1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help...Please...............

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nakkamanju, Mar 31, 2010.

1. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    i am a loyal and regular visitor tp indusladies and this site has definitely helped me to have a better understanding about cooking or health.

now coming to my question i need help to plan my cooking.My husband works in a different state which 31/2 hrs drive from richmond. I prefer to pack him homemade food for 4 days as he leaves on monday morning and comes back on thursday night and i also prefer to give him food because he is diabetic. now my concern is i am 14 weeks pregnant and i spent 4 hrs int he kitchen on sunday and by the time i am done i am exhausted. and i cannot cook much on weekdays as i work as a preschool teacher in a educational childcare. so please friends can u suggest me some one pot meals (without rice) which are quick and easy to pack.

i would really appreciate your timely advice and help.
    thanks in advance

manju

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Manju

Have you gone through Chitvish madams microwave recipes...some of them are really quick n easy to make in microwave.? let me come back with more ideas meanwhile do browse through cooking forum

3. lavisri2004

lavisri2004 New IL'ite

Hi,

My suggestion would be chappathi,upma and any dry curries (like aloo,gobi)which can be kept for 3 to 4 days. He can always reheat them covered in a microwave. I dont know if you would like rice items, because if u make different podi's(I hope u know wht they are like garlic pwdr,corainder pwdr etc...), he can keep a bottle of it at wrk and can jus take plain rice from home, mix them at work and eat anytime which jus plain yoghurt or any raithas or even pickles . U can also make very simple pulaos which does not require a lot of wrk (peas pulao for example).

Also my mom used to tell me this recipe made with onions and tomatoes and keep it in the fridge for 1-2 weeks and use it as a side for chappathis, puris or mix with rice. Its a very simple one and I will share it with you.

Take 2 onions, 3-4 tomatoes both finely chopped, add very little oil to kadai add onions,garlic(chopped - optional) saute well and then add onions saute well till raw smell goes, add chilli pwdr (I use sambar pwdr) and salt and little water and let it silm till gravy gets thick,finally add some chopped coriander leaves and let cool and store in fridge and can be used anytime.

hope u like wht i said.

Good luck with everything!!!!

4. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Manju,

U can try low fat ,multi grain wraps which are avble in big super markets like costco,Bj's & also in health food stores for our traditional Rotis.

u can alternate it with some dhal,chole and rajma which can be made in one pot itself. Also try making variety of dishes with Lapsi or oats(with lots of veggies).... Chitvish mam has given n number recipe on these. Do try....

vaidehi

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

thanks for the advice. i cannot pack my husband anything with rice as he i diabetic. I generally make him pulkas with 2 gravies and a fry and some light tiffin item like upma or idly.i dont have any more energy to make 20 to 25 rotis. thats why i am kind of lost to plan my cooking .

thank you once again for ur suggestions

manju

6. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Manju,

Now a days, we get home made rotis/chappatis/parathas in Indian stores, he can buy them there or take them from your place where ever he can purchase, so no work on making rotis, then you concentrate on Sabjis, dal

For Dals, buy chopped spinach, chopped methi , or tomatos(easy to cut) which you can microwave and easily mix with dal and seasoning.

for Curries, you can buy readymade cut vegetables like Okra, peas+carrot, beans, cauliflower etc either from Indian stores or from American grocery stores, once you have cut vegetables ready, it wont take much time for making curries.

One more option is he can eat brown rice (equivalent to eating rotis) and make some home made podis , he can cook brown rice with electric rice cooker there daily and can use podis and yogurt for a meal so that he will not get bored by daily rotis with curries.

hope these tips helps.
    SK

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

This is what I did when pregnant and put on bed rest due to hypertention.

On sulekha.com classifieds, see is someone is offering cooking services. I found one aunty who would come home on sundays and make enough curries / chappatis for the week for my husband and I. She charged 15 bucks an hour and was generally done in 2.5 hrs. She also cleaned up the vessels and kitchen.

Or you can try
    1. Store bought chappatis. Even costco has good ones these days - rotiland brand.
    2. If you live in apt. complex, check to see if someone is selling home-made chappatis.
    3. One pot meals - Instead of rice, you can try quinoa as it has high protein content. Goes well with rajma and chola, as well as sambhar.
    Paneer curry is also good for diabetics. You can buy paneer from the store and just put it in simple gravy or make it with bell-peppers and onions.

8. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

Thanks Friends for timely advice and ideas... now i got some ideas about how to plan my cooking....

thank you ance again....
    manju