Need advice...Guide me

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by rashmigirish, Jul 7, 2008.

1. rashmigirish

rashmigirish New IL'ite

Hi Guys,

After a gap of 2 months i am back.. I was in Canada for a year and now back to Bengalooru my hometown.

I was working as a Software Engineer before leaving to Canada, as i did not get work permit early i could not work in Canada and have lost a year experience.. now i want to work having 2.6yr experience and lost 1yr experience i am not getting any calls.

I am B.com M.C.A graduate, now i am looking out both for a software job and also HR related jobs... But i am not getting any reponse from the employers end... wat should i do????? Please guide me

Thanks and Regards,
    Rashmi

2. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rashmi,

Hope the following words are of use to you.

1) Please decide on one line either Software or HR and pursue on it sincerely. Trying either-or option is already distracting you from focussing on a single path and pursuing it to the end.
    2) Once done, prepare a good resume highlighting something unique that you can contribute if employed!!
    3) With IT, it is always better to go through your network of people rather than directly applying. So call up your friends, acquaintances, relatives....and forward your resume through them and follow it up regularly.
    4) Whilst waiting for a call, find out what has happened in the past years in the field what you have applied for and update yourself. Though your resume doesn't reflect the latest working, at least you can do well in interview when called for.

All the best!!

Cheers
    Jenz

3. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rashmi,

First decide the line you want to pursue. Never tell an interviewer that you are open to both fields until you join the company, it gives an impression that you will switch job the moment you get a better opportunity in the other field.

If you want to pursue IT then first go through your resume, decide if you are updated with the technology or not. If not then you can pursue some IT course and then apply for job.

Get in touch with good IT consultants they can help you secure a good job.

I guess you will have to keep trying till you get an interview call by that time prepare for the technical questions so that the interviewer knows that even if you have a year's gap in your resume you are sound in your knowledge.

All the best for the future.

regards

:coffeeShiva

4. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Rashmi,

Post your profile on the job portals, also give it to the consultancy firms.

In your profile clearly mention why you took a break for 1 year.

Since there is a slowdown in the IT market...so if your salary expectations are high then that too would deter the prospective employers.