1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Namesake

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Namesake

Names have undergone a sea change.What was simple then, is a toungue twister now.Lets see my family’s case.

I was born as Keemat, then changed to Kamal(I was teased a lot, bcs girls were named Kamal then.Its another matter I became famous when Rajesh Khanna was Kamal in the movie “Aap ki Kasam “).My brother Prakash was “ Pitambar at birth.

Now I talk well before I was born .Some Sindhi ladies, who never used to get children for many years, used to go to temple and pray, that Lord ( Shive/Krisha/Rama/)that if I get a son, I will donate His weight of Mirchi to you.And lo ! after 15 years of childless marriage a Hero is born.Then they name him “Mirchumal”.If grams were promised he becomes “ Bhugormal, Onions to “ Basarmal (Basar is onions in Sindhi),some ladies whose children never used to survive long after birth, used to have the child;s nose pierced and he was called “ Nathumal”.Well well.

Khuswant Singh had once written an article long ago, about the funny names he found in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> and abroad.He found a “ Dr. Chootiya” in <st1:place>Goa</st1:place>, where he says it is a common surname.Norway has Surnames like “ Bentkork”,<st1:country-region><st1:place>Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region> has surnames like Carpenter,and Schneider (meaning knife).

These days in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> when a child is born there is chaos.first we don’t know if it is a male or female before birth, so books are bought with all the possible names, some even starting with X and Y.A friend of mine Uttam and his Wife Monisha, had their daughter named “UTTASHA”.Some from Dad and some from Mom.

Some sensible combos

Vijay and Radhika become – <st1:place>RAVI</st1:place>

Prakash and Shanti - prashant

Imagine the combo of Moorthy and Rakhee, the child will be Moorakh( Foolish)
    Kamal and Lara becomes KALA (Black)
    Suresh and Suraiya becomes SU SU (Urine)
    Mandinder and Kiran – Ma Ki (the word used by Harbajan rccently)
    Keshav and Lata – KELA (Banana)
    Bharat and Lucifer – BHALU (Bear)
    Chander and Lucifer – CHALU
    Tarun and Tina – TATI ( ****)
    Tarun and Tanisha – TATA
    Banke and Tammana- BATA

What else can u all think of.Going by the names, u canmake out that this is a new generation fellow.I feel sorry for the teachers, who have to remember these crazy names, by the hundreds.

Last but not the least.

Lallo and Rabri Devi turn to = LARA.

Now that’s a decent name eh ! Sweet dreams, and if I come to know the names of yr kids, besure I will pull yr legs in the blogs.So don’t ever tell me.

Spakesphere was it who said " A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet .But im sure if the kid's name is TATI (****) ,he would still smell nice, so Shakesphere is right in every which way.Any body want to try out the names i have suggested for yr kids.Let me know. no Royalty charged for the bloggers.Ciao.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello kamalji

had a good laugh at your combo of words....
    you sure do have a good list ...
    esp small names..
    which can be used as nick names....

sathya

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

I came hurrying thinking it was the review of the novel by jhumpa in your style. But what do i see, the names...and my god..I had a great laugh...Big LaughBig Laugh-

just because rose is a rose by any other name i cannot call some of the name.....

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

kamalji,
    you are a riot and i am happy u r here to make all of us laugh u dont know the south indian names so spared all here, they call lakshmi to a lakshminaryan, and meena to meenakshisundaram, vijay will be viji, rajgopal will be raji, now we have so many sri in the forum itself one has to think when addressing them most will land up thinking which sri is she mentioning the cheeniya or sriniketan and so on...good laugh u brought on..sunkanBig Laugh

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Satya,

HAHA.Well many names are funny.REgards.kamal

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Shanti,

I will send u a bill for making u laugh Big LaughThanks for yr kind words.Regards.kamal
    Waiting for Veda's comments.

The Combo of Shanti and Veda

That makes it Vedant.Cute name isnt it ?

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Kamalji,
    I had a Big LaughBig LaughBig Laugh.Especially you combo of words to form funny names..It was too hillarious.Now a days its very common to pick words from dad n mom's name to name the kid..

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sunkan,

You are very modest.You brought me here by the ear, and i must say i am enjoying my stay here among all u pretty ladies here.I feel like a Krishna !

So if a laughing sickness spreads here, u are responsible.Big LaughThe Southie names i am not familiar, hence i spared u all.

So if a Srinath Girish married Devika, the daughter would be Sridevi ??

Come on, join in the fun all of u, and come up with great combos, of which i am not aware of.

Thanks and regards.kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Aishu,

Well names are so funny these days.Just ask yr son/daughter the names of their friends in school and u will know wht i am talking of.Thanks for laughing.i like it.Regards.kamal

10. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

once again, you've done it sir.
    causing a laughter and all this mixing and matching of names....
    indeed many of the combinations at hilarious. but pity the child who is christened. he/she could be traumatised for life.
    i know it because i had my fair share of teasing when i was in school. but thankfully it lasted only a couple of years...
    but after the humilating nickname phase...now when i look back...i actually have accumulated a number of nicknames from my friends while in highschool(not the terrible ones...some are just plain funny)
    and the same goes for my friends.

in my class:-
    i was nominated as loosu^5
    friend 1 was nominated as loosu^infinity
    friend 2 the quietest of all - president of the loosu's

and this is the best....
    friend 3 was nominated as yaanai-pandi (the variation of nyaanapandithan)Big LaughBig LaughBig Laugh

translations:
    '^' - "to the power of"
    loosu - mental or crazy
    yaanai - elephant
    pandi - pig
    and the actual nyaanapandithan means a holy person/a learned saint....

and of course, these are just a few samples...there's actually a huge "database" of nicknames amongst us friends....

cheers
    maya