1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nature's Fury-serial story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Episode 7:

Sankaran's shout had stunned everyone. The chief prohith asked him why he wants the jabam to be stopped.

Sankaran's head was swarmed with images, warnings etc. He said feebly,' I am having a premonition that due to the chorus of chanting the jabam the sea would rise and swallow Rameswaram, Dhanushkodi and all of us. We can save ourselves first by stopping the jabam and then move to Gandamadana Parvatham (a small hillac at Ramesawaram)'.

The chief prohith did not know what to do and he started thinking. One prohith commented,'I think Sankaran has gone to a late night film show at the touring talkies at Dhanushkodi yesterday and that is why he is blabbering like this' and everyone laughed.

The chief prohith was knowing Sankaran's father Vaidyanatha Sasthrigal and had a high regard for him. So, he said,' Sankara, how do you say sea will rise. As I know the historyof this place so far it has never occurred. I feel that chanting jabam for close to three hours now in empty stomach excepting for a cup of coffee has taken its toll on you and you are having hallucinations. You see actually our jabam has brought the much needed rains (outside it had started rains with gale winds) and I wish the rains will reach Chennai and Chettiar will be happy. Now, I cannot allow you to continue here as already your interruption has forced us to start the jabam all over again. I will ask the Chettiar people at the gate to give you the hundred rupees dakshinai and silk dhoti. Please leave at once'. His words were echoed by everyone there and they shouted, 'leave at once'.

Sankaran in a dazed state made his way to the exit and collected rupees hundred ( he was instructed by his father to collect it without fail as he wanted to buy a radio and listen to his favourite carnatic singers like Tiger Varadhachariar, Madurai mani Iyer, Semmangudi Sreenivasa Iyer etc.). He did not bother to collect the silk dhothi. He kept the gunny bag on his head and started walking towards the railway station in the pouring rain.

Reaching the station, Sankaran boarded the passenger train waiting to leave for Dhanushkodi. The train was filled with people returning after the pooja by the King of Nepal. They all received money, cloths and had a feast organised by the king. So, they were happily talking and singing. In their midst Sakaran was seated like a corpse. His mind was reeling with images and in one such image he saw Kosalai. Not knowing what he is doing, he started searching for Kosalai in all the compartments calling her name loudly . People all laughed at him and some called him as a mad man.

Suddenly, Sankaran got the image of the sea rising not far from the train and he again went from compartment to compartment pleading with people to get off the train and go to Gandamadana Parvatham. No one took him seriously as it was raining also. Again, people laughed at him and some women pitied him saying, 'Yaar petha pillaiyo' (who has given birth to him!).

Tidal waves rose by as high as 20 feet and took the train along with all the passengers. Sankaran also was hit by the waves and was drowning. As is the beleif that Matha Ganges, the goddess of water, gives three chances to the drowning person before accepting him into her fold Sankaran got three chances. When he first came afloat, he saw the train along with the passengers being swallowed. When he came afloat second time he saw the great Pamban bridge which unites Rameswaram with the main land being washed away. When he came aflost for the third and final time, he saw the Gopura Kalasam on the Shiva temple at Dhanishkodi(the highest point of Dhanushkodi) going under water. For a brief moment, Sankaran thought about his father and the hundres rupee note in the folds of his dhothi before being swallowed by the sea.

Sankaran's father was not at Dhanushkodi at the time of sea rising. He was urgently summoned to assist the king of Nepal in his pooja as the chief priest of Ramnatha Swamy temple had fallen sick. They had sent a motor car to fetch him. After the pooja and the feast, when Sankaran's father came out he saw the gory sight of the train being washed away standing on the steps of the Rameswaram temple. People all were moving to elevated places due to water level rising. The rising water came and touched the feet of Sankaran's father and there came floating the hundred rupee note and touched his feet.

To be continued.....

2. Tamildownunder

Episode 8:

There was heavy silence in captain's cabin as Raman completed his narration of the second tsunami incident. It was past mid-night and the people in captain's cabin were bleary eyed with drinks and the heavy dosage of the narration. But, the captain was strangeely sober even after taking several glasses of the alcohol as he was a seasoned campaigner. One man had passed out and the captain remarked humourously,'I am sure once he comes to surface he is going to ask like the proverbial frog which asked has Rama gone to forest many years after Rama's crowning, has Sankaran reached Danushkodi back'. All had a hearty laugh at this reamark by the captain.

