Myth/Reality?? Men & Women- Equal footage in Marriage!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by riya123, May 13, 2010.

1. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Re: Were you sold to your DH and his family or not????

I don't really get how this is so hard to understand, but I will explain again..... briefly....

In the beginning of time, all were equal. Men and women both hunted and gathered. But eventually, homes became stationary and women took care of the home and children, while men had more interaction with the outside world. So naturally, when it came to business and political establishment, they were the ones available to fill the positions and build up the world. As such, it became a male dominated world.

It's not that women didn't have the BRAINS to develop all these things, it's that they didn't have all the opportunities like men did.

Men had the power, men made the rules. Why was sati not abolished or stopped by a woman? Because just like it often takes power and influence to create rules and customs, it takes power to break them. I'm sure many women were against it. But it takes more than just being against something to stop it. You've got to have the resources to educate people, and punish them too if they break the new law. Women in early societies would have a hard time doing either of those things due to lack of resources. However, once women get access to the resources necessary to create change, they do. Such as women voting in America, and women all over the world demanding a right to higher education. You also see women in more progressive societies now trying to help women excel in traditional societies by giving them the tools to improve their lives.

You are basically saying that women are dumber then men because they have not been directly responsible for all of the world's marvels, or because they do not reach as high career positions. That would be like saying, Indians are a dumber race because India does not have such high tech infrastructure as Americans or the Brits. We all know that's not true. Every race, every sex, has inherent abilities. But a lot of whether they get to use those abilities has to do with the world they are born into, the resources they have available, etc. For example, let's say that I'm smart, and right now I'm getting my MBA, CPA etc. But had I been born to a poor family in a rural village in India, chances are I might not be getting my MBA right now. So you can see how even the same person, but in different circumstances, will not be able to accomplish the same things. Or at least not with the same level of ease. Same thing with the women who came before us. Had they all been placed in government, or in universities, or been allowed to work in the outside world, some real geniuses would have emerged. But because these women used their talents to build the world's next generations, history never talks about them!

And please keep in mind, behind every successful man, there has been a mom who raised him, and a wife who supports him. Without women, these men would not be able to accomplish half of what they do.

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I would, but you see, my lord and master is encouraging me to further my education and career.... so my baby making responsibilities will just have to wait! Hopefully my brain will not turn to mush before I finish this exam, else I'll really look the fool. I wonder if my husband would let me borrow some of his magical man powers when I go to take the test? :rotfl

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Wow, Riya !!

Hmm, I really really want to write a reply to you. I will later... But just want to reply this asap.

WOW...

What's your explanation for Rape? Victim lets herself get raped by the criminal?

4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Firstly, let's start on the right foot. I apologize for my rudeness. You have your beliefs and even though I strongly disagree with them, I had no excuse for being rude.

Where did your premise about men and women's mental capacities being different come from? Could you please cite a peer-reviewed source? If not then it is simply an ASSUMPTION and a wrong one with no basis. Please don't cite anecdotal evidence as support for your assumption. It has no place in a scientific argument.

Male dominance is NOT equal to male superiority. It only implies that men have had the upper hand in certain spheres for A reason. But you cannot conclude that, that reason is female inferiority. You ask what stopped women from building industry. Well, a lack of education and opportunity. You will ask why did they lack education and opportunity. My answer is OUR INABILITY TO CONTROL CONCEPTION. The single biggest leap in female empowerment has been the BIRTH CONTROL PILL. It has been around for about 50 years and see what a difference it has made!

Women are no longer at the mercy of their menstrual cycles. A woman who cannot control the timing of her pregnancy is obviously not going to be productive in a business or academic setting. NOT because she is inferior but because she is PHYSICALLY engaged in doing something MUCH more strenuous and demanding. She needs protection and care so she is at the mercy of those who don't have her problem, i.e., MEN. This should explain why women had to defer to men for many centuries. But give her the power to control conception and she becomes capable of achieving just about anything. We have had control of our bodies for just 50 years and we are everywhere. Give it another 50 and I assure you it will be a woman's world!

Our bodies are capable of converting a microscopic cell into a living breathing human being! The greatest scientists in the world, ALL MEN if that makes you happy, have been unable to recreate life from inorganic matter in their hi-tech labs. We can actually do what is only credited to God, i.e., MAKE LIFE, everything else pales in comparison.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Classy.

Let's hope we have more of this moving forward, so we can enjoy this discussion on the basis of its intellectual and philosophical merits, rather than being turned off because of antagonistic and aggressive attitudes.

Carry on!

6. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

I have to interject something here, maybe slightly off topic to the OPs initial premise but more relevant to the direction this thread has taken. All the scientific arguments presented lose its charm and validity if one were to assume God created Life and the Universe. No science book on earth invokes God or cites God as a reason or catalyst for any scientific theory or facts. Science has not progressed to the extent of creating life out of inorganic matter at this juncture but that does not mean it never will. Throughout human history, we have attributed things we cannot comprehend or not yet discovered the reason behind it, as God or act of God and lot of these God theories have been proven otherwise by science over the years. We are an evolving species and we have discovered and debunked a lot of God myths over time with the progress of science. Maybe human civilization 200 years from now will have much better idea of things we seem to have very little comprehension about, and this can only be attributed to the progress made by science.
    God has no place in a scientific and rational argument and if God created Universe theory were true, then the Large Hadron collider is a giant piece of joke and all the brilliant minds at CERN trying to scientifically explain or prove the creation of Universe theory are doing redundant work or reinventing the wheel. It cannot be both God created Universe and the Big bang theory and one is trying to disprove the other assumption and science has always been triumphant over religion and God every single time throughout known human history.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Mals, you are preaching to the choir here. Read the statement again with the emphasized phrases in mind,

We can actually do what is only credited to God, i.e., MAKE LIFE, everything else pales in comparison.

My point was that women do what people give God credit for!

I describe myself as an 'Atheist Hindu' (yes there is such a thing!). My religious/spiritual beliefs are not the subject of this thread but I certainly do NOT believe in the existence of a benevolent supernatural being who predetermines our lives.

Hopefully we won't digress any more from the point of the OP's post.

8. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Gauri, thanks for the clarification :)

I read both of these statements below together

and went 'WHAT?' because you presented a lot of scientific and rational arguments and concluded creation of life is only credited to God so I was ambiguous on what you were trying to convey because the last God assumption did not make sense with the other parts of the post . Now I know what you were trying to convey and thanks for the clarification. And you can be Atheist anything you want LOL I think anyone presenting any scientific argument can be of any belief system but the moment God is introduced in the argument as a reason, it is no longer a scientific or rational argument. I know now that you did not use God as a reason for creation of life but earlier I interpreted it differently which is why I was puzzled.

9. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

This pattern sounds good. I think woman who would like to have a high profile career can marry a man who is ready to stay home and take care of the kids. But are we ready to accept the change??? Educational qualification is so important in India especially for a guy to win a girl.

Two CEO's cannot stay in the same home and run a family. Man or woman - Ego clashes will ruin their life. Many successful women are divorcees. Thats why women choose the family first and the pattern is still ongoing.

Just my opinion.

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

As long as it is inside you, and is a opinion- its fine. But, when you write this on a forum, it may be true- but is so irksome. The truth is not that many successful women are divorcees. It is a opinion, and is only yours.