Nausea and Vomitting during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by simi, Jun 13, 2005.

1. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Re: Tablets for trimester vomitting?

I know exactly how you feel.... I used to feel much better if I throw up once, it will be a great relief from the constant nausea sensation. Again, you will definitely feel better and less tired after week 14. After your first ultrasound is over, you can pass a lot of time looking at your baby's photos. :2thumbsup:. Think of all the positives.

Take care.

2. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Re: Tablets for trimester vomitting?

:yes:I totally agree with you geetha.

Since i had abdominal cramps and spotting,doctor did my first ultrasound lastweek itself to make sure if things are okie.

Wat a miracle.We could see our baby's heart beat.A tiny fetus was beating.We were totally excited to see that.The most unforgetable moment in our life!!!

I felt femals are really blessed in GOD's creature.!!!

3. scrpscrp

scrpscrp New IL'ite

Urgent help needed EXTREME NAUSEA

Hi Ilites,

Iam Siri from Melbourne currently 7 weeks pregnant with an extreme nausea Witsend. I seriously need help because recently GOT discharged from hospital because i was affected with dehydration and a weight loss of nearly 5 Kgs in a period of 3 weeks.

My problem is i have all day sickness as soon as i wake up i will have my first vomitting will some how manage to have 2 biscuts and some liquid within 20 mins I will vomit the same and if in between i try to have some water ( I feel thirsty to the core all day) but vomit the same in no time. Again I will try to have some dry fruits or some juice or some other fruits and the condition is the same after i finish eating. Whole day this thing continues and even at nights sometimes its been like early morning 3.00 or 4.00. My throat pains and burs so much. I crave for drinking water even I Vomit even water. Doctors suggested me with a tablet every time b4 food i should have it . Iam taking that as well but no effect on me. I tried home remedies such as ginger,smelling lemon etc. When I was admitted in hospital last time they gave me 4 drips and few injections. I didnt vomit much but very little. So they found my health to be ok and got me discharged.

I am a house wife its been ages since i cooked ( nearly 3 weeks ) My husband is taking care of almost everthing at home. I tried eating rice but after having 2 or 3 spoons i will vomit. I am basically a food lover but these days i am fed up of eating and puking. I dont know how am going to manage rest of my days. Again I might get admitted in hospital because whole night i have been vomitting. I feel tired, week and very depressed with the whole thing. This is my first pregnancy and i love to be a mother and i am ready to eat and vomit but iam unable to do the same. bonk

Please help me out i want a healthy baby and a safe delivery. But I really dont know how to manage my current situation here as I dont have much friends. These days the climate is so chill i wont go to walking or so. I feel dizzy from 2,3 days and I have a very low BP. Is it advisable to be in Melbourne or Shall i go back to India for 3 or 4 months. Here as far as medical care is concerned everything is free of cost and facilities are very good. I have come to Melbourne only 3 months back and going to India immediately is quite expensive as we just started settling with our lives.

Iam really confused with everything. :hide:

Please please save me

4. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Re: Urgent help needed EXTREME NAUSEA

Hi Sri, Congratulations on your pregnancy, Surprisingly you and I have the same name Sri...what a sync ;)....by the way what you are experiencing now is very common during the first trimester of pregnancy and even i went through the same thing...I know how horrible it is...even i am lucky to have a understanding husband who took care of the entire household....

It took me 3 months to identify how to get through this situation and by the time i found out i was stepping into the second trimester and all my bad days were gone....

During the nights when we sleep all the food we have the night before gets digested and leaves you with a empty stomach...and with all these hormones when you get up with an empty stomach you land in the bathrooms puking...so when you go to sleep, keep a glass of milk and a banana near you and have them in a 3 hrs interval, this will make sure you dont have a empty stomach, you cannot eat something which is hard to digest, because your digestive system is not working in the usual pace during night times...and hey try to keep ur self hydrated through out the day, even if you puke take some liquids, i dont know if you get Gatorade or glucon c or D in your place, consult your doctor and ask if you can take any energy drinks...

and girl before even stepping down from your bed take few crackers or a glass of milk...this really helps...

Take care....

Sri

5. scrpscrp

scrpscrp New IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Thanks a lot for the quick response. Since childhood I dont like milk but still managed to have it few times and I even tried drinking something similar to glucon d here . It was told that it will help me to keep hydrated and i tried drinking in very small quantities. That day also the same thing puked till the last drop. All I can do is eat and drink as much as possible doing the same. after puking on a long strench i feel so dizzy and feel sleepy . I sleep more during the day than nights. Its really strange to undergo so many changes at a time. Will try to have milk and regarding crackers i eat it as soon as i get up.