He then turned to Raman and said,' Dr.Raman, now I know all about......', before he could complete, Raman intervened and said,' Youknow all about tsunami, but do you know all about Ulele?'. On hearing about 'all about Ulele', captain laughed loudly. As others were curious to know about Ulele, Raman said,' In one of P.G. Wodehouse novels, the hero Bertram Wooster will visit his aunt's place in the county. Among the guests there was one burly chap called Spode. He disliked Wooster as he was in love with Wooster's cousin who in turn was in love with Wooster. So, Spode cornered Wooster and warned him to keep away from the girl, otherwise he will break his neck. Terrified Wooster consulted his gentleman's gentleman Jeeves who told him to tell when Spode approached him,' I know all about Ulele'. Next day, when Wooster's cousin planted him a kiss, Spode saw that and angry Spode came to beat Wooster. When Wooster told him 'I know all about Ulele', Spode got deflated and became friendly to Wooster with a request not to tell anyone about Ulele. Now, Ulele is the brand name of the undergarment which Spode was manufacturing and selling. Spode is afraid that people will make fun of him when they come to know that he is the manufacturer of Ulele much like in Tamil Nadu people make fun of Naidu Hall'.

Right at that time Raman's daughter came there and said to Raman,' Daddy, the movie is over and we are going back to our cabin. Mom wants to know when are you coming'. Raman said to her,' You proceed darling, let me take leave of people here and join you'. When she was about to leave, suddenly captain called and asked her for her name. She replied as 'Kousalya' and left. Captain then turned to Raman and said,' Well, Dr.Raman we have been enlightened about tsunami through your narrations. You must be tired. Please go to your cabin and take rest. We will continue to talk about tsunami tomarrow. Fortunately, the sea is very calm and you should get a nice sleep without rolls and bumps. By the way may I know your birth year Raman'. Raman said '1965' and then said Good night to every one and left for his cabin.

After Raman left, captain said,' I have a hunch that our Raman is the reincarnation of both Marudu and Sankaran'. Others asked him how and he said,'Kousalya, his daughter's name and Kosalai both match and Dhanushkodi went under sea in 1964. Raman is born one year later and so I am putting two and two together'. One person said,'so what?' and the captain replied,' if it is true then we are having a mobile tsunami warning system'. He then laughed and people got up and went to their respective cabins. Captain called his assistant and asked him to take the person who had passed out, to his cabin.

Dr. Raman, his wife and daughter had retired to their beds and Raman's daughter said,' so far we have not seen the sunrise or sunset and so Mom and I are getting up early to watch the sun rise. What about you Daddy?'. Raman said,' I am tired and it is already late. So, I don't think I can wake up early to see sunrise. But, surely I would like to watch the sunset'. His daughter said,' Good night, sweet dreams, Daddy' but Raman had slipped into deep slumber not knowing that next day his sleep is going to be disturbed.

To be continued......

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Reincarnation !! Wow. Nice twist.

Sankaran's end made sad reading. The poor boy ! The hundred rupee note floating in the surf was the perfect touch of pathos.

rgds
    manjula

4. Tamildownunder

Hi, Manjula,

Your FB has pepped me up. I was down in spirits with IL going off air for few days and when it came on the episode I had posted was missing and there were no FBs from you, sudha, kamala and others. Thanks for your appreciation. In one or two episodes the story is reaching its climax and I am sure it is going to spring a surprise for you.

Regards,

TDU

P.S: I was inspired to add anecdotes from the great P.G.W, by you.

5. Tamildownunder

Episode 9:

Next day, Raman woke up very late and was greeted by his daughter who said,'Good Morning,Daddy. You have missed a great sight of sunrise. Mom has taken snaps and you take a look at them. There were lots of people on the upper deck to watch it and many took snaps. The sun rose like a big red ball making the water first reddish and then shining like silver. It was a fantastic sight'. Raman said,' I am glad you enjoyed it darling. I will certainly come to watch the sunset'.

After breakfast, Raman went to the captain's cabin and found the captain sitting in the company of same persons as the previous night and the person who had passed out was now sober. Smiling at Raman he said, 'Raman saab, yesterday I missed your narration in the middle, I want to know whether Sankaran reached back Dhanushkodi'. Captain and others had a hearty laugh and captains said, 'didn't I say yesterday night that he would ask?'. Raman explained to him how the sea rose and swallowed the train along with Sankaran and hundreds of passengers and Dhanushkodi as well.

