1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mysterious Adventures of po-j in po-land: Scene 845

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Illusions, illusions, illusions. As I was staring vacantly at this last evening, I

OJ 1.jpg

help recognizing that the finale close at hand. The curtain’s about to come down soon without a doubt and encore calls are unlikely to be responded to.
    While things last though, let’s follow our adventure trail, which began yesterday atop the Chennai Lighthouse. Shankari hates looking down at the world, so I was left alone to board the elevator and then walk up the final few steps to the top. And what a regal view I was treated to! The breakers lashing on the shore as I looked eastwards and in the west the avenue stretching endlessly, lit up by the soft afternoon sun.

top_of_lighthouse.jpg

The beach, however, was far too congested for my taste and google maps told me that Chennai’s Beach Paradise waited elsewhere. In Thiruvanmiyur. And we lost no time heading in that direction. Ah! Lovely, lovely, lovely. A bright blue sky, broken occasionally by blushing January clouds, conjuring up images of Bengal’s autumn. Typical Durga Puja eve.

We looked back at each other under the setting sun. The sun will rise again tomorrow. But our denouement, once enacted, will land us we know not where. In search of that nowhere land, we took a stroll over the sea beach wondering about our next possible destination. This is where we found it.

Kapeeleshwar_mylapore_temple6.JPG
    The Gopuram of Kapeeleshwar Temple. We took a tour of the courtyard viewing the devotees prostrating themselves before the ultimate divinity. Soon we shall be there. Deep under this pool perhaps.

Kapeeleshwar_mylapore_temple9.JPG

Attached Files:

11 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Thanks OJ da for keeping us updated with your experiences in Chennai, thanks for the pictures too which I am able to enjoy sitting at home. Thanks for posting made for each other photo then and now. Both of you look graceful. Both of you look very happy in the photo and if anyone sees you both will take you as a South Indian. May God bless you both and fulfill all your wishes. So when are you coming to Aamchi Mumbai:)

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Like Aruna, I too am enjoying seeing my singara Chennai through your eyes/lens!

This is not just few glimpses of Chennai, but glimpse through life too! I too remember a Chennai full of very sweet memories of childhood and teenage. Later it went awry due to many reasons. Then there remained and remains a longing to visit Chennai. Thanks to FB and my many virtual friends from there, I am well informed of today's Chennai!

Good pictures Po-j-da. I remember going up the light house with my grandad, uncles and aunts too! One or the other used to treat us to such pleasures when we went there for our winter breaks. Then the walk in the beach and eating out at some new little popular place that would have opened up etc etc. Learnt to eat with fork and knife in Chennai with my uncle instructing...:) Today, I could teach him a thing or two about table manners, only he is not alive anymore...Not that he needed to learn...!!!!!!!!

Loved also the glimpse of life...you and Sankari ...the way you were then and now!

L, Kamla

3 people like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear OJ,
    I like this kind of travelogue rather than going on a coach, hopping from place to place, limited time to see a place. Seeing places leisurely and according to your liking covering all aspects. Places, people, food and everything that you want to know.
    My memory of Chennai is in bits and pieces.....Marina Beach, Mahabalipuram, some temples, shopping and of course Chennai Ramakrishna Math and delicious food of course. Language...can understand simple sentences with not more than four words. If more, it is Greek and Latin. Can't read. Took me back to some memories.
    You both are looking like a cute pair when young and now also.
    May you have the remaining trip also enjoyable and share with us.

Syamala

I also do not like down on people....afraid of heights.

2 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

OJ da I dont knowwhether I am correct if I say you and bhabhi then look young cute pair made for each other and now also the same but can see the happiness and maturity with age. There is conentment and happiness in both of your faces. My pranams to both of you

2 people like this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

Man wonderful chronicles these, sorry i missed the earlier ones, i will do so tomm morning. Let me tell u, u two look two film stars in the earlier days, u resemble Biswajeet, and she Mala Sinha, and now u both look so elegant.Glad to know u both are having such a wonderful time there, how is the food there, do u get yr quota of fish or nonveg there, are u comfrtable with the sout indian idli and dosas, let me know.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Ojaantrik:

Wow! Your photograph with Sankariji at young age is captivating! Kamalji and I think alike. I was going to say that you both look like Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia of Aaradhana days. Of course, my comment is purely for the look and has got nothing to do with Rajesh Khanna's real life playboy style behavior. We all know you are eka pathini man in letter and spirit.

Even though I am from Chennai, I had never been to the top of light house. I always suspect my physical ability to climb the stairs. Thanks to you, I got the view from the light house. The photograph Kapaleeswarar Temple brought some pleasant memories of Utsavam we have attended during many summers. Kapaleeswarar and Karpagambal are divine entities that charge many in and around Mylapore. I know many who live in Mylapore that would get depressed if they don't go to that temple at least once a day.

I thought Cheeniya Sir would have taken you to Triplicane to show the places he spent time as a young boy. Don't miss to see the ECR Road and the IT corridor especially the brand new facility built by TCS. That has become a picnic spot. Are you going to Mahabalipuram?

We look forward to your next versions. In the meantime, Ekati bara samaya ache.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Beautiful pictures OJ-da. You seem to be really making the best of your stay in Chennai. OJ-da, would be really wonderful if you could still make it to B'lore. The weather has warmed up quite a bit and should become warmer after about a week or so.

1 person likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you OJ sir!
    I read all the updates in one go.
    All four of you look so good and distinguished, you with your specs and Sri sir with his famous beard; Mrs. OJ and Mrs. Sri are beautiful.
    Your desire to test the authenticity of Sri sir's beard reminded me of the scene from "Miracle on 34th st" where the hero tests Santa's beard.
    Thanks for the pictures of Chennai.

1 person likes this.
  10. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

OJ,

Is there a puzzle woven in the indexing of the threads? The legendary eccentricity of Welles lingers on; flustered breaking the code!

What a transformation OJ, what a delightful transfo! The perkiness, light-heartedness of your threads , something in Chennai air? Your journey amuses me in the style of Jerome K Jerome's 'Three men in a boat', now I am ready to reveal who the third man [1] is with Welles and Attenborough only if you disclose the secret of the numberology ;)

Beautiful vintage picture! Except few silvery strands sprouting, the golden bond is still intact!

[1] - The third man is also Cheeniya and a Cheeniya with acute senses who corrected my misquoting of Mark Twain as author. One has to have two brains, be two people with that exceptional memory prowess, cognition and intelligence ! Thank you.