1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Natural ways to regulate thyroid

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Dec 6, 2009.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Hello,

In around 2002 when I was 22 years, I was having difficulty waking up even after 8, 9 hours of sleep. Went for a sleep study to see if it was sleep apnea, and results were negative. Had my thyroid checked, and it showed underactivity, hence was prescribed 0.75 mcg Synthroid. Even nowadays, I still have trouble getting up in the morning, especially if I am not used to waking up a particular time. I really don't notice any difference from the time I didn't take Synthroid to now, when I am taking Synthroid. When I asked my doctor about weaning myself off Synthroid, she got defensive and snappy and said it is a naturally occurring hormone. I am currently looking for a new doctor (there were other issues as well)

Is there a way to wean myself off Synthroid. Or, is there a natural way to avoid taking this medication? On the internet, there are claims that coconut oil may help help, but I am unfamiliar with this. Are there any natural, ayurvedic, etc remedies to regulate function of the thyroid? Nearly everyone in my family is morbidly obese and also take Synthroid (but higher doses than 0.75 mcg), except my great grand father who ended up becomming a sanyasi in early 1900s (that's another story), which has convinced me that with sensible life-style changes, one can avoid such mild medications. Below is my health profile, along with a rough sketch of my daily routine:

Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 110lbs

When I wake up, 4am

Water, 8.45 fl oz
    Synthroid Medication, 0.075 mg

Morning Exercise, 4:15am to 5:15am

30 minutes on stationary bike, medium intensity
    15 minutes of weight-bearing and stretching exercises
    Water, 8.45 fl oz

Breakfast, 5:45am to 6:30am

Cocktail Orange Juice / Concord Grape Juice, ¼ cup
    Centrum tablet
    Fish Oil capsule, 1000 mg (includes 300 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids)

Fruit salad, 5” diameter plate

Toasted slice of 100% whole wheat bread spread with teaspoon of peanut butter (made from peanuts ONLY)
    Coffee includes:
    Boiling hot 1% skim milk, 1 cup
    Instant coffee, 1 teaspoon
    Ground cocoa, ¼ teaspoon
    Ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon
    Ground mint, ¼ teaspoon
    Honey, 1 teaspoon

After breakfast, 8am

Water, 8.45 fl oz

Mid-morning, 9am

Water , 8.45 fl oz
    Fish Oil capsule, 1000 mg (includes 300 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids)

Lunch, 11:30am

Starbucks tall coffee, 12 oz (mixed with ¼ cup whole milk, three packets of brown sugar)

After Lunch, 1pm

Walnuts, ¼ cup
    Water, 8.45 fl oz
    Fish Oil capsule, 1000 mg, (includes 300 mg of Omega-3 Fatty Acids)

Early Afternoon, 3pm

Water, 8.45 fl oz

Mid Afternoon, 4:45pm

Peeled almonds, 15 pieces
    Milkshake includes:
    1% skim milk, 1 cup
    Frozen blueberries, ½ cup
    Frozen strawberries, ½ cup
    Ground cocoa, ¼ teaspoon
    Ground mint, ¼ teaspoon

Calcium 600 with D, 600mg (with Vitamin D 400 IU)

Dinner, 5:45pm

Salad, ½ of 7” diameter plate (sprinkled with one teaspoon vinegar)

Main course, ½ of 7” diameter plate
    Curried Goat Meat, 1 to 2 tablespoons
    3-4 different types of vegetable curries, one teaspoon each
    Cultured yogurt, 1 tablespoon
    Choice of wheat bread, ¼ of 7” diameter pita bread OR
    Basmati rice, two teaspoons, OR vegetable basmati briyani, two teaspoons

Dessert, 6:30pm

Cocoa includes:
    Boiling hot 1% skim milk, One cup
    Ground cocoa, 1 teaspoon
    Ground mint, ¼ teaspoon
    Honey, 1 teaspoon

Sleep, 7:45pm

2. ananthy

ananthy Senior IL'ite

[justify]dear zipzipzoomzoom

what the hell are you eating ? i am shocked to see your diet.

there is too much caffeine in your diet in the form of coffee, cocoa etc.

