Need advice!!!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by imemyself, Nov 17, 2007.

1. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I work for an MNC in Bangalore and presently on an extended leave for the sake of my kid.My leave expires on March 2008.
    My parents are in Chennai and since i dint want to leave my kid at a creche or with a maid,i got a tfr to chennai and planned to join back early.So I contacted my HR in Aug and asked them to find out a project so taht I can join back immdly...They dint carry out the process efficiently and till last week they kept telling me to wait for a few more days...Me tired of waiting so I escalated the issue to my Dept Head and now things got in place and a manager called me on Friday and asked me to report to work on Monday -19'th Nov.I told him that I will join back on Nov 26th.

The problem is that I have some things to settle before I join back and other personal commitments to be taken care of and Dec 3'rd wld be the most suitable day with all things settled.
    Will it be good if I tell the Manager again regarding the change of date!!?
    My leave is till march and it's my personal choice that i join back!!But once i join I want to give my 100% and want it to be wthout tensions!!So I need time till Dec.So..will I create a bad iimpression if I postpone the date again!!!????

Pls help me with ur inputs and suggestions!!!

Love,
    Jaya

2. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey there,

Considering myself in your shoes, I would definitely ask for an extension and be fully prepared before I join work again. But looking at the situation from your employer's side, it would not be fair of you to expect them to dance to your tunes. You asked for an extended vacation and they granted it to you... you wanted to join back, they were ok with it and when they dint take action, you took the matter seriously and they took action... and now if you go back and say that you want some more time, they will agree, I am sure, but the trust they have on you will definitely come down. They might think that you are taking their flexibility for granted.

If you want to ask for an extension, I suggest you give a good thought on how you are going to talk to them. The choice of words and the way you ask them will make the difference. Else, you might be starting work in a wrong note..

Good Luck:thumbsup

3. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for ur reply.
    I do understand that i am not supposed to keep postponing!!
    but the manager i mentioned is one among many who is in need of a resource right now...And I had mentioned in the mail to my Dept Head that i will join in Dec 3'rd.But the manager wanted a resource before that..!!And I dint want to miss the opportunity so i agreed to join on nov 26'th but I want to give my 100% when i get back..and so need time to settler things...thaty i want to extend it to aweek more and join on Dec 3'rd that i had initially planned!
    Well..I will mail him because i feel i can tell everything needed in a very neat format and hope for the best!!
    If the requirement for that project he meant is closed then i will be directed to some other manager!!
    Thats the most that can happen!!

Thanks you so much for ur views!! Ur input will help me draft a convincing mail!!! :)

Love,
    Jaya

4. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hello Jaya,

If my words have made your state of mind any better, I am really happy. My heartfelt wishes to you. I hope God gives you the strength to handle this situation wisely and come out stronger than ever.

Cheers!
    Sylvia