1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help : Relocating to Boston MA

Discussion in 'Indians in Boston' started by krithigat, Oct 20, 2009.

1. krithigat

krithigat Senior IL'ite

Hi Ilites,
    We will be moving from ca to Boston MA by nov 1st week.
    Can any body suggest me good area with good schools, my son is kindergarten.
    How much is the cost of living? I have two kids, is there any rule that I should take 2 bed room, or I can manage with 1 bed room?
    Is there indian stores available near by?
    Should I bring groceries from here .

Thanks in advance Ilites

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Krithika,

There are many threads under the same discussion in the past . Go through the discussions..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-northeast/55035-moving-to-boston-area.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-northeast/69369-indians-moving-boston-need-help.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-northeast/56170-relocating-to-boston-ipswich.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-northeast/50657-moving-to-boston-from-nj.html

But to quickly answer your Qs -

First of all you need to decide on a place, then you could check the schools. Else you could see the school ratings in schoolratings. com ( i think ) to decide on the best school in MA.

Closer to downtown, appartments are expensive.. Anywhere outbound, it is quite cheap.

I havent heard of many appartments that allow couple with kids to take in 1 bedroom. So, that does look like a no.

You dont have to get groceries from CA :) , MA has plenty of Indian groceries and fresh stuff too..

MA is a lovely place to live in toto !

Welcome to MA !!

3. krithigat

krithigat Senior IL'ite

Preethi, Thank you very much for your reply and the links too.
    Just now my DH confirmed the place, it is Woburn.
    From the other links, I think you are from woburn.
    Can you tell me about the schools over there?

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Sure !!

Reeves is the public school here and is given the one of the first bests in US, I have heard from friends.. So, guess, once you live in Woburn , your kid will get an admission there.. Also to remind you, the woburn part out of Main St. is not considered for admissions under Reeve's .. Some jazz like that.. :bonk

So, maybe you should check some appartments in the vicinity of Reeve's ! You can google it out.. There are plenty.

5. krithigat

krithigat Senior IL'ite

Thank you Preethi, sorry I couldn't get back soon. I am packing, sorting things.
    I have enquired about few apartments.
    If you know about it, please help me
    1. Washington crossing
    2.Shaker glen
    3.Tudor Glen village

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Washnigton crossing is close to BJs whole sale store.. I suppose. It is a luxury appartment but I dont think it is on Buslines.. If your hubby doesnt take the bus to Downtown or close by or commutes by car... then this place is good enough I guess.. I havent had any friends living there.. But, have seen this one whenever we go to BJs..

Tudor and Shaker Glenn are of the same company's . Tudor was where my hubby lived as a bachelor and we have one ILite friend living there too..

It is less than 5 mins drive from my house and the appartments are really very good. They have townhouses, 2 and 1 Bedroom appartments.. Heat and water is included ( Heat is a MUST in MA :) !! )

Washnigton crossing appartments doesnt come under Reeve's School I guess.. Tudor does come I know. So, if schooling to your kiddo is priority and bus lines, I would suggest Tudor.. You must check wether there are any available first..

7. krithigat

krithigat Senior IL'ite

Thanks Preethi
    I am calling checking for availability, tudor and washington have availability. hope to see you there
    :thankyou2:

8. auserid8

auserid8 Senior IL'ite

Hey Kirthika,

Just came across ur post.... Washington Crossing is a new apt i think.. Its not on a bus line.. but I have heard a few friends of mine who take the bus to downtown from there. I think they go to the Anderson station or so to board the bus or train. This station isnt far from the apts. Also the apt is close by (not walkable) to a mall-Woburn mall which houses Marketbasket( an american grocery store),DSW shoes,payless,Panera bread etc. Lowes,Staples,an indian resturant,Dunkin donuts,Subway etc are close by.
    Of course as preethi stated, BJs is the next building to this apt.

I guess by now u would have packed ur things and getting ready to move to MA. Welcome to MA....
    have a safe trip!!!
    -Vanitha

9. krithigat

krithigat Senior IL'ite

Thank you Vanitha for your reply.
    We packed everything and booked our tickets and then the employer put our project on hold. so we are not moving right now. But my husband started traveling, hope to be there soon
    :)

10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Krithika,

I wanted to write to you yesterday.. Was wondering wether you moved or not ?

Ok.. so packed and just staying there.. Must have been difficult after all the hard work.. So uncertain our life becomes isnt ? :)

Anyways..do let us know when you reach MA or atleast heading here..