1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

need direction if i am right or wrong

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by 92928drh, Apr 3, 2010.

1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Her blessing for what? Are you a cruise ship that needs to be christened? Please step the drama of seeking blessings like this is some Hindi film. I think you already have enough drama between you and sil without going into blessing-seeking-mode.

What's done is done. Just continue being cordial and pleasent with her. It's not like you two are siamese twins and she is stuck to you for life. She is a relative who happens to live next door, that is all. So you should just be decent and civil with each other. Hopefully she will cool down in time, and you both can mend your relationship. Good luck.

2. shrutidunwoody

shrutidunwoody Bronze IL'ite

Hi

You need not be so humble to your sil especially if she is treating you this way. Just have your own self respect. And why do you need her blessings. I think God and your parents are enough to bless you. Dont make her a Goddess. Maybe she in the mode of ttc so taking all her frustrations towards you. You have tried your best to be good to her but now just leave her alone. Dont bother her.

3. 92928drh

92928drh New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am reopening this thread. As by reading the chain thread you are aware of what has happened. After that by SIL and me never talked till today. Even during family, relative function never smiled also. I was getting on with life and was forgetting this when today an incident took place. We Stay nearby like apartments one on the other. I stay on the top floor and she on the ground. Daily I ask my son in the evenings to go for cycling in the coloney. Today he went down but was sitting in my SIL house. I took my daughter down and called my son to come out and asked why he is sitting there in a firm tone. She did not like and started abusing something. I told her that when i talk you start beating ur head etc..than why you talking to my son. IF you cannot stand me than ignore my family also. She abused me and got agitated and thrown cell phone on the florr and shouting.. I also gave back that i shall break her teeth if she utter anything wrong. All the neighbours gathered. She got so wild that if next 5 min she would have beaten me. Her husband also appears supporting her. After that I took my kids for cycling came back and told my husband all these. He was upset.. telling famly prestige is at stake etc etc. When i enquired with my son he told that she has only called him inside. Somehow i gets wild when my son is in their house..if she illtreats me than why my son/daughter go to her. She ignores me like am nothing but attracts my children to show off that I am insignificat.. She does not treat me with respect as mother of kids.
    All these incidents effecting happiness of my family. ..I want to get out of this mess to give happienss to my family. My husband is nice and takes care of family. We both earning well. But due to these incident we loosing our deserved happiness and getting sadness. My husband says to ignore as the kids would anyway come back to me. But even am a human being. How much abuse she gives me.. why must i forget and let my children be friendly with them. as if I am third party and they including my kids are one. Whey they play this divide and rule game with me and kids. I want to make my family a close knit where they are close to mom and share everthing. But with them around i cannot share their affection with them when they cannot even talk to me. These are my feelings.. I have to be with them for the next 4 years till my daughter grows up then we can shift to our own house. I am working and need the support of MIL who stays with us. Please help.. I am getting mad with these thoughts and loosing happiness. Husband stays why cannot i restrain and bust and create mess. I said it is not so easy if someone abuses. Please help advise.. to get my peace of mind back and happiness back to my family. AM i right in telling my SIL all that what I have told. Please help

4. asuitablegirl

You both sound like really classless goons.... one throwing phone, other talking about breaking teeth. Jeez. Try to get yourself under control and relax before thinking what to do next.

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

You should know whether you were right in what you said? doesnt it sound really NASTY when you and your SIL abuse each other and the whole building gathers to see the TAmaashaa?? Cant you wait till your SON comes home and give him that gyaan of yours (i.enot visiting your SILs house)

Remember when you take things too seriously, and want to WIN, things would get really UGLY. So what If you and your SIL cant stand each other but still she is nice to your kids. Is that sooo bad?? why someone has to RESPECT you inspite of you being so rude to them (did you read how many times you say YOU WANT RESPECT and You earn etc..etc) Sometimes I wonder this attitude of yours, is it because you have kids and she doesnt?? Or is it because you have INSECURITY that your kids would get close to her?? Can you really beleive that your own kids would avoid you and get close to your SIL??? can a kid forget his/her mom??? Ask yourself these questions.Also remember that your kids are observing your behaviour. Who knows might be your son/daughter might behave the same way with you down the line as they are seeing that behaviour in you towards your own relatives. So if you do things infront of kids, you are like that example for them..that medium of learning. So did you teach the right thing to the kid?? what good are you doing to the kids understanding abilities here??by cheaply fighting and yelling at your own family member.

