Need details of an Experienced &Good Special educator

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by geena, Feb 17, 2010.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vanathi,
    Did you get my pm? am trying to figure out if I deleted it by mistake:)
    Rama

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I did - hope you got my reply?

V.

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

I did, thanks..
    R

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Finally,found the right thread.Ladies,pls help.This is for my nephew in Chennai who is 10 yrs old and seems to be having learning disabilities which his pediatrician found out and he recommended that we go meet one Ms.Neela Sankar close to our house.This person did some evaluation two days back and while doing the evaluation,she hit my nephew !!:rantI am furious! It seems that is her way of handling children with learning disabilities.She being a therapist(i think) talks about such kids like as though it is because they are lazy and unwilling to learn ,that is why they have a problem.I just don't have words to express my anger at all this and to top it,she seems to be more interested in collecting her tuition fee which will be Rs.3000 /month.

I will try and get my sister to this thread so that she will be able to express things more in detail.Meanwhile can someone help me in getting in touch with the right person in Chennai(preferably in Perambur) who can help my nephew.

5. suji

suji Junior IL'ite

hi all,

furthermore to sister's thread, though we had apprehensions about my son's reading and writing skills initially, it was only last year that his teachers noticed him. He has been in the same school since UKG. But none of them could really tell us this was due to learning disability. They just classified him as a slow learner and only concentrated during the end of the term. my son does not recognize alphabets in Hindi, Tamil and this year an addition of 4th Language is Sanskrit! He is in 5th std now. With much difficulty, he learns the other subjects - English, EVS and Maths and manages to get thro'.

The therapists mentioned above was referred by my son's doctor after conducting tests for any problems with eyesight, thyroid, hearing etc. (he has cleared all this and has no problems). After going through the history of birth and his normal academic performance the doctor has concluded that it is learning disability. I do not feel comfortable as she referred to my son as being lazy and some more personal comments about his weight and speech. She also said that it is too late now and she will only assure 40-50% chances of improvement. The whole episode was uncomfortable.

I am working and stay with my parents. With only weekends left to be with my son, he does not prefer a mom with a book in her hand. I would be grateful if i am referred to a reliable and qualified therapist to help my son with his problems.

Please help!

Suji

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Suji,

The first step is to have your son assessed by an educational psychologist. She/he will be able to pinpoint the exact need and then you can find the right resource person. Learning disability can be used as an umbrella term-testing will show whether it is an auditory processing or memory deficit (from your info, it could be either of these). I think Madras Dyslexia Association does educational testing...another ed, psychologist is Sangeetha Madhu...her practice is in Alwarpet, I think.

R

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

suji,

Relax. once a problem is identified, the solution is very near.

why do doctor's these days relate every other ailment to the weight of the person. agreed obesity is a cause to worry.

Apart from what rama has given you, i think Varloo consulted somebody for her son. i assume sunitha could be having varloo's number, check out with her.

After the assessment from the doc, think if you should move to a school that will nourish and accomodate your son??

both these are two issues to be addressed in stages.

8. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

I would like to ask about the assessment tools available for diagnosing LDs in India. If so, what is the language of the tests. For instance, i assume in Tamil Nadu , they would have the tools in English & Tamil. Is that right?
    Also, what are the technological devices available to the students? Is medication often prescribed ? Also, would high-functioning ADHDs be recommended to go to special schools or regular schools with strategies to manage it?

Thank you.

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I know there is norm referenced IQ testing for the Indian population. I believe NIMHANS did the work on that one.
    R

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite