Narayaneeyam

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sarojaravi, Jan 14, 2008.

1. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Dear Smt Raji

You have not specified your location in Chennai. I reside in Kelambakkam & we have a small group here who assemble every weekend & conduct Sahasranama parayanam etc - including some dasakams from Narayaneeyam. Alternatively I suggest you check at the Ayyappan Guruvayurappan temple at Nungambakkam. They might be able to guide you.

Regards
    Hari

2. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Dear Guruvayurappan Bhaktas

Narayaneeyam & Srimad Bhaagavatham are inter related. This assertion might surprise some; as the Bhagavatham is a one-of-a kind work. It is said that Bhagavatham and Bhagavaan Krishna are one and the same and those who are blessed to delve deep into the bliss constituting Srimad Bhagavatham will instantly agree. Indeed - in my view; if one has Srimad Bhagavatham and Vishnu Sahasranamam - One doesnt require anything else for spiritual progress.

2 people like this.
  3. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Of the two Srimad Bhagavatham was the backbone of the Bhakti movement that characterised Hindu religious faith in past 1000 years. Even while facing the worst crises in history we had many spiritual giants like Ramanuja Madhwa Chaithanya Andaal etc drawing inspiration from Srimad Bhagavatham. There are passages in the Dasama Skandham (Tenth Canto) that could melt even the most hardened heart & make it tender. The Ekadasa Skandham is the reservoir of the highest spiritual flights ever reached in India - barring the Upanishads.

4. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

As for Vishnu Sahasranamam it is endorsed by Bhagavatham in many places and notably the very last slokam of Bhagavatham insists

Namasankeethanam yasya
    sarvapaapapranashanam
    Pranaamo Dukhasamanam
    Tam Namaami Harim Param

(The recital of whose divine names destroys ALL sins; the prostrations to whom eliminates ALL sorrows; That Hari the Supreme One; I worship)

2 people like this.
  5. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Without regular Vishnu upasana through the Vishnu Sahasranamam it is difficult to attain the mental purity & clarity necessary for properly understanding & appreciating Srimad Bhagavatham. Without such mental purity a mere recital might not be benefitful. To this day every Bhagavatha Sapthaham in all parts of India invariably start daily with the recital of Vishnu Sahasranamam.

6. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

Even then Bhagavatham is so vast and each slokam when studied reveals multiple layers of truth. It is easy for a beginner to get dazed & discouraged from progressing with the recital. Also the language used is a complex form of Samskrit (itself an unfamiliar language to many) unlike the simple form found in Mahabharatam etc. To such beginners Narayaneeyam offers a peep into the contents of the Bhagavatham. To the same beginners͵ once they have gained some experience with Bhagavatham͵ Narayaneeyam can serve as an index to the contents of the Bhagavatham. And as they gain more and more experience with Srimad Bhagavatham͵ Narayaneeyam turns into a profound guide to the secrets underlying the Bhagavatham. At least; such has been my experience.It cant be otherwise - isnt Narayaneeyam the work of a past master of Bhagavatham whom lord Krishna blessed with a vision of Himself?

1 person likes this.
  7. harih

harih Silver IL'ite

On the other hand many episodes touched upon in the Narayaneeyam could not be grasped unless one is familiar with the details given in the Srimad Bhagavatham. In some instances the author has applied his manodharmam & has come up with his theorizations. These are best appreciated when one is well grounded on the way these topics are dealt with in the Bhagavatham.

Hence in my view our studies of Narayaneeyam & Srimad Bhagavatham has to go side by side. They complement each other.

I just thought of jotting my thoughts as a serious student of these texts. I hope I havent ended up confusing anyone here :)

8. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Harih,

Thank you very much for giving the Bhagavatham details.

I reside at Adambakkam in Chennai. Kelambakkam is not too far, but should know the exact place, time and location to join.

It is very happy to note the details shared by you on Vishnu Sahasranamam, Narayaneeyam and Bhagavatham. Thanks a lot for sharing the information.

9. shvain34

shvain34 Silver IL'ite

dear Harih sir.

thank you for passing on your knowledge on Srimad Narayaneeyam,Vishnu Sahasranamam and Srimad bhagavadham.

i wholeheartedly agree on your point that Vishnu sahasranamam is a way to attain mental purity.

that the bhagavadham is vast and Narayaneeyam can serve as an index if one is familiar with Bhagavadham.

with highest regards sir.
    shvain

10. gusha

gusha New IL'ite

Dear hari, Can I do 2 dasakams a day since I am working and have little time to devote and lot of desire to learn it?
    Regards. Usha