National Park near Delhi

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Delhi' started by JayaRawat, Feb 8, 2010.

1. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

Have any of you ever visited the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Keoladeo</st1:placeName><st1:placeName>Ghana</st1:placeName><st1:placeType>National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>?

It is located at a distance of only 176 kilometers from the hustle and bustle of the city of <st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. It is a green paradise, where some of the rarest and most exotic variety of birds can be found. I, once had the chance to visit this wonderful place, with my friends. The proximity, of this place to the city of <st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>, makes it a convenient getaway.

This is a wetland covering an area of approximately 28.73 sq km. We were fortunate to see the Siberian Crane, the rarest of migratory birds, here.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010

2. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

I visited the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Ranthambore</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> with my parents, during one of my school vacations. I remember this trip as one of the most adventurous experiences I have ever had. My father reckoned this national park as the one of the finest ecological destinations that can be visited from <st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. It is situated at a distance of 145 kilometers from Jaipur.

The jungle of Ranthambore offers the opportunity to explore the diverse wildlife that <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> is privileged to possess. The national park is home to some of the most fearsome predators of <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

We were fortunate to see tigers, panthers, wild cats, jackals, hyenas and marsh crocs.

3. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

Anandi, I have also heard about the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Ranthambore</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>. But I never had the chance to visit it. I would like to hear from you about your experience, indetails.

The <st1:place><st1:placeName>Keoladeo</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Ghana</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>, I learned, was once famous for fowl shooting. Now, this place is a sanctuary for innumerable species of birds. During sunrise and sunset, the place fiils up with a lovely cacophony of birds.

This national park is popularly known as the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary. More than three hundred species of birds are found here. We saw kingfisher, herons and saras. The park also has animals like mongoose, hyena, sambar and python.

4. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

I remember my visit to the Sariska Wildlife sanctuary. Here are a few lines about the visit.
    The Sariska Wildlife Sanctuary in Rajasthan was actually the hunting ground of the former princely state of Alwar. Sariska is spread over 800 sq kms. It became a National Sanctuary in 1958.
    Besides the tiger, the natural park is home to deer, wild dogs, peafowl, woodpeckers, quails, owls, partridges and raptors.
    While the sanctuary can be visited year-round, the best time to visit Sariska is between November and June.
    To reach Sariska, we got down at Alwar which is at a distance of 35kms from Sariska. You can also get down at the state capital of Jaipur. Sariska is about 120 kms from Jaipur.

5. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

I have heard about the Sariska Wildlife Sanctuary. I would like to visit it some time.

The lakes, in and round the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Ranthambore</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>National Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>, gave us an opportunity to see a large number of birds of many exotic species.

Ranthambore is a strictly protected area. No hunting expedition is allowed in the forest. Animal lovers would be thrilled to see exotic wild animals roaming in the forest with an air of majestic freedom. The taste of wild in Ranthambore is wonderful. Ranthambore is the last stronghold of a dwindling number of tigers and with proper effort we can salvage this rare but magnificent species of animals.

6. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I have been to the Keoladeo Ghana National Park, a few months back. I was so happy to read Jaya’s post here!!

This sanctuary is easily accessible from Delhi, by road. The nearest railway station and town is that of Bharatpur, which is it a distance of only 2 kms from the sanctuary. If you wish to avail air transport, the nearest airport is at Agra, which is a mere 50 kms away.
    We were told that one can visit this sanctuary, any time in the year.

I felt that the beauty of the forest was hidden in the multicolored feathers of its inhabitants.