1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Natarajan Weds Sivakama Sundari

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jananirbk, May 7, 2010.

1. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I believe in coincidences!! I feel it is so true that marriages are made in heaven. "Innarku innar endru ezuthi vaithane devan andru" words are so true in my life!!

In year 2002, I was in my last year of college. My cousin sister had a marriage proposal. She was in Trichy and since the alliance was from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Coimbatore</st1:place></st1:City>, the official bride-seeing ceremony was arranged in our house!! I got a lot of instructions from her grandmother and great grandmother that I should not walk to and forth, should not laugh, etc., and they are particular that I wear a simple cotton chudi on that day!! I got frustrated and decided to keep me as much distance as possible from the bridegroom's family.

That day came! All were in their beautiful silk sarees and I was in one of my old cotton chudi. I did not even bother to wash my face. The guy's family came and both sides were having formal talk. I accompanied my cousin in the bedroom, chatting with her. There entered a tall handsome guy who introduced himself, "Hi!! I am Natarajan, younger brother of bridegroom!!". While my cousin was chatting with him, I kept myself busy going through the telephone directory available over there :hide:!!

Fast forward, her marriage was fixed in June 2002. My exams were over by then and me and my brother went to Trichy one month before itself to help out in the marriage arrangements!!, Actually My cousin sister's family is a big one and there are about 10 to 15 gals and boys of my age, and I always enjoyed being with them from my childhood. I enjoyed every bit of those days!!

Marriage day was nearing and we went two days before to the mandapam, and we all reserved a separate A/C room for us to play cards :hide:!! Some one started pulling my legs that Natarajan has an eye on me and he is a perfect match for me, etc, etc., and then the topic was me and Natarajan only for them the whole marriage. I told them I want to do my PG and want to settle in my career first. They did not listen to me, so I started to ignore the topic.

The bridegroom family came and we were all to welcome them!! My future BIL called me when I was running here and there, and just inquired about my studies, future plans, etc, and suddenly he asked me, "Why won't you marry my brother?" I blushed. I could not be rude and I am afraid to say a firm "No" worrying about the repercussions. I just told him "I want to do PG and we will see, let the parents decide, etc!!" He told "'Already my parents are speaking about this only. Your parents also knew this!! If you like him, then we will proceed!!" I just told "We will see Athimber!!" and rushed out from the place, and even if his parents spoke casually with me, I was nervous and I stayed away from them!!!

I returned home after their marriage. I accompanied my friend for an interview, and I got selected for the job, and decided to join the job in stead of doing PG, but again, the office was near my cousin sister's in-laws family, so I had to go to their house frequently at the request of my cousin's parents!. I was relieved to know that Nat (Natarajan) was working in Chennai. When ever my cousin sister calls me to visit her in Chennai, I was afraid to visit and told her once,"You send Nat out of your home, I will come then!!" She asked me mockingly "Why are you afraid of him?" I did not answer!!

Three years went by and we went to Kumbakonam for another cousin sister's marriage, who is younger to me. All elders started asking about my marriage and suggested my parents to go to "Thirumanancheri temple" to pray for me, which is near to that mandapam. When my parents pursued, I told them, "What is this ma? As though am 35 years old and you have seen so many alliances and every one rejected me, you want me to take to temple and all eh?"

My mom told that temple is not only famous to speed up delayed marriage, but it is a must visit ancient temple. So, I went with them. One Patti came with us, I kept myself busy questioning her about the deities there. She told that the name of the shrines were Kokilambal and Kalyana Sundareswar.

There was Natarajar Shrine and I asked her "What is his wife name, patti?" My dad replied "Janani, do not you know that Shiva's wife Name is Parvathi!!" " No pa, that is general name, Is there any specific name?" I asked!!

She told, "It is Siva <st1:place w:st="on">kama</st1:place> Sundari, your name only dear!!" I could not help but to think of "me and our Favorite Nat!!" Of course, most of my friends and relatives knew that my other name is Siva Kama Sundari and used to make fun of it, but I never knew the match of my name with Natarajan by that time!!

And then it happened!! As we were going around the pragaram, I got a call from a new number!! I attended and to my surprise, it was from Nats!! He just said "I just called you to know about LASIK treatment for eyes!! Manni told that you had LASIK"

I told him about it, and he continued "I called you not only for that, I want to speak with you !!"

