Need details of an Experienced &Good Special educator

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by geena, Feb 17, 2010.

1. geena

geena New IL'ite

Hi Rama,
    It's really nice of you to try and help virtually:))
    MY friend cobntacted Vidyaasagar and also the number of the State Rehab. I believe at the State Rehab they asked her to get in touch with Sheeba when she goes for the id card.
    Thanks a lot.:))

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

:!:Hi Geena,
    Glad to be of help...I am working on setting up a blog to put together information of this kind as there are a lot of resources available in Chennai. It's mostly a matter of knowing where to go and whom to approach. There's also a lot of confusion among parents on what kind of help to ask for-I've seen parents bring children with physical disabilities to places which support those with mental illness!

I did talk to Sheeba and told her your friend will come to see her..please remind your friend that the tuesday affair can be quite overwhelming-esply for the child.

Hope things come together well.
    Rama

3. geena

geena New IL'ite

Hi Rama,

Thanks for your efforts to put all this info together.I'm sure it'ld be useful.
    Thanks a lot for all your help!It was very thoughtful of you.

Your info was useful.My friend contacted the State Rehab & is yet to visit.She's waiting on some docs that she'ld need for the ID.

Thanks for putting in a word to Sheeba.
    Is it Ok if she mentions your name whenever she visits Sheeba?

Thanks a bunch

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Geena,
    Absolutely!
    Rama

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Rama - Shanthi (Shanvy) directed me to this thread and I hope you'll be able to help me. I am a pediatrician and I esp work with children with developmental/behavioural issues. Now today I had a 11 yr old girl who came to see me as she is doing poorly in school. After an informal evaluation (I dont do IQ testing) she appears to be functioning with the academic skills of a 6-7 yr old and I would say she has an intellectual disability (mild MR). Now we have very limited options for such children here in Erode and this parent is interested in relocating to Chennai if necessary for the child's sake. She has no physical disabilities (apart from some articulation problems and myopia which is corrected with glasses). What do you suggest? Which schools in Chennai should they look at? Do any of these schools have a hostel? And while on this topic do you have any professional contacts or recommendations on special-needs schools in Coimbatore (this is for another child, a 9 yr old boy with MR and ADD) ? TIA.

Vanathi.

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vanathi,
    One of my former coworkers is in Coimbatore...another in Erode (though she is in a related field as opposed to just spl. ed). let me get their info for you. They will give you a clearer picture of services available in that area. Moving to Chennai has its advantages if the parent is looking for special ed services. In fact I know several parents who have approached their neighbourhood schools on their own initiative and found a place for their children (with severe disabilities). It is not perfect but it allows for tweaking and modifications. Going to a special school covers other services like speech therapy and OT (for articulation and possible low tone).
    Vidyasagar in Chennai is one option as is Sankalp. I think Vidyasagar consults with other schools (regular) and so they want to evaluate the child first before they refer you (client) to other schools in their network. The idea is to match the right school with the right kind of need. If you want more specifics (other schools, locations, services) let me know and I can locate those for you.

I have to check the hostel part. Personally I would hesitate to put a child with even the mildest needs in a hostel. In my opinion, we still don't have some of the most basic safeguards in place for residential facilites for children with special needs-no matter the degree of disability. Even in places which have a million different rules and guidelines, things can go wrong. I would recommend that the parents check and double check the school/hostel before making that decision....and continue to check even after:) And, no, I'm not paranoid...I've just been in this field for a loooong time.
    Rama

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  7. geena

geena New IL'ite

Sorry for the delay in responding.Thanks Rama, I will tell my friend that she can mention your name when she meets Sheeba Anand.

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks Rama. Looking fwd to the Erode/Cbe contact info. Also isnt Vidyasagar mainly for kids with CP or do they take kids with only MR? I'm not at all in favour of hostels for such kids but thought it would be good to know if such facilities do exist. As for Chennai schools can you give me names and contact info for 2-3 schools which would be good for a child with MR? In the meantime the mom will get back to me and I will ask her if she has a specific area in Chennai in mind.

V.

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

PS - Is your Erode contact Gayathri by any chance?

V.

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi there,
    I have the contact info...as they are personal numbers I will get the PM service-give me a day as I have to get it thru a secure connection. (I've just moved and am trying to figure the red tape in a new country:))
    R

No the erode contact isn't Gayatri..will write in detail in the PM