named after the hubby's parents

Discussion in 'Baby Names & Birth Announcements' started by Huma, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi friends

in india.... when a woman had a baby if it is a boy..he will named after her husband's father or she had a girl after her husband's mother....and the name of the wife's parents are given to the following children.....

did u name ur children like this? or on your own?

bye

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI Huma,
    I think it depends on the individuals...
    I never did like that..
    I wanted something new names for my kids.

~Punitha

3. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Huma,
    I have observed here( in US) that the middlenames are after the parents and the first names are given according to whatever the latest trend is ex. Lasya P. C (P is for Parvati C for last name). This is a adoptation to the modern times. It is another thing that Lasya might become leslie to her friends (preferable to Parvati becoming pattie). I thank god that my daughter preferred to stick to her given name both in and out of home. (eventhough it is hard to come to terms with the way her friends pronounce it)

My son's middle name is after my dad. I support the tradition of naming kids after the ancestors. In this short memory world it would be nice if you could trace your ancestor's back to at least 2 generations. I would not be surprised if a lot of kids do not know their grandparents names. One should not only make the parents\in-laws names as part of the kids name but also let the kid know that they are named after them. Venkata Narasimha becomes Venkat in one generation and Venky in another generation but both the Venkat's and Venky's should know that they are named after a grand father named Venkata Narasimha.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
    1 person likes this.