Navrathri Dolls in Dubai ?

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Dubai' started by Kurunji, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Hi,
    Where can we get golu bommais for keeping during Navarathri ? I've checked in the shops near the temples, but the Tamilian shops have only small brass idols . Some North indian shops have dolls , but they're from China -- so bit pricey even for a small idol. Plus finish & facial features of the Lord is not appealing.
    Anybody knows where else nice idols or 'sets' like cricket match, janavasam etc. are available ??

Regards,
    Kurunji.

2. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Kurunji,
    I have not seen sets like Janavasam, Cricket set in Dubai. However, you will get fountains with Lakshmi/ Ganesha in temple-side shops. Give it a try at Tamil Sandhai, near Saravana Bhavan in Karama.
    You can look for some dolls in Choithram (general category..like show piece items only). It is difficult to find dolls like how we get in India.
    If you find a shop of your choice, please lt me know.

Regards
    USHA

3. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

hi kurinji,

last navrathri i saw the perumal kadai near krishnan temple in meena bazaar selling dolls..they were having dolls like muruga,ganesha,siva and parvathi....so during the start of golu u can try for the dolls there....in madhur supermarket in meena bazaar u wud get dolls like ganesh,siva,lakshmi n all....so have a look at these places..

lov
    sowmi

4. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Thanks for replying Usha ; I've seen the ones with fountains / waterfall etc. attached in a shop in Dragon Mart -- but was too flashy ! Tamil Sandhai, as far as I know was more into foodstuff only, the usual vadams , podis etc. Anyway, next trip I'll ask the shopkeeper itself about the dolls.

Thanks Sowmi -- I only tried the Home needs shop behind Hitachi ; never thought of seeing in Madhoor, as it is North indian shop, thought they don't celebrate Golu !! Even Adil didn't have any. And Perumal kadai, think I went too early ... :icon_frown: he had no dolls & when asked, didn't say clearly whether they'll get it even --- staying so far away, I didn't get a chance to go again !!
    This year I'll check there as well as Madhoor.

Regards,
    Kurunji.

5. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

hi kurunji,

As usha and sowmi said only in tamil shops and madhoor, n choitram we get dolls, u can get a lot of fancy dolls and sets in day today discount and other 1-2 dirham irani shops, getting tradition indian sets here is doubtful only, but definitely during the season you can find some(like ponnu vekkara idathula poo vekkara maathii) bommais in tamil shops near temple, whenever you visit temple keep asking them abt golu dolls and make some special requisitions, they'll definitely consider our requests

happy advance navarathri wishes!!!

6. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Dear Suja,

Thanks for replying ; guess I should have come across IL last year itself, then I wouldn't have missed them ....
    Anyway, this year I will certainly have a look in all these shops , maybe we may run into each other while shopping ! :yes:

A Very Very Happy Navrathri & Golu Keeping to you also Suja !

Regards.

7. deepaajith

deepaajith New IL'ite

hi,

I have heard only about one temple near burdubai, but still haven't been there. Is that only the "krishnan temple"?

8. deepaajith

deepaajith New IL'ite

hi,

I live in alnadha 2, dubai and this is my first navratri in dubai and have managed to keep a mini 3 step golu. I would like to know if there are tambrams nearby in order to invite to navratri for thambulam. Would be great if we could meet and socilaize. Eagerly waiting for reply.

9. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Hello Deepa,
    Wish you a very happy Navarathri. Just behind the Dubai Museum, we have Krishna Temple & Shiva Temple. The Krishna temple has Srinathji. Inside the Shiva Temple, they have also kept Shirdi Sai Baba & in the 1st floor, we have Gurdwar.