Navratri Golu Decorations - Ideas and Tips

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by gvi, Jul 18, 2007.

1. NirajaJayabal

NirajaJayabal New IL'ite

Thanks Ami for your response..
    To be clear, the reason for my question was that, is it fine to keep the Gods on the basement and we walk over on the first floor? Is it disrespectful to the GOD???.

Thanks,
    - Niru

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

If you look at that way, even the Goddess Bhooma devi holding all of us and lives under the ground according to our Hindu culture. As long as you do the pooja sincerely and wholeheartedly, that is all that matters. Hence, specifically, we avoid certain things during navarathiri, like avoiding fights, commotions etc.,So, dont worry about that. Atleast you can focus completely on the Goddess if it is in the basement without anyone's disturbance which is the positive side.

3. NirajaJayabal

NirajaJayabal New IL'ite

:iagreewith you and thanks again for clearing my doubts.
    Having in basement, yes , i can keep safe from my daughter..:):idea
    I have one more question, do pppl change kalasam everyday during navrathri??

Thanks,
    - Niru

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

No, pls..let her have some fun. I remember when my daughter was small, she always tried to sit at the last step or constantly, took the chettiar bommai's head and would run away. Now, she is in third and so disciplined. so, dont stop her. kalasam has to be taken out only on the 11th day, atleast, that is what my folks does.

5. lak0009

lak0009 New IL'ite

Hi,

I would like to keep Golu in my house for the upcoming Navarathiri. This will be my first experience. We don't have any temples at my place. Could anyone share with me which direction the Golu i.e dolls should face. Are there any specific prayers that we have to chants daily? Do we need to grow the 9 grains in front of the golu?What is Marapachi?When do i invite guest over? Is it a daily event or do i pick one day only? What is the steps to perform on the 10th day? Are there any rituals before removing the dolls?

I am really new to this. Really appreciate all the guidelines i can get.
    Thanks a million.

6. NirajaJayabal

NirajaJayabal New IL'ite

Thanks ami for clearing my doubts everytime. your suggestion is taken....:)
    by-d-way what is thali plate? i see ppl making creative aarthi plates here in IL, but wondering how they use it....do ppl giveaway those plates while giving thamboolam or they re-use it( coffee serving plates)?? can you elaborate on this for me Ami??, bec first time iam hearing this thaliplate.... :(.

thanks again,
    - Niru

7. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Either you can buy or make like these decorative plates as a thamboolam gift to ladies. And, thamboolam should not be given with your hands, have to use some kind of plates which we use it for serving purpose or tray like we use to do in INdia, remember.

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

As far as I know, east direction is preferable. Lalitha sahasranmam chanting or archana should be done during these nine days. 9 grains not necessary.. any 9 days, some people they even call on vijayadasami at the worst case. But, you have to do neivedhyam and chanting/pooja everyday whether people coming or not. Nowadays, no one is calling every day coz of the busy day. yr convenience anyways. 10th day, depending on each & every family. For example in my in laws place, they put maavilaku for our deity. So, check with yr family.

9. NirajaJayabal

NirajaJayabal New IL'ite

So Ami do you mean that we have to giveaway the thali plates along with blouse, beetle leave and all that stuff??? as gift!. so how do you do normally?, iam sorry for asking you too many questions, hope you dont mind me.
    Keeping golu is not something usual in our family also my in-laws side, iam the 1st perrson to intiate all this, thats the reason.

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Depending on the budget, some people give tray with fruit design or circular flower design glass plate which is available in walmart, that is what I meant. Even in Chennai, it is available in saravana stores in a different model. Or else, plastic dabba or ceramic material containers etc. I dont give blouse material, as many people they dont even use it atleast in US.