1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Natural treatment for head lice

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by tashidelek2002, Feb 10, 2012.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The other day at work my coworkers were talking about head lice (work at a school system so this comes up every so often) and they were saying that a home natural treatment for head lice is to apply mayonnaise to the head. Apparently the mayonnaise suffocates the lice and it has the added benefit of being a hair conditioner. Just thought to pass on this one in case it is helpful.

2 people like this.

2. JananiSubbu

JananiSubbu Silver IL'ite

hi...
    good tip...what is mayonnaise??

3. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

4. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I have never heard of this remedy before, but sounds effective.

When as a child, my cousins and me used to have a terrible time....but the most effective remedy that has worked for us best is washing your hair with LIFEBUOY soap ( the original red colour one)

5. tashidelek2002

@JananiSubbu: Hema has given a good link for explaining mayonnaise. You can make it at home if you cannot get the jarred version....helpful for making salads and sandwiches.

@Hemalatha:BowGlad to keep you guessing! In my grandmother's time here the home remedy for lice was to use turpentine.....I think that mayo is a far better alternative!

6. tashidelek2002

rkgurbani: Mayo used to be used in the days before we hvae all the conditioners now as a hair conditioner. So you can kill two birds with one stone. Well, I am glad that red Lifebuoy has a good use....too bad they can't find some way to make it easier to clean off the bathroom floor and walls!

7. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Yes so very true. I had heard abour mayo as a conditioner but never as a remedy for lice.
    And also, the red Lifebuoy...ugh! we hated the smell specially after the third or fourth use, but the new lifebuoys are much better these days. Have not touched a Lifebuoy soap since those old days, but die-hard users swear by it!!!

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Good day...

1 person likes this.
  8. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

Camphor (kapoor) powder mixed in coconut oil works wonders. Just apply it overnight and wash it off in morning. Using it 3-4 times cleans all lices and their eggs too.

1 person likes this.
  9. manmathi

manmathi Silver IL'ite

I always wash my hair once a week with One whole egg and olive oil mixture for conditioning my hair. But I never knew that egg and oil mixture is called as mayonnaise nor that it is helpful to remove lice. Thanks for the post.

10. nigu

nigu Silver IL'ite

comb your hair with marachepu - the comb with very close theeth . Daily and daily for 3 -6 Months to remove the lice and also the eggs .

After 6 Months there will be nothing in hair .
    I use to suffer from this problem as I used to live in hostel most part of my school and college life.

This is the only method helpfull for me as the other naltural method might remove the lice but there will be new ones from the eggs .