Need help with pronuncing British English

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by Thilagavathi, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Thilagavathi

Thilagavathi New IL'ite

Re: Pronunciation English.

Morning Abha,

Thanks starts with letter 'T'... and you said I should stick my tounge out of my mounth when I say it...

I am a little confused here. Don't I put the tip of my tounge behind the upper teeth when I say alphabet 'T'... why is it different when it comes to thanks...:idontgetit:

Thank you for your time..Abha:)

Cheers
    Thilaga

2. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

yaa i agree thanks start with T... but its all about sound, TIME and thanks isnt the sound of T different Time the T sond like T... but in Thanks T is combined with H so it must sound like "TH"

there is difference between CAT and CHARLIE... Charlie cant sound like "CARLEE" cos u have to combine the sound of H with C.. in the same way Thanks cant sound like " TANKS" then it'll become the WATER TANK. got it ???

u can ask me watever doubts you have...

3. Thilagavathi

Thilagavathi New IL'ite

Hi there,

It has been some times since I hear from you all.

I guess my English accent is getting better know. I am listening to people and watching the way they speak. They all seems to speak differently. I am also listening to the BBC news.

The problem that I am facing is I am not sure which is the right accent. I have many britians in my office but the all seems to speak differently. Some speak like singging. Some speak fast. Some I dont understand...:oops:

Please advice me how to know that I am picking up the right Britain accent.

1 person likes this.
  4. eadna1985

eadna1985 New IL'ite

hi there. i its been 3 years when i came to this country.Ist year <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"> i had same problem as you have.But i improve my pronunciation by making some whites my friend and watching movies and dramas and then try to speak atleast 1 word in their way daily.I hope my reply would b helpful.
    take care bye!
    <TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

5. nureen

nureen New IL'ite

hi to all,even i talk english fluently but here people find little uncomfortable in understanding indian accent.i worked in call center back home,had training from british cuncil india n scored really well but here i'm feeling depressed concerning my language.how to improve any suggestions??