whole area. Go to Kumon North America .. and you can locate a center close to your place.

The concept of Walk in clinics does not exist here in the US. You will have to go by whatever insurance yours or hubby's company provides. Yes we have emergency room and afterhours clinics. Only the ER is walk in. All the rest , doc visits are by appointment only. ( and ER is truly emergnecy only..not for the usual cough cold fever etc...)
    About day care, the best will be for youto come here and scout around. I am sure there are plenty of day cares available.
    People are freindly and your son should not have any problems settling in school.

Hope this helps.
    Vandhana