He then took leave of the captain and others and went for lunch along with his daughter and wife. After lunch, Raman settled with his family to watch a movie which was being shown in the lounge area. The movie was the English classic 'The old man and the sea'. Raman had read the novel by the Nobel prize winning novelist Ernest Hemingway. Initially, Raman enjoyed the movie especially the scenes where the young boy who becomes friendly with the old man and the old man narrating his experiences at sea to the boy. Later on Raman could not bear to watch the old man fighting to save his catch of big fish from the attacking sharks.

He returned to his cabin and started testing his tsunami warning system that he was to install at Port Blair. The system which was the most sensitive detection system worked nicely and Raman noted no signals of warnings. Satisfied, Raman took a nap only to be woken by his daughter reminding him that it was time to go to upper decks and watch the sunset. The sunset indeed was a spectacular sight and again lots of people had gathered to witness it and grab it in their cameras. As everyone was enjoying, there was a sudden jolt to the ship and it started rolling back and forth gently making people to lose their balance and grab the nearest supports. Captain of the ship came there and requested everyone to go downstairs. He then went looking for Raman. When he located him he asked, 'Raman, are we having a tsunami brewing?'.

Raman took the captain to his cabin and switched on the tsunami warning system which had started giving feeble signals about a possible tsunami. Raman said, 'Captain, I am not certain about these signals indicating a tsunami as my system is very sensitive. But, I am getting some warning sounds in my brain for the last few hours. There are no reports of any earthquakes anywhere in the world and these signals indicate that the disturbances which may turn into a tsunami are occurring thousands of kilometers away. But, the tsunami waves once developed travel at the speed of thousand kilometer per hour and so we will have the waves in few hours. I have a hunch that some big disturbances of sound are taking place somewhere and unless they are stopped we may have a tsunami in our hands. Where and what could be the disturbances?'.

Right at that time, Raman's daughter came there and said,' Daddy,come fast. They are showing on the television in the lounge area a special program which many people are watching'. Raman got irritated with his daughter and said, 'Koushalya, we are discussing a serious matter here. You take your mom and go and watch the TV'. Captain intervened and said,' Come on Raman, Koushalya is calling you affectionately. As you said if it is a tsunami that is brewing we can't do anything other than to inform mainland and the Andaman islands about it and we will have a few hours head start'.

So, reluctantly, Raman went with his daughter to watch the TV and immediately became alert on seeing what was being shown on the TV. They were showing big revelries with fire crackers, soldiers marching, dances and music etc. The occassion 'Handing over of Hongkong by the British to the Chinese'.

To be continued......

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  6. Monsi

Monsi Bronze IL'ite

Dear TDU Sir,
    The story is captivating. And I am wating eagerly for the next episode. Only thing is that the poor guy (Raman aka Sanakaran aka Marudhu) is reborn again and again only to face the Tsunami ! :oops:

7. Tamildownunder

Dear Monsi,

Thanks for your feedback to the story. There is a suspense coming in the last episode which will make you laugh about the poor guy Raman, I am sure.

Regards,

TDU

8. Tamildownunder

Episode 10:

On seeing Raman's reactions to the Televison display of revelries at Hong Kong, the captain who was standing behind him asked, 'Do you think this is the reason for the weak sgnals of tsunami like waves you get in your system?'.

Raman said, 'I beleive so'.

The captain then asked, 'if so, how are we going to stop it?'.

Raman said, 'as part of global tsunami warning network we have an information centre at Hong Kong. I can get their contact information. Can we contact them and ask them to stop the revelries?'.

The captain said, 'let us go the bridge and try from there'.

Raman said, 'I will go to my cabin and bring my diary where I have the contact information'.

On reaching bridge along with Raman, the captain asked his radio officer to contact
    Hong Kong with the contact details. While the officer was trying to establish contact with Hong Kong, the captain asked Raman for various options in case the contact is not available.

Raman said, 'as I remember to have seen from the TV program, they reported the sailing from the port of Hong Kong of a British warship. It was carrying British nationals and soldiers who were staying in Hong Kong. Perhaps we can contact the captain of the ship and ask him to convey the message to the Chinese head in Hong Kong to stop and save the city from being swallowed by the sea'.

