1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Nausea And Discomfort While Doing Yoga

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I tried doing Surya Namaskars at home..but whenever I do the Asanas that reQuire me to bend down I feel very nauseated and dizzy..it happens only with exercises that require me to bend..
    I have tried doing on empty stomach and also on partially filled stomach by having some drink or light snack half n hour before Yoga. But no relief in either case..
    I face similar issue with other toning exercises that requirement to bend.
    Has anyone faced this issue and overcame?
    Any suggestions that will work for me?

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. During yoga I do feel dizzy sometimes especially while doing back bends or bending and then rising. The instructors do caution is during certain poses that dizziness may occur and to get out of it slowly. I always close my eyes while working on some asanas and get out of it slowly. The blood rush is what causes it.

@Srama will have some insights for you. I'm a novice practicing yoga but she is the teacher and the expert.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I can only do Surya Namaskar first thing in morning, where stomach is completely empty (except for water).

When I tried SN mid afternoon, I would feel as if my food was coming up (even though I hadn't eaten for 2 to 3 hours)

Needtobestrong likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Laks09, Thank you for the tag!

@Needtobestrong,

the first thing that comes to mind is breath. Watch it - are you holding it way too much. Asanas are designed in such a way that the movement is in sync with your breath, no matter how long or short you hold it. In Uttanasana, I cue the students with a "inhale look forward, exhale release" I repeat this allowing students to take more breaths as they get deeper into the pose. See if this link helps you do your Uttanasana the right way and help you Standing Forward Bend

If you think your breath and movement are in sync, then I would urge you to keep a micro-bend in your knees as you bend forward. This seems to help a lot of students.

After reading your questions, I did look up online and found a couple of articles (more in detail) and they seem to agree with the breath part. For a fact, I know bending knees slightly has helped some of the students and some of us teachers during our training. Hope it helps. Please do let me know.

If you are interested, here are the links to the articles...

Why Do I Get Dizzy During Yoga? | Dizziness During Yoga | Yoga FAQs

Also it is generally advised to keep stomach empty for a couple of hours before yoga especially if it includes asana.

Needtobestrong and Laks09 like this.