1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need help- baby's congestion wont subside

Discussion in 'Infants' started by loonypooh, Nov 20, 2009.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

vanathi, i need ur opinions and suggestions desperately.
    zoey has had bad congestion( nasal and i can hear a gurgling sound in her throat too)
    went to paed 2ce , initially we were asked to give only saline drops.
    later when it went worse he asked to put a drop each time of otrinoz baby nasal drops( max 4 times a day)
    but i dont see a difference. only being earlier with saline the mucus wont even be seen in her nostrils. but now with these drops i can see some mucus and occasionally suction it out with the bulb syringe.

but she has been extremely uneasy esp at nights. day times arent really bad, but she is a night time sleeper and hence i cant see her suffer so miserably.
    tried putting a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil on a cloth n place near her pillow. tried a bowl of boiling water n a couple of drop s of the oil n place nxt to her bed. but things just wont subside

doc said that her chest is clear, and that most infants of her age wld hv congestion of different grade, its just pronounced in her,
    but there has to be some solution? no?

sorry for the long rant, but i really am so desperate to see her happy again

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hope Zoey feels better Poonam. Just to relax you, it is indeed very common for infants to be congested. This is what worked with my son.

1. Humidifer in his room ran 24-7. Helps loosen up the mucus.
    2. Fill the bathroom with steam (close doors n windows, let hot water run for 10-15 mins), and sit with her in there for 10-15 minutes twice a day.
    3. Right before going to bed at night, apply a teeny winny dab of vicks to the bottom of her feet and put some socks on.
    4. Position her so that her head is higher than her body when she sleeps.
    5. BM causes more congestion it seems. We were asked by the ped. to replace some of the feed with pedialite.
    6. Feed less amt of BM, but more often. My son went from 8 feeds to 12 when he was congested. Fed him every 2 hours instead of every 3 hours.

Dont worry she will be fine in a few days!

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hey, does your child still show symptoms of reflux and vomiting... wondering if her unease is not from an infection but from silent reflux. Typically DS was a very congested kid and had a lot of throat noises. The other thing I would observe is he was/is very prone to hiccups (when my mean very, I mean very, not the usually infant type...) That was an instant sign for me that he was having a reflux episode at that point. I know there is not much awareness on silent reflux here among doctors (Acid Reflux Symptoms) The main issue with us was DS was gaining above average, while the typical symptom of Reflux is loss of weight. Going by how frequently your little one is feeding, breastmilk is actually helping her lessen the pain and that could be the reason why she latching every hour or so.
    About the congestion, it could very well be a fall out of the reflux, constant irritation of the pathways could lead to inflammation and congestion. Things seem to tie up in my mind, but then I am not a paed.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

krithika, her spit ups hv come down drastically... n no colic or gas issues these days... day time she takes feed every say 2 hours but night wen she isnt able to breathe well(stuffy nose) she wants to comfort herself n goes for unlimited number of feeds( again mostly just nibbling)
    smarty wont even take a pacifier... spits it out lol

she does hiccup a lot though, n i dont know wats normal
    hiccups atleast 3-4 times a day
    tikka whr can i get a humidifier?

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

most medical shops have it, the medical equipment shops will surely have it. But some mom here posted the ones she found were of poor quality. When DS was as young as your, we m/w ed a bowl full of water for a couple of min and left it near his bed with a drop of Tea tree oil. Till you get a humidifier, this may carry you through.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

didnt find one at the chemist... can tea tree oil be substituted ... say eucalyptus?

7. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Poonam,
    Try this technique which will make the baby breath easier.
    Take a handful of rock salt,roast in hot tawa till the salt gets hot.trasfer to the center of the towel and wrap all the ends.place your palms in the towel with hot salt,and place the warm palm on her forehead,nose and chest.repeat this.besure the temperature is bearable by the baby.

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Poonam - Your ped is right in that many if not most newborns have noisy breathing, esp at night. I would not call it congestion and most of the time you wont get any mucus even if you aspirate because there is no infection or swelling of the nasal tissues. Its the commonest complaint among new mothers and neither saline nor other nasal drops help much (in fact the medicated drops are downright harmful anf should not be used in newborns as far as possible) In fact I think all the humidification, menthol, eucalyptus etc. wont help either because there isnt anything wrong usually with the baby's nasal passages. (This is very different from when baby has a real cold with lots of sneezing and actual nasal discharge, just like an adult cold). If there was real stuffiness then the baby wont be able to feed because when she closes her mouth for feeding she will have to breathe through her nose and if it is really blocked then she ill stop sucking and breathe instead. Are you seeing such interrupted feeding? This noisy breathing usually goes away by itself without any intervention on our part. The only thing I have found to work sometimes is to elevate the head and shoulders of the baby on a pillow/rolled-up blanket - not the head alone like an adult but the pillow needs to be under the shoulders too so as not to let the neck bend forward and obstruct the windpipe more. Maybe you could get a second opinion too and that will pick up any underlying problems.

V.

PS - Hiccups 4-5 times a day is absolutely normal.

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Eucalyptus works fine for me, but for DS it does not... so we swear by TTO now. both of them have anti-bacterial and decongestant properties.

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

vanathi, thanks... i m stopping the medicated drops right away. they dont seem to help her much.
    mucus, yes i do collect little bit every time with the aspirator.

my only concern was her extremely disturbed sleep... n she shows that she is breathless at wee hours.
    she does sneeze , but ofcourse doesnt show difficulty feeding. at times she keeps removing nipple ,but i guess thats coz of my forceful letdown
    think i shld just leave it on time... to cure?

tikka, dont hv tea tree oil... but eycalyptus isnt helping single bit... shall still try
    abt second opinion, DH isnt interested n wants me to stop worrying , :( said hez a reliable paed n we hv gone twice to him for this concern...
    last time we met him, he said her chest is clear n there isnt any ear infection