Navratri Pooja Vidhi

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Prettypink, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Prettypink

Prettypink Senior IL'ite

Hi ILites,

Iam a new member. Need some help with Navratri Pooja.

We have been keeping golu from past 10yrs. But this year planning to do strict durga pooja in the form of Kalasam for 9 days.

I have have gathered most of the information from the internet but still have few doubts which i think i can get it cleared from experts here.

Can somebody help me....

2. nalini468

nalini468 Gold IL'ite

Hi Prettypink,

what are the doubts which u have on Durga Pooja during Navratri... plz post ur doubts so that some or the other can clarify them...

3. Prettypink

Prettypink Senior IL'ite

Hi Nalini,

Thanks for the reply dear.. I plan to do the pooja this time like how the North Indians celebrate.

1. when is the right day to keep the Kalasam. In the internet, its said (Ghatasthapana/Kalash sthapana) should be done on 25th Sep around 6.15 - 7.54 (its the pratipada day). But my mom says we should keep the kalasam on 23rd which is amavasya because for Golu, she used to keep the kalasam on the 1st step on Amavasya.

2. Its mentioned that we should sow barley seeds in the mud bed on which we sould keep the kalasam. Since i stay in bangalore and could not find the whole barley seeds, is it ok to sow navadhanya seeds

3. What slokams should be recited on each day. can we recite durga mantra 108 times daily. this doubt arised because the devi is celebrated as Maa Durga for 1st 3 days and Maa Lakshmi for the next 3 days and the last 3 days as Maa Saraswati. Should i recite durga mantra 1st and then recite the respective goddess mantras accordingly. If i have to recite Durga Shaptasati, which chapter should be reicted..

4. I plan to strictly be on fast. So what are the fasting vidhis. Will be avoiding non-veg, onions and garlic. While fasting is it ok to consume coffee and tea. or should be strictly on furits and milk only.

5. After the morning pooja, can i sleep in the afternoon and then take bath again the evening and then do pooja.

6. Finally when should we do kanya pooja and when should the goddess forms be invited for the pooja. is it in the afternoon or evening. What should be offered to them

7. One more MAJOR concern. My monthly cycle is due on 27th or 28th unfortunately. So is it ok to invited goddess home in the form of Kalasam and then my mom continue to do the pooja on those days. But she cannot recite all the slokas and mantras as i plan to do..

Little confused with all these and requesting help here...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
  4. Prettypink

Prettypink Senior IL'ite

Oh my God, i visit everyday to check hoping to get some help.. :(

Dearies, please help with what ever info you have..

5. nalini468

nalini468 Gold IL'ite

Hi PrettyPink,

1. Usually Kalasam will be placed on the 1st day of Navaratri early in the morning and do the pooja of Maa Durga. Also, lemon garland can be used to decorate the photo of Maa Durga. Offer Prasad to Maa Durga every day.
    2. As far as I know, nava dhanya seeds are used to sow in navaratri.
    3. We can recite Maa Durga Ashtotharam, also can recite the ashtotharam of the alankaram of Maa Durga on that day.. usually Maa Durga is worshipped in 9 different avatars these 9 days.
    4. How to fast these 9 days depends on our capability.. Should not have non-veg/garlic/onions. We can have fruits/milk whole day and leave fasting by having Sabudana (saga) kichdi in the night these 9 days. On the day of Dasara, we can have the food as usual (no fasting).
    5. We can invite small children on Maharnavami and offer them betel leaves/flowers/fruits/dakshina/betelnuts (thamboolam). Also can offer food to these small children on Maharnavami.
    6. It is ok for your mom to do the pooja on those days. But, it is better if she can recite Maa Durga Ashtotharam or else she can chant Durga mantra.

6. Prettypink

Prettypink Senior IL'ite

Hi Nalini,

Bunch of thanks..:grinning:Thank you for all the clarifications .. :thankyou2:

God bless :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2016
  7. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Navaratris starting from October 1 to 10, 2016....
    Worship Maa Durga by chanting Navarna Mantra..and by fasting, if possible....