If you had kept quiet and had left that place with your son, your son would have understood that your SIL was bad at shouting at you, rather you fighting and shouting back gave him this learning that we can fight and yell at our own family.

Really I said this in my initial post and I will say it again, Yes as of now your husband loves you and supports you. But if the same issues continue again, am sure in no time you would loose your husbands support also. If someone abuses you, you tell them to STOP and exit from that place, what RESPECTdid you earn by abusing her back??

I guess you and your SIL are taking things to extremes and spoiling your own peace. Why are you blaming her? If someone could affect your life soo much that shows that you are giving them POWER to control your life.

Moreover, why are you controlling the kids not to visit your SIL?? she too has the right to see and talk to her brothers kids isnt it?? If you both dont gel well, its your problem, why are you spoiling the innocent mind of kids and using kids as pawns to get at each other. Cant you be the bigger person and let go of all this? Am sure if you stop pushing kids around and making them as the REASON to fight, you would find lot of peace and also you would be RESPECTED.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  6. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

My opinion- fight between elders should never get translated to kids and mother enforcing isolation to X, Y just to remain on TOP.

A child should be allowed to create their own opinion... once again I shall mention CLOSE KNIT means suffocation for relationships and esp DIL and a final ouster of atleast one relation in the family.. and this depends on who's the stronger of all.

Since you have a son and will get a DIL, instead of thinking about CLOSE KNIT think about an OPEN family.. who can judge and take decisions based on who's right and simply not stick to people even when wrong just because of CLOSE KNITTING.

In a longer run, OPEN families come together in times of need and CLOSE KNITS one get disintegreated... choice is yours.

7. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear friend in the entire circus you are forgetting that she is your kids aunt and they are related. One cannot ignore this and all of you are staying in the same building.
    As long as kids are happy let them visit.
    They must be so confused poor things, they are getting gifts, attention and maybe love too. If she is your DHs sis then chill .
    Your DH will not like this mess, what if he told kids not to visit your sis then how would you like it ? Fine you do not like her but you cannot stop your kids without a valid reason.
    Seeking her blessings seems hypocritical.
    Are you scared that she may do something to kids because she is childless ?
    Please do not use kids as pawns in your power struggle.
    They must be so embarrassed by your and aunts behaviour.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  8. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

I think u r overreacting...understood ur sil does not treat u well and does not talk to you...so you feel why should she talk to your kids since she has no regard for you!

But remember your children are your dh's kids as well...she is their aunt and you should be happy that she seems to have a genuine fondness for them. Ignore the fact that she does not treat you well...my sil also does not talk nicely to me even though she is unmarried...but my son is fond of her nd goes to her happily...i also used to get irritated but then i realized that i will be harming my son rather than protecting him if i stop him from goin to her...anyhow he always comes back to his parents! My bhua(father's sis) also never behaved nicely with my mom...but i don't remember my mom ever stopping me from meeting her or even criticizing her in front of me...infact i used to like her as a kid...2day i have no regard for my bhua!

so just relax and take life easy! Try out some relaxing hobby wen ur kids r with their aunt...it is good that u will get some time for yourself!

9. asuitablegirl

I would like to add, that in my opinion, the correct way to have handled this situation if you didn't like your kid visiting your sil for whatever reason, would have been to wait for your kid to get home and then tell him that in the future, you do not want him hanging out at her house again. It was not like he was in immediate danger by sitting in your sil's house. You didn't HAVE to go over there. All this could have been avoided had you used common sense.

In the future, I think you should try to be more aware of the examples you are setting for your kids. Do you want your kids growing up to solve problems by shouting of threatening violence? Think what type of role model you are being.

10. ArunaSashi

ArunaSashi Bronze IL'ite

Your 'Close Knitting' should be done between you and your children.. Not by threatening others who want to speak to them..

Poor kids! They would be so confused.. They would either not like their mother acting like that or they might grow up to be people who want to monopolize all the attention of their loved ones.. (Which is not at all healthy or just!)