Need help with pronuncing British English

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by Thilagavathi, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Thilagavathi

Thilagavathi New IL'ite

Hi there… I came from a country where English is my second language. I can speak write and read fluent English. I even got band 7 for my IELTS test. However after coming to UK I seem to be having some difficulties to speak to people here. At times they don’t seems to understand what I am trying to say. I guess it’s more of the accent rather than the vocabulary. There is no flow in my conversation.
    This problem seems to be more obvious when I attend meetings or in-group discussions. I don’t want language to be a barrier in my communication.

I am thinking of learning British Pronunciation English. Could anybody give me more opinions on this matter please?

Hope to hear more

Regards
    Thilaga
    ;-)

2 people like this.

2. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Re: Pronunciation English.

Hi Thilaga

I have recieved extensive training on British Accent, but still if I had to speak to a Scottish or an Irish client... i wud get jitters (if you listen to them, u cannot make out that they are speaking english it sounds like any foreign language). I have conversed with a lot of Americans and Britishers, and I have come to a conclusion that British English is the most difficult english...

I can suggest you to watch more of TV programs available to you in UK and slowly gradually u'll pik up the accent... or even if u dont pik up the accent you wud definitely Understand it...

But let me tell you a few basic things...they pronounce every word LITERALLY, i mean as it is... if they have to say "Good Luck" it'll sound as Good LOOK... and as we indians say the word " Salary" loosely as "Salry" but britishers wud say pronounce each letter in the word and wud sound as "SALARY"...

Also they do not pronounce the "ERs" in the end or any word... like "number" if a britisher says that word it will sound as "NOMBA" or lets say the "November" so they'll pronounce it as "NOVEMBA". Basically they dont prefer to pronounce their Rs properly.

On the whole british accent is very CRISP... and while they think they are being very clear in pronouncing each letter in the word... it makes it all the more difficult to understand their language...

All the best
    ~Abha

1 person likes this.
  3. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi thilanga

u can go to the college for english course. i think english people speak very fast. they dont prounonce the entire word, swallow half of the word.
    we r speaking english like we speak our mother tongue. ur right it's all about accent.

bye

4. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Thilanga,

British English is lovely. Like Abha says, you must watch more of your local TV. I got trained in both British and American English. I've worked for UK people for 1 1/2 years. Believe me, it's only confidence and attentiveness. The Irish sound like American's speaking British, the Scot a little more solid and deeper tones. British is lovely. They don't expect you to speak their accent, but if you pick it up, nothing like it.

Their language structure, commonly used phrases are very important. Just pay attention and just feel confident.

Tip: Try using your throat and most words ending with consonants are not pronouced (Eg: Car -R is not pronounced). Get your 'T' sounds and 'D' sound crisp and soft (as Indians we murder the sound). Try Cambridge Advanced Dictionary - it's a good companion for right British pronunciation. The version with a CD helps to you even practice.

Feel free to mail me.

Sai Lalitha
    See Always Inside

5. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Huma

Its the Americans who swallow their words, they keep rolling their Rs... britishers never swallow words or letters...

hey Sai lalitha

u have very rightly said that Ts and Ds have to be crisp. Also i wud like to add make ur C sound like KH a "car" can be called as "Kha"... P like Pha, PAPA wud sound like "Phapha"... Brits always say the word "H" as "Hache"

Lalitha like you, i have myself worked with British clients for more than 2.5 years...

Commonly used phrases, i can think of are..."I'm afraid"... Whenever britishers have to say no to something they wud say "Im afraid i dont have it" " i'm afraid i cant do it"... "Okie Dokie" for Ok... "Brilliant" for Good are commonly used words... Also it is said that if u want to be freinds with w Britisher, start discussing "Soccer" with him/her and you'll see how fast they open up... Cricket being the national game, isnt very popular with the young crowd... watch Soccer, talk Soccer....

Generally Brits who are middle aged, address the girls as "My love"... after every sentence they wud say My LOVE... it wud be like "did u do this" they wud reply "Yes my love" did u call him "No my love"... or other than my love they use Darling word too much... so there is nothin to take offence or anything.. its just in their culture...

if you have some more doubts, feel comfortable to PM me...

or Lalitha can add some more

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  6. Thilagavathi

Thilagavathi New IL'ite

Hey ladies…

Abha you are right. The word brilliant is very commonly used in my office. Back at home we use brilliant to describe smart brain… but here brilliant is used very frequent in a sentences.

Could you ladies please share more words to pronounce? It is very useful indeed.

Lalithasai… could you please guide me more on pronouncing “D” and “T”.

How do you pronounce “a”, “all”,”here”:idontgetit:

Do you say “a” as the sound of “a in abcd..” or as er?

Thank you
    Thilaga:)

7. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Thilaga,

English is different. I'm a tamilian... in tamil the aphabets and sounds are same but in English, it's diffrent. There is consonant, short vowel, long vowel and diphthongs sounds. There are multiple ways of pronouncing every alphabet.

Try the link below and browse further:

Are You a Phonics Master

2 people like this.
  8. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hey Thilaga

"A" wud be pronounced as "Ae". "All" wud sound like "Oll"... in fact i wud say that do not put stress on 'L' letter at all... it shud sound as silent, and give it a sound of "H" and make it sound like "Oh" ... same is the case with "Always", it sounds like "Ohways". The word "Here" should sound like "Hea" as u dont have to pronounce the R in the end.

let me give u an example "All the people are crazy", in brit accent it wud sound like "Oh the phoephle ah craezy". if u read this sentence and u find yourself speaking like ur colleagues... then My friend you have got it !!!

Also regarding the word 'D' and 'T', u can try this excercise... put the tip of ur tongue behind the upper teeth and then try saying these 2 letters. Also the "Th" sound is very important... saying Thank you. Hold your tongue with 2 fingers out of ur mouth and then try saying the word "Thank you" that is how the Thank u shud be... if u try this u wud urself understand and will earn it soon...

~Abha

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  9. Thilagavathi

Thilagavathi New IL'ite

Hi Abha,

Thanks for the info... do you have more tips. Would you mind helping me out please.

My D and T is still not in proper. Could you give me more examples please.

Cheers
    Thilaga

1 person likes this.
  10. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Thilaga

I'm more than happy to help... well as i said earlier... put the tip of ur tongue behind the upper teeth and try and say D and T... and i'm sure it'll sound very crisp to you yourself.

saying "thanks" just stick ur tongue out of ur mouth and then try saying "thanks" it'll sound just perfect...

I wud suggest you watch more TV... and u'll grasp hese sounds very easily, when you yourself listen them speaking... or watch british movies, get the CDs and watch... and u can even rewind to listen again and again.. and within no time u'll be speaking good brit accent..

take care
    ~Abha