i cant see a normal portion of whole grains like cereals and pulses in your lunch and dinner (Lunch, 11:30am - Starbucks tall coffee, 12 oz (mixed with ¼ cup whole milk, three packets of brown sugar)
    Dinner -
    Choice of wheat bread, ¼ of 7” diameter pita bread OR
    Basmati rice, two teaspoons, OR vegetable basmati briyani, two teaspoons).

too many vitamins and minerals tablets in your diet.

in no way does it appear to be a balanced diet. no wonder you have thyroid problem. i am sure you are anemic also. can you please check your hemoglobin count. it must be very low. that is why you are not able to get up early.

i also want to know whether you are Indian or not. because i don't know about the western diet or way of eating and your diet does not look like an Indian diet.

also can you please tell your weight in Kilograms/kg. since i did not understand. are you overweight or underweight ?

please reply at the earliest. thanks [/justify]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. zipzipzoomzoom

Namaste,

I really appreciate your concern, it seems my post alarmed you quite a bit, so I wil clarify certain things:

My family is from India (also Chennai), and I came to the United States when I was 0 days old :)

I'm not anemic, but some mornings I find it harder to get up than others after 8 to 8-1/2 hours of sleep, especially if I have to wake up early. However if I sleep 9 to 9-1/2 hours as I do on the weekend, I feel refreshed.

I'm 5'5", 110bls, roughly 50 kg.

This Wednesday I have a doctors appointment and will request blood work to check the Thyroid, iron, among others. The following is a list of blood test (with explanations) that I will be requesting. Please suggest if anything to be added.

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <title></title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.0 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace] blood test is used to check for thyroid gland problems.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Hemoglobin A1c Test (the HbA1c or Glycated Hemoglobin Test)[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace] gives a long-range blood sugar picture, showing how well blood glucose has been controlled over a period of up to 3 months.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Serum Ferritin Levels[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace] (check [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]for even moderate level of iron deficiency)[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Homocysteine[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace] (Amino acid that increases risk of vascular disease and amplifies bad effects of other risk factors. High risk result > 10mg/dl.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Lipoprotein (a)[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace] (Independent risk factor for plaque build-up. High risk result > 30 mg/dl.). A cholesterol chunk wrapped in a protein coat. Several studies, including one at Oxford University in England, have established an association between a high LP(a) level and an elevated heart disease risk.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Apolipoprotein A-1 (apo A-1) and apolipoprotein B (apo B).[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace] These two substances speed through the bloodstream carrying chunks of cholesterol. Apo A-1 rounds up potentially heart-harming fats and delivers them to the liver, while apo B carries cholesterol to artery walls and leaves it behind. The riskiest situation is having a low level of apo A-1 and a high level of apo B.[/FONT]

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <title></title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.0 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> [FONT=Courier New, monospace]High Sensitivity C - reactive protein (hs-CRP)[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace] ([/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace]High levels of C-reactive protein raises risk for heart disease, even if cholesterol levels are normal. This blood test determines this risk; result should be < 1.0mg/dl.[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace])[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace]Fasting Lipid Profile (Measures Total cholesterol, LDL "bad" cholesterol, HDL "good" cholesterol, and Triglycerides)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New, monospace][FONT=Courier New, monospace]Folic Acid and Vitamin B-12[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, monospace] (These two tests can be done at the same time because lack of either vitamin may cause anemia)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Calcium levels (Checks the calcium level in the body that is not stored in the bones.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Mercury levels (We plan to eat a lot of salmon, catfish, shrimp, which may contain harmful levels of mercury)[/FONT]

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I think that you don't have energy because you are not eating properly as to amounts, variety etc. For 5'5" you are underweight and I don't think you have a proper relationship or knowledge of your food. When you go to the doctor, please have him/her send you to a nutritionist who can work with you on what to eat so you are healthy and energetic.

5. ananthy

ananthy Senior IL'ite

[justify]
    Dear Zipzipzoomzoom,

sorry for the late reply.

yes for 5 feet 5, 50 kgs is underweight. this may be because of your diet.

