1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Near death experience III

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, May 31, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I finished my school when I was 15 years and my dad and I visited multiple colleges to find a suitable college. After finishing that educational pilgrimage, we found a college that was ready to admit me into the pre-university course. Those days, there were no +2 in the school and after the 11th grade, one has to study pre-university for a year before they join under graduation course of their choice. My mother was not ready to let me go and live my own life at the tender age of 15. I wanted to explore staying away from home and my dad worked out a compromise formula. He admitted me in the hostel attached to the college but told me that I should visit my parents at least once a month. I readily agreed. He paid Rs.120 towards hostel stay expenses for the entire year. He also left Rs.100 with me to buy books and note books I needed for my education. Every month he used to send Rs.100 for boarding charges I need to settle to the mess that provided coffee both in the morning and evening, breakfast from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., lunch from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. and dinner from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The mess expenses for all of that used to be approximately Rs.65 to Rs.70 per month. The balance Rs. 30 is my pocket money for anything else I wanted to do.

Since most of my friends from the school joined along with me, the pre-university was uneventful. After I finished the pre-university, my dad wanted me to do Bachelor’s degree in commerce so that I could become a Chartered Accountant. He was tired of every one of our family members becoming engineers for 3 generations. I took his advice and continued in the same college to do B.Com. Since, I had lived in that town for a year; I got to know many new friends and wanted to explore visiting nearby places.

One fine day, we wanted to go on a picnic to an island located just 6 miles away from our college. Three of us left in the bus to get to the adjacent town and we needed to walk a couple of miles to reach the bank of a river. We need to have a boat ride for nearly 20 minutes to get to that island. We decided to spend the entire day in the island to explore it completely. When we reached the bank of the river, a boy who was just 10 had a small boat and offered to take us to the island. Even though two of us were very reluctant, a senior student who came with us readily agreed and asked us to get on the boat. Our travel to the island was uneventful. We told him that we would pay him after he drops us back again at the same place from where we left. He readily agreed. We explored the island for nearly 4 hours and after that we got tired and decided to get back. When we reached the spot where the boy dropped us, he was not available but the boat was docked. After nearly 15 minutes, he came running from somewhere and told he was ready. He was holding some hay in his hand and we were wondering why he was holding it.

After the boat started moving, we noticed that some water came inside the boat and when we told that boy, he gave the hay to us and asked us to plug the hole with it. We began to understand the issue and two of us started sweating as we did not know how to swim. Only the senior knew how to swim. Within 10 minutes boat capsized, we were all thrown into the water. I was the first one to reconcile to the fate and quietly went down without any hue and cry. However, my other friend who did not know swimming was making a lot of noise. The senior grabbed me by my hair and brought me above the water and told me to hold the capsized boat until further instructions. He then grabbed my friend and started swimming towards the other side of the river. I was hoping and praying that he would come back to get me.

Within 20 minutes he came back and told me to hold my hands around his hip. He swam quickly toward the place where we left. The boy who capsized the boat promptly came back to ask for money and we paid his charges. We thanked the senior student profusely and told him that we owe our lives to him. On the way back, we all went to the famous temple in the neighboring town and prayed for a long time for saving our lives. That senior used to tell us jovially that he owns two of our lives throughout the period we stayed in the hostel.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank God for the Senior that you are able to tell us the story. It must have been a terrifying experience. Hope you learnt swimming.

3. Viswamitra

Thank you for your feedback. It was a terrifying experience that I never told my parents. I did not learn swimming but I did teach swimming to my son so that he would never get drowned.

Viswa

4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswamitra,

அன்னை காவேரி அன்பின் உருவானவள். அதனால்தான் மூழ்கிய குழந்தையைத் திரும்பி அளித்து விட்டாள் போலும்.

உண்மையிலேயே ஒரு மறக்க முடியாத அனுபவமதான்!

படித்து மகிழ்ந்தேன்.

நன்றி.

5. Viswamitra

Dear Suryakala,

Thank you for your kind feedback. Yes. It was a unique experience. I am so indebted to the senior's presence of mind. You are right. Annai Kaveri only feeds people.

Viswa