1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with preserving perishables!!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by geetha mahesh, Oct 8, 2013.

1. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

I am longing for help with tips for my kitchen-

1) How to preserve coriander without spoilage?...I usually place it in a paper towel in a air tight box..what do people say?...but it doesnt stay like I want it for 2 weeks!!..

2)How to cook okra without the mucin?...use yogurt or tamarind??...

3)Toor dhal is not cooking well. I live in a colder place in western NY...is there any tips??..

more to come.
    Thanks all

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

My thoughts -

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Coriander is quite perishable. You are doing the right thing by storing it with a paper towel but it will lose freshness after 4-5 days.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Add few drops of gingely oil to toor dal while cooking. It lessens the cooking time and the dal gets cooked well.

5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

1) coriander and other greens like chillies etc can be preserved for a week in the fridge if kept in boxes that have holes in them. You get them in plastic as well as steel these days.
    2) first wash the okra dry it with a towel and then fry. A little curd and curry powder will do after the okra is half fried.
    3) you can add a little gingelly or other cooking oil to the dhal and then keep in the cooker - a half teaspoon will do. The dhal will get cooked perfectly. Try it.
    Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wowsathya

Wowsathya Senior IL'ite

3)Toor dhal is not cooking well. I live in a colder place in western NY...is there any tips??..-
    Add few Fenugreek seeds (Vendhayam) , few Pinch of Asafoetida & Turmeric powder , and few drops of any oil (Cooking or gingely ) .. This will cook your dhall finely.. :)- try this

1 person likes this.
  7. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

8. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

1) How to preserve coriander without spoilage?...I usually place it in a paper towel in a air tight box..what do people say?...but it doesnt stay like I want it for 2 weeks!!..

When you buy coriander leaves, cut the stem part that you will discard anyway and keep it a box that have holes in it or a plastic bag, thats not tied too tight, let some air be circulating. Store in veg tray of your refrigerator

2)How to cook okra without the mucin?...use yogurt or tamarind??...

Wash and wipe clean so okras are dry. While cutting, I usually have a paper towel and keep cleaning the knife so the goey stuff is removed. Then towards the end of frying, add some besan flour, there will be no stickiness and it adds to the taste also.

3)Toor dhal is not cooking well. I live in a colder place in western NY...is there any tips??..

Soak the dal for sometime and cook with castor oil, turmeric and salt. I usually put it in a vessel (ever-silver) to cook, and do all other works like cutting, frying so I am not simply waiting for the dal to cook. Castor oil helps the dal water to be thick, so you can make dal rasam with the cooked water. I usually don't pressure cook as dal water wont be thick.

9. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

I do not have box with holes. For coriander leaves, I wash, and store them in box with a tissue paper. ie place the kitchen-tissue over the box and close the lid. This allows the chemicals that are released by leaves (as they wilt) to be absorbed in the tissue and not circulate back to the leaves. Helps them keep fresh longer.

Same goes for green chillies / mint leaves too..

Others have already answered your other questions. So am leaving them.

PS : Read somewhere about the chemicals released during wilting. This works for me.

Cheers,
    JM