Thyroid issue
    it is not advisable to stop the thyroid medicine without your doctor's consent. if you have issues with the present doctor then you can consult any other good doctor. but whatever you do please do it with proper consultation and consent.

as far as the natural ways of regulating thyroid is concerned, yoga is beneficial in relieving the stress that causes this problem. regular practice of breathing exercises (pranayam) and meditation is a must.

for ladies, the following yoga postures are very useful in regulating menses and improving digestion. before starting kindly consult a yoga instructor.

pavanmukta asan (wind releasing pose)
    bhujang asan (cobra pose)
    trikon asan (triangle pose)
    bal asan (baby pose)
    Vajrasan (thunderbolt position)

Diet
    iron and calcium rich diet is a must.

I am suggesting the following Indian diet since i don't know about western diet. kindly get it verified by any nutritionist who has knowledge about Indian diet.

Breakfast:

bread/frenchtoast (or) idli/dosai/pongal/puri/oats
    4 dates (seedless or remove seeds)
    1 glass milk (with or without almonds as per your wish)

Midday
    1 cup coffee/tea ( not 1 glass)

Lunch
    1.5 cup rice (or more as per your appetite)
    1 cup lentils (sambhar/daal/kozhambu/)
    any vegetables/keerai/koot'u
    appalam/paapad - fried or roasted
    1 cup curd/buttermilk

Afternoon snack
    any fruit or snacks or sundal
    s1 cup coffee/tea (again not glassfull)

Dinner
    3 to 4 chapathis/dosai (or) 1.5 cup rice
    sambhar/daal/vegetable curry/vegetable kurma

Dessert
    1 glass/cup milk - for a good night's sleep

Weekly
    1. atleast 2 pomegranates (big or apple size)
    2. atleast 4 servings of green leafy vegetables/ keerai (during daytime only)
    3. drumstick sambhar or drumstick leaves/keerai/soup - atleast weekly once
    4. any non-veg items like chicken, eggs etc as per your wish
    5. fruits and dried fruits - all variety

I hope that the above diet helps you to avoid weakness.

Sleep and Rest
    take proper rest and sleep well. this is the best way to relax. avoid too much TV/Computer/loud music.

take care ...

[/justify]

6. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Dear zipzipzoomzoom,
    I too have a thyroid condition (hypo- underactive). I "used" to take levoxyl for it but didn't not seem to make any difference. I tried many things but after about 5 years I stopped taking it. I did change my diet and joined the gym and workout 5 days a week 30mins/day. My energy level is up. I sleep well. What I experienced was that there were side effects to the pill. I was always feeling drained or lathargic. I also started doing yoga before I joined the gym. The stress level was reduced once I took yoga classes. A lot of balance in the energy!!
    Thanks,
    Oopall!

7. zipzipzoomzoom

Hope you are having a Merry Chistmas and Happy Holidays!

I will make yoga a top priority as I always have always been tense and anxious when faced with difficult situations for as long as I can remember.

SInce my first post, I have increased the number of times I do 1/2-hour bike to twice a day, once in the morning, and again after I come home from work. Also, I am eating slightly more carbs during the day, and at dinner, as I always felt hungry afterwards.

The doctor I went to on Wednesday was a doctor my dad goes to (given certain time-constraints on my end) and even though he prescribed the Synthroid and the blood tests, he hinted that I should go to a female doctor (he probably sensed that I was too tense and anxious - anyway, I will discuss this in another post shortly)

I'll work on your advise and find a doctor/nutritionist to work with decrease my dependency on medications such as Synthroid.

8. milleryawn

milleryawn New IL'ite

I also want to know whether you are Indian or not. because i don't know about the western diet or way of eating and your diet does not look like an Indian diet. I also can you please tell your weight in Kilograms/kg. since i did not understand. are you overweight or underweight ?

9. log2loga

log2loga Bronze IL'ite

I want to know the good medication to cure thyroid completely ... my age is 28 weight 54 height 4'9 ft ... am under homeopathy medication... all the other symptoms am feeling good but still my thyroid level not decreasing...
    is that any natural way to cure it completely?

10. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

hyperthyroid- avoid cabbage, avoid salt contains iodine
    hypothyroid- eat more cabbage, include salt contains iodine

1 person likes this.