I am numb!! All my relatives are waiting for me to go out of the temple!! And there am attending a call of "marriage proposal!!" Of course, I knew for sure what it is about!! I some how managed to continue the call.

Me: Tell Me.
    Nat: I want to marry you!!
    Me: Hmm
    Nat: What hmm? Yes or No!!
    Me: Hmm
    Nat: Are you sure??
    Me: I won't eat back my words!! You call me in the evening!! Right now I am busy.

I ended the call and turned to my parents!! My parents inquired, "Whom you were talking to this much time?"
    Me: Natarajan ma…
    Mom: Which Natarajan?
    Me: Abi's brother-in-law !
    Mom: How he knew your number? Are you in contact with him?
    Me: No ma, He got my number from Abi!!
    Mom: Okay, for what?
    Me: He wants to know about LASIK
    Mom: Oh, Okay
    Me: But then he told…..
    Mom: told??
    Me: That.. that he want to marry me..

My brother: Ahha!! I never knew that thirumanancheri is this much powerful!!!
    Mom: So what you told?
    Me: I told I will consult with my parents :rotfl:rotfl

And the rest is history!!! And we have one lovely daughter Varsha!!! (so far :))

My DH makes fun of me today also that "I never knew you are so naive! As though, you were waiting for my call for years, You told "yes" within a fraction of a second!!"

But friends, I felt it was God's wish when I got the call at the temple and I had no second thought !!! And am happy for my decision!!

So do you believe in coincidences?

Love
    Janani Natarajan

1 person likes this.

2. DDC

DDC Silver IL'ite

Sivagama Sundari,
    Made him wait for 3 yrs unnecessairly!! 'Love'ly arranged marriage-perfect choice.

-DDC

3. goldc

goldc Senior IL'ite

HI janani

COOL .........to know about your life story ,indeed interesting , felt i have been to a short movie.Absolutely you are right ,fate takes over whatever is destined is supposed to happen is proved very much for you.
    Nice that you have settled well by the Almighty's grace.
    Good wishes to you.

:cheers

4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hey janani

really it was a wonderful reel sorryr real life incidents. very well written.

Vow your Natarajan waited for your for 3 years, that is so romantic.

Yeah i surely believe that god has already decided each partner for everyone and that is always correct.

enjoyed very much dear.

5. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi,

The moment I read your name on my monitor, the song
    Sivakaami aada vandhaal Natarajan Enna seiyaan
    Nadamaadi paarkkattumey Endhan udan aadi paarkkattumey ......
    song started ringing in my ears and i was humming that for quite some time.

What an interesting incident leading to your marriage. I could visualise the tall guy entering your cousin's room and chatting. God decides the partners and the event finalises at the hands of both parents. The first nod from you at the temple famous in blessing marriages was marvellous. Varsha too would be happy to hear this when she grows up.

Wish you all the best in life dear!

6. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

THREE YEARS !!!!! Wow ! ! Real Life story more wonderful than reel story I'd say ! Marriages are surely fixed in heaven, even when dates are kept pending !
    Very interesting narration. Enjoyed reading, dear Janani.

7. kokila19

kokila19 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Janani,
    You made ur DH to wait for 3 years.. wonderful real story..
    Very happy while reading..

Keep posting...

8. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear DDC:

First of all, lot of thanks for reading the lengthy post and the first FB! It extended more than intended :)!! I had a doubt that lengthy posts will decrease the interest to read!! You all proved me wrong! Thank you so much for your wishes.

Regards,
    Janani Natarajan

9. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Goldc:

I am so glad that you like the post and thanks for your wishes!!! "whatever is destined is supposed to happen," well said Golc. I do agree. Thanks for your valuable time and FB.

Regards,
    Janani Natarajan

10. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Radsahana!

I am so happy that you like it too!! And I missed in my post.. He was only 23 at my cousin sister marriage and I was 20!!! He was just busy with his career then!! My in-laws also were waiting for him to complete his CA to start the marriage talk, but one day he got frustrated with his studies, and by calling me, he suggested to his parents that itz high time they think about his marriage!! :rotflThanks for your precious time and FB!!

Regards,
    Janani Natarajan