1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need help - Green stools

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Padminiramesh, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Mommies,

Hayagreev is not keeping well since friday, we rushed to Child trust at around 11.30 PM on Emergency. He got dehydrated all of a sudden and almost fainted. Vomitted back to back and had very watery stools. Thank god, he didnt had anything serious and the Pedi prescribed the following medicines
    1. Bifilac 1/2 pocket mixed with breast milk morning and night
    2. Z&D 1 ml for 14 days
    3. Emeset 1.5ml 3 times a day if he vomits
    Dehydration stopped gradually, but he started passing green loose motion. It is not dark green like meconium, a light green. Yesterday when he passed it was all Yellow musturd color, but later with in few minutes it turned to Green color. I dont know why this is happening.
    Please help.

I too had the same kind of dehydration for the last couple of days and he is not on EBF.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

PAdmini, do they think it was an infection? If it was, there is a likelihood if him continuing to have some upset tummy for a while. Some children get secondary lactose intolerance after a tummy infection. Just wondering if you were advised to change your formula to a lactose-free one and continue BFing? Also, till he recovers is it possible for you to continue bfing exclusively (Sorry, I do not recall if you have joined work already!) Hugs for the little one and the mommy.

3. Padminiramesh

K,

They didnt say anything on what and why it happened (Child trust)...simply gave the medicines...Thinking of going to my Pedi
    I stopped Nan 1 10 days back and he is now on EBF, but dont know why this happened when he is on EBF? May be because of my health? I have severe vomiting and diarrhea from Thursday and MIL too, he got infected by one of us?
    Green loose stools is what bothering me more...now he is not vomiting..
    And yes i am still on leave and would be joining only when LO is 6.5 months old. So he can be on EBF till then,,,,

Ohh god, i dont know why kids always gives some surprise shocks to poor moms....:-(

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Padmini Hugs.
    Like tikka mentioned keep your LO hydrated with EBF. I too EBF DD during loose stools. Was just wondering is the climate the reason for him getting dehydrated? Also I was informed by massage lady to stay away from mango and pickles as they may give rise to loose stools. Don’t know if same is the case with you.
    One of my colleague’s baby was dehydrated when she was just three weeks old. Here the problem was the entire family was banking on EBF wherein the mother did not have a good supply and the child ran in dehydration. Now the mother swears not to breastfeed again. I am sure that your case is slightly different. I think you need to treat yourself first and be on a simple diet sans spices and diary free too till everything gets alright. Also rich diets have to be avoided for a while.
    It may take one week’s time, formula milk can fester the problem and further lead to loose tools, EBF is the best solution. All the best, pray your LO gets well soon.

5. Padminiramesh

Thanks Lee...
    but you know why it is green in color?

6. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Padmini,

When there is an infection the stools turn green, when its yellow the infection is ruled out. The infection goes from yellow to green. DD was even asked to do a stool test, but in case it is not mucousy you need not worry.
    Don't worry he will be fine in some days.

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

padmini look up secondary lactose intolerance. I am guessing that is the case with your child. Should get better soon with what you are doing.

8. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I am wondering if infection could be the cause for green stools??

Is mom's health and diet not the issue when the baby is having green stools??

Upto 3 months old DS had green stools on and off and it was manily due to my diet.

Like Lee mentioned, cut down all spices and diary products (by You) and see if that makes a difference.

Hope your LO feels better soon!

9. Padminiramesh

Mommies,

Yesterday when i visited my Pedi, he prescribed me the following diet
    solids
    1. Home made rice kanji
    2. Nestum Rice

Liquids
    1. BM
    2. Orange Juice
    3. Apple Juice

He asked me to stop Ragi for now (the other pedi recommended this as my Pedi was out of station for the last 2 months)

The question here is i read some of the ILs mentioned Rice would constipate...since LO is now on loose stools, is it advisable to give rice kanji now? Also i am not keeping well since last friday and hence very low on supply..LO is always crying out of hunger....so want to try this...is it ok to giveNestum at night before he goes to bed?

Or which one do you recommend Nestum or Easum?