Navratri 2012 - Contest for Oct 2012

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Induslady, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharanS

SharanS Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Great to know about this contest. I am Sharanya and my theme for the year 2012 is "Tamizhan endru sollada, thalai nimirndhu nillada". I have linked every aspect of golu with the lives of tamizh makkal.

Displayed the sangam landscapes-
    Kurinji, mullai, marudham, neidhal and paalai which seems to be the main attraction. A tamizh story of "suttapazham" involving avvaiyar and murugan is in display. Also, the titbits about divine dolls and social life have been explained via charts.

A cute set of teddies have been displayed as an exclusive golu for kids.

Attached Files:

10 people like this.
  2. SharanS

SharanS Senior IL'ite

Continuation of the display

Attached Files:

12 people like this.
  3. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]Dear ILites,
    Wish you a Happy & Colourful Navaratri…
    I have attached photos of my golu.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1. A backdrop made by me depicting Durga, Lakshmi & Saraswati. Lotus for Mahalakshmi, Trishul for Durga & book for Saraswati. Would like to thank Sudha Kailas Madam as this is inspired from her creative crafts . Other is a traditional 5 step Golu.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2.The theme this time is “Periya Puranam”. I am able to depict only 5(out of 63) scenes from Nayanmar's lives.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a.Thiru Neelakanta Nayanar – He is seen taking a dip in the tank holding a stick with his wife.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]b. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]b.Kungiliya Kalayanar - He is seen straightening a Shivalingam with a rope tied around his neck. I humbly state, I was born in the same town of this Nayanamar (Thiruppanandal).
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]c. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]c.Manakancharar Nayanmar – He is seen with his daughter and son-in-law. Lord Siva came in the form of Sivanadiyar and asked for his daughter’s hair to be worn as a holy thread. With a second thought, he tonsured his daughter’s head, on her marriage day and offered her long braid to the Lord. You can see her long braid on the shoulders of the Sivanadiyar, in the pic.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]d. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]d.Siruthonda Nayanar – He is seen with his wife and servant maid, offering his son Seeralan for the lord disguised as Sivanadiyar, in a sumptuous lunch.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]e. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]e.Appoodhi Adigal – He is seen with his wife. More than Lord Siva, he worshipped Appar (also known as Thirunavukkarasar) and attained Mukti. He is a epitome of Guru Bhakti.

In these days, reading Tamil literature has become scarce, especially among School going Children. Most of them in CBSE schools opt for Hindi & Sanskrit.Even many parents are unaware of Thevaram or Thiruvasagam. Given this opportunity, I have many visitiors from my apartment bring their Children & North Indians asking me to explain the greatness of Periya Puranam & Nayanmars. That was the most fulfilling part of my Golu 2012.

[/FONT]

Attached Files:

15 people like this.
  4. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Hi All

Lovely golu from my friends and my wishes too.

"Happy Navarathiri"

5. vanajanagarajan

vanajanagarajan Bronze IL'ite

20121017_211329.jpg 20121017_211457.jpg 20121017_211505.jpg 20121017_211555.jpg My main golu theme is 'Women are great'. I have presented the stories of the following wonderful women:

• Sakthidevi
    • Lakshmidevi
    • Sathi Anusuya
    • Seetha devi and her ma Bhooma devi
    • Sathi Suganya
    • Meenakshi Kalyanam-Marapachi bommai decoration
    • A MOTHER IS BORN-the story of the life a woman, from the day she is born to the birth of her daughter and how life continues to exist thru women.
    • Other dolls are depictions of the celebrations at USA-Easter, Independence day, Christmas, Halloween day, Thanksgiving day
    • Also presented are: Garudasevai at Pittsburg, Kuthuvilakku decorated as goddess,chettiar kadai 20121016_222251.jpg

12 people like this.
  6. vanajanagarajan

IMG_1145-002.jpg IMG_1141-002.jpg IMG_1136-002.jpg IMG_1135-002.jpg More pictures of my golu. IMG_1134-002.jpg

12 people like this.
  7. vanajanagarajan

IMG_1166-002.jpg IMG_1170-002.jpg Some more pictures IMG_1162-002.jpg

11 people like this.
  8. AArchana

AArchana Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies!!!
    All your golus are so nice and so different!!! Happy navarathiri to all !!!

9. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

My entry for the contest!
    photo(2).JPG

Though not an exhaustive collection of golu bommais or themed ones I do have an interesting section in my arrangement:

Ganesha Corner
    IMG_0971.JPG

Collection of Souvenirs collected during travels from Tokyo to Munich
    IMG_0972.JPG

Happy Navratri!

7 people like this.
  10. brindhav

brindhav Senior IL'ite

NAVARATHRI 2012

This year the Navarathri Kolu is eco friendly at our house. The theme of the Navarathri is to emphasise the power of ‘Srichakra”. The life sized idol of Kanchi Kamatchi and Paramacharya is made up using the daily newspaper and with maida glue. No plastic or other material is used in creating it. The Srichakra has the power to remove negative planetary influences and vasthu defects. It gives an aura of love, happiness , health and prosperity. It is the genetic code of the cosmos.
    The images are life sized and completely hand made. It was made of paper strips cut from the daily newspaper. All the members were involved in the making of it. The Srichakra yantra has been constructed with ‘Kumkum’. The Navarathri includes dolls on five steps which are nearly 100 years old.

regards,

brindha v

Attached Files:

10 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.