Need help on cooking in electric rice cooker!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by iswaryadevi, Sep 14, 2013.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Recently I bought a prestige electric rice cooker. Rice gets cooked well in it but I am facing a problem. Some rice in the bottom gets burnt and sticks to the rice cooker vessel wasting rice. Why is this happening? My MIL uses a different model rice cooker but it never happens in hers. Am I doing something wrong? or has it got to do anything with the prestige model?? I use the trivet that comes along with the rice cooker, but still same result. I leave the rice in warm mode for some 15 minutes, could that be a reason? But even my MIL leaves it in warm mode for more than half an hour but hers comes out perfect. She cooks the same way like I do but I donno why mine is causing this issue?? :drowning :help

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I think it's your model. I have had several rice cookers over the years and some have done this. My really cheap ones did it to a large degree. I would suggest that you switch it off as soon as you hear the cook cycle end. My experience with rice cookers is that the more expensive they are the better they work. The Japanese makes are the best. Myself I have a lower range Panasonic with couple of steamer trays that can be added and I am fine with it but it will slightly overcook the bottom rice if I leave it on warm too long.

3. hamsadhvani

hamsadhvani Junior IL'ite

Hi Iswarya
    Use another vessel to cook rice in the rice cooker like we cook in pressure cooker. Or sprinkle 2 or 3 table spoons of water after switching off the cooker. If the water is not sufficient the rice will be burnt at the bottom. I use a stainless steel vessel to cook rice in the rice cooker. It is equally good.
    Hamsa

4. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Hi Hamsa,

I never knew we can use other vessels in rice cooker. Thanks for the info. I have panasonic rice cooker that has never given me any issues so far

5. iswaryadevi

I think you are right! Last Sunday, I tried by immediately switching off the cooker once it went to warm mode, but still same result. Guess the problem is with the model only. :(

6. iswaryadevi

Thanks, will try your idea as one last attempt before chucking out this cooker.

7. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

Hi Iswarya,

I think its because of the quantity of water.

8. iswaryadevi

hmmm I use 1:3 ratio of rice to water. Isn't it sufficient???

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ishbabes, i happen to see this mostly in the nonstick models and also when you leave in the warm mode. do you use the plate that is given along. the reason why rice sticks..the starch content that settles while the evaporation takes place during cooking. and also think prestige the thermostat slightly higher capacity then the others, and more heat.

but i have the same prestige,and i don't have rice sticking when i keep the plate that is given for the starch..but yes if i leave it in the warm mode for long, the starch turns yellow..starting to burn sometimes..

lgirish,

i cook idli, steam left over food in a container with water added in the bowl. sometimes just use it as a steamer for vegetables,sprouts if i get into the no mw phase..(yeah i get into that phase very often..)

10. iswaryadevi

Mine isn't a non stick model, and the last time I tried, I didn't even leave it in warm mode. Immediately after the rice cooking was over, I switched it off and removed the rice from the cooker. But I noticed the bottom of the cooker was severely burnt. :( And the rice was also not cooked properly, it was still wet, some water was still remaining. I actually tried to make biriyani, so then I shifted it to MW bowl and completed it. Not sure why this is happening in my model?? Since some water was still remaining, it should not have gone to warm mode right? Guess model is only the problem. :(