The captain said, 'It seems to be a good idea as the radio contact is not forthcoming'.

After several attempts, they could establish contact withe British war ship and Raman talked to the captain and explained to him the nature and urgency of the problem. The British captain gave encouraging response when he was told by Raman that he was the professor from University of California and specializing about tsunami. Raman had to explain in detail and had to convince the British captain.

After several minutes of waiting by Raman and the captain of M.V. Nancouri, the British captain came back and told them that the Chinese in Hong Kong do not understand the problem as it was difficult to talk with them in English and also he told that the Chinese were having apprehensions about the motive of the request. He further told that the Chinese were doubting the British to come and retake Hong Kong.

The captain of M.V. Nancouri asked Raman, 'What do we do now?'. Raman thought for a while and then described his plan to the captain. On hearing the plan, the captain was shocked and said ' I am afraid of the grave consequences'.

To be concluded............

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  9. Tamildownunder

Final episode:

Raman's plan was simple. He talked with the captain of the British war ship and convinced him about his plan according to which the captain should turn the ship towards Hong Kong with the guns in the ship raised.

Initially, the captain refused to oblige Raman. He argued that this might trigger a war and he would be taken to task. But, when Raman told him that wars could be stopped, but not tsunamis, he obliged.

The result was remarkable. The chinese in Hong Kong thought that the British are coming back to take the island forcefully. So, the revelries were stopped and all the soldiers lined up with drawn guns and message was sent to despatch a Chinese war ship to the island.

Raman was continously monitoring the tidal waves through his warning system and gave a big sigh of releif when the waves subsided. Later it was learnt that the waves indeed let out their fury on an unmanned island in the Pacific ocean thus sparing Hong Kong and the Chinese coastal regions.

Quickly, the message spread around the world and in Hong Kong the Chinese realised the drama of war imposed on them was indeed to save the island and the people. So, they profusely thanked the captain of the British war ship who had lowered the guns and hoisted a white flag. The captain in turn spoke to Raman and thanked him for his presence of mind in saving the Hong Kong people from a big calamity.

The captain of M.V.Nancouri patted Raman and said, 'We will be docking at Port Blair tomarrow morning. The news of you saving Hong Kong has already reached Port Blair and tomarrow morning you will get a rousing welcome there.

Raman in a very happy mood reached his cabin to join his family where his wife and daughter gave him a hug and kiss. Right at that time the dinner gang went off. So, Raman with his family went to the dining hall.

Raman and his family were seated at a special table laid with a feast. The captain of the ship narrated to those who had assembled how the disaster to Honh Kong was averted. The captain then requested Raman to say a few words.

Raman said he has composed a poem in Tamil and English paying homage to those who had perished in earlier tsunamis. He read the poems one by one starting with the Tamil poem.

கரையில் எழுந்த பேரொலி
    பேராலியால் கிளம்பிய பேரலைகள்
    பேரலைகளால் மூழ்கிய பெருநகரங்கள்
    பெருநகரங்களுடன் மறைந்த பெருமக்கள்
    அனைவருக்கும் எமது உளமார்ந்த அஞ்சலி

Then he went on to read the english poem.

Synchronised sound waves rose so high
    sent the tidal waves rise so high
    waves took big towns so low
    Great people of the towns below
    Our homage to all!

The people at the table stood in silence as mark of their respect to those who perished in tsunamis.

The end

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  10. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Basically, all materials are slightly elastic or "springy." It might not seem like it, but steel beams, pipes, buildings, bridges, and tuning forks can all be made to vibrate in different ways. Like a stretched guitar string that makes a certain musical note, materials and structures tend to vibrate at certain natural frequencies. If you could push on a building really hard, it might vibrate back and forth at a frequency of 1 cycle per second, or Hz. That's its natural frequency. (Actually it is more complicated - the building might vibrate sideways at 1 Hz and up and down at 3 Hz.) A drinking glass might vibrate at 500 Hz if you hit it with a spoon.

There are two types of vibration: free and forced. Free vibration is when a component vibrates under the action of forces inherent in the system, specifically mass and stiffness of the material. Every system has this property and it is called natural frequency.

This natural frequency resonating with the frequencies of boot sounds of marching soldiers for example, will push the bridge to vibrate harder leading to its collapse.

Tamil, That was a good piece of information and it helped in improving my G.K though I woudn't claim I have much of it!