Sri

6. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

hi this is common during the first trimester, but if you are vomiting more than 3-4 times a day you need to go to ur gynae who shud give u some medication to limit the vomiting. u need to keep some food down. eat something even in the middle of the night. eat smaller meals during the day at more frequent intervals.all the best and dont worry, its perfectly normal

7. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Sri,

Congratulations for your pregnancy!!

As other ILs have already told you that nausea, vomiting, weakness are very much normal during first trimester because we all gone through the same phase :crazy, the only difference is intensity. Its a circle you know some weeks back I was receiving same advices here and now I am giving you oneBow, after some weeks you shall be giving it to somebody else, right. I am in my 18th week now and from this week only I have started feeling better.

My condition wasnt so bad as yours is because you are vomiting so much I used to vomit once in a day and used to suffer nausea for the whole day as a result I also lost around 5 kgs in 2 months. But believe me there must be something that can relieve you its only you who has to find it out :idea.

1.First speak to your Gyn abt it that you are vomiting so much so that she will give you some strong medication to stop your vomitings because you just cant land up in hospital everytime Drowning.

2.Have you tried licking lemons as it helped me but sometimes only.

3.Try eating small meals like if you feel hungry(even if you dont and feel nauseous) eat an apple/any fruit or half slice of bread, soups, or anything you like. My Indian family Gyn said eat junk food if you like but please eat something that is what important for now and if you are worried about nutrition you can catch up with it in later 6 months :-D.

4.I know liquids must be making you more nauseous but try sipping water as you sip hot tea. for e.g a sip in half hour or 15mnts. But do take liquids and like ursnegithi said it would be great if you can get some energy drink like gatorade, powerade or glucon d these drinks provide your body essential electrolytes, sodium etc. so you wont feel dizzy:spin. My docs assistant suggested me taking energy drinks in lemon/lime flavour so that I can take and keep it down.

5.There is a Indian site link in some thread in "I m Pregnant" section only It says if you feel nausea its a good sign because your body is trying to get rid of all the toxins in the body to safeguard your baby :goodidea:. It also says you can try taking plain water 1-2 glass first thing in the morning and vomit it. This way you will throw up all the toxins or say acids in stomach accumulated during the night :eek. After that you can rest as much as you want then when you feel like eating start eating in very small meals. I tried it and it releived me 50% of times. :mrgreen:

Try these things and keep us posted. I will surely post If something else cross my mind. And be positive because only 7-8 weeks are left when you will start feeling better.

Take Good Care
    V n baby

8. scrpscrp

scrpscrp New IL'ite

Dear Ilites,

Thank you so much for your suggestions Priya and VnBaby. Today I got discharged from hospital. Iam adviced to take lots of fluids if i cant eat food. I have decided to go to India as iam feeling really really tired to be at home all day alone and because of some other issues. Once I go there i think everything will be fine. But planning to come back for delivery. As from other posts i have found many people are traveling druring the first trimester. Decided to take a letter from gynac as well. While coming to India my husband is with me but on return i might need to travel alone.
    May come back during 6th or 7th month again after consulting the doctor i got to decide the same..

I consulted the GP here and she also adviced me to take even water sip by sip even small meals as you said. I somehow like to have warm water than the normal . So i can feel like am having tea as you told.

I have problem in eating the tablet but when i had the same tablets injection the nause came down to a large extent.

Hope I will recover soon and thanks once again to ursneghithi also for sharing the valuable tips and advices.

cya
    Siri.

9. ampu

ampu New IL'ite

Vomtings for Milk

Hai all,

Hope all are doing good. I have a small question ....I had severe vomitings in my first trimister but now in second trimister i am doing good. Only thing which I am not able to take is milk. Now and then I throw up few things but on the whole my food intake is good. Today I just tried eating cereals with milk and I vomited ...and I found some blood as well in the vomit ...did any one of you face such thing? I got scared seeing it need to check with doctor also .Please let me know if any one has idea

-AMPU

10. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Re: Vomtings for Milk

Hi Ampu,
    Please do check with your doc. But the blood could just be due to the fact that you strained yourself while vomiting. During pregnancy as there are more smaller blood vessels in all the mucosal layers you could've ruptured some small capillary which may just heal on its own as long as you don't keep reinjuring it. Reduce the amount of spices, oils and foods that are hot temperature wise for a couple of days until your gut heals - if it hurts then eat soft foods and avoid coarse textured ones for a few days. With regard to milk, do not fret about not being able to consume it. You can substitute milk with other milk products like cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt etc and try them in different flavors and see which is better for you. Also avoid consuming milk as the very first food in the morning - try to have some milk product in some other meal. Also don't consume it as the very last meal just before your bedtime. Try to have it during the day hours when you are up and about and give it enough time to digest before you go to bed. Experiment with various milk products one at a time and in small quantities until you find something you can stick to.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    -L.