1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MyBlog- 64 (Things have changed between us...)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Pragmatic, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Hello dear ILites
    Its been real long time since I visited IL or wrote a blog. I was away for good ... went to India on a long vacation . While in India we decided to get my mom and mom-in-law along with us to USA so that we get to spend some quality time with our elders. By doing this we also broke the myth of bringing our elders to USA only when WE need them ...mostly in case of pregnancy/illness. To be true, I was extremely glad because I use to feel too lonesome here. I was overjoyed with the thought of staying with mums, chitchatting with them all day and cooking delicacies for them. On my way back to USA, the only thought that was rolling in my mind was what all I can cook and serve them ...Gajar halwa, palak panner, jalebi, gulabjamoon,sarson the saag ...etc etc etc....I decided to treat them the best way possible and make their stay extremely enjoyable. I was sure my plans will work well coz I gel very well with my mom-in-law ...she has been very loving, open minded and friendly to me back in India ...and off course to get to stay with my mother for this long was a dream come true.

But somehow the situations have not been so smooth as I dreamt of...and yes you guessed it right...These difference occurred with my mom-in-law. I am sure we both were at mistake but I feel sorry that I am yet not able to bring back the joy we use to share earlier. I sincerely want to bridge the gap between two of us...but I am unable to do so and then I thought of taking suggestions from my dear IL friends..I am sure you will guide me the right thing and will help me revive my relations with my mother in law.

Things spiced up the moment we left home for Delhi Airport. I wore a jeans , jackets , shoes for a comfortable travel. The moment my mum-in-law spotted me not wearing a bindi and payal . She objected and got upset. I explained her that I do not wear bindi with western wear and payal will hurt me in tight shoes as we are on a long journey. Since then , from boarding our flight till USA arrival, she was quiet , she did not speak to me. When we took a taxi to home, I kept talking n showed fall colors to my mum and mum-in-law , but she seemed least interested.

After reaching home, she was alright, 3-4 days went in a jet lag. Though Myself n hubby tried to control our jetlag and be available for mums as and when they need us. First few days ,we use to stay awake according to their timings. Most of the days I cooked fresh food in the middle of the night to serve them hot food after they wake up. I tried providing all possible comforts to them. After a week, I geared up and started my morning by 6 am. serve breakfast to hubby, prepare tea for all. Assist them in bathing, clean up dishes, serve them hot n variety of breakfast, show them indian news and shows on the internet, take them around our apartment, show them grocery stores nearby , cook lunch , then evening snack and dinner along with special sweets. I was working hard happily to make them feel good in this new place.

I guess the only mistake while taking care of them was .... Whenever they offered a helping hand in kitchen, I often told my mother and mum-in-law to relax, enjoy and just chitchat along with me and I shall take care of daily chores.

My mom took this lovingly but my mum-in-law was hurt. On the very next day , when my hubby came back from work she started crying...she said that she is getting bored here in a week itself ...she cannot do anything here...Back at home she was always occupied and here she is getting bored all the time.

For a second , I was hurt coz I was doing everything to keep them occupied n happy all day long. my hubby heard her and asked me to let her do the kitchen work. I also agreed. Next day onwards I asked her if she will cook the breakfast , she happily came and prepared. The other day again I called her if she will prepare idli for us , she made it. Somewhere I felt uncomfortable asking her to do this or that. So i told her that mom ..you initiate the kitchen work and I shall help you.
    The very next day she never came for kitchen work ....when the clock struck almost 10 am , I quickly prepared the breakfast. we all had and later during lunch hour also she never came on her own to the kitchen so again I prepared the lunch instead of calling her.

My concern is that my Mother suffers from Artheritis , she cannot stand and work in my kitchen so I never ask her , she usually sits n cut veges etc. Now when I am not seeking my mum's help , it looks awkward to daily call my mum-in-law for household work. So I started doing things myself, thinking if she will offer a helping hand I will involve her. Over the weekend , she again started complaining & crying to my hubby that 'she is getting bored here'

So Kitchen chores was one thing that she complained about. Next was my hubby...if I cook something , she will quickly comment..."Oh this dish my son will not eat", If suppose my hubby eats it , she will comment..."Oh my poor son, I know he had to eat all this unwillingly coz he never touched it in his childhood'...so on and so forth.

Next was whenever a neighbor friend comes over to our place and something she dislikes about her ...she will indirectly comment "This is what girls do these days ...They don't listen to elders ...They don't treat their husbands well ...They have no ethics etc etc.

All these situations to name a few have made my plans sour... I feel sad over her attitude and somehow that bitterness in showing in my attitude these days..I want to avoid but I have started answering to her wrong comments.
    I know I must control my emotions but I am really upset because its just been 3 weeks , we have to live together for 3 months and All the more , my objective to make their stay pleasant is loosing somewhere...I am loosing all the enthusiasm.
    I thought of talking with her one-on-one but I am worried that she should not feel insulted if I talk about what all wrong she is doing. I want to correct myself but still the things doesnt look the same anymore...We hardly talk n giggle the way it was back in India. I do not want her to carry a wrong impression of me. I want them to talk n be happy while they are here with us.

Please Help me...Tell me where am I wrong and How should I resolve this gap!

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pragmatic, I opened your blog happily since it’s been long that we saw you. Sorry that you are having a tough time, I am not a great person to advice in these matters. But maybe I can suggest something. Try involving her in small kitchen chores rather than asking her to prepare meals. You can ask tips from her of how to make this dish or that dish and she will be happy to help you out. I am sure fellow ILs will pour out better suggestions. Have a great time with momsJ

3. nishat.kutub

nishat.kutub New IL'ite

Dear first mistake u did was to bring both the moms together, becoz it is extremenly difficult to handle both together as there will always be kind of comparison between both and you yourself can't behave same for both of them

4. manjulapathy

manjulapathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Pragmatic!
    Nice to see you after a long gap. I am really sorry for the situation you are in . As Nishat suggested you should not have taken both of them at the same time. May be she is comparing herself with your mom. You ask her to assist you when you are cooking. If you feel things are going out of control talk to her,explain things to her. Let her know that your intentions are good and you dont want to hurt her.
    All the best!
    Manjula

5. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Pragmatic
    First of allI have to say , am not having much experience as DIL as many of our IL friends have.But my suggestion is same as Ami try to make her master recipies with her help.Appreciate her when the food she make is quite good.
    Regarding the problem..."Oh this dish my son will not eat", If suppose my hubby eats it , she will comment..."Oh my poor son, I know he had to eat all this unwillingly coz he never touched it in his childhood'...so on and so forth. is natural for all MILs .However loving and caring they are, always have a fear in mind whether they have no role in son's life.She meant only even if he is your husband I know him more..I care him more..........It may appears to be silly but I think we only know this when we become MIL.After all the attachmment between a mother and son ,I mean how much a mother loves her son can be known only by experience.So don't feel irritated by her comments.If she is comfortable in that way,let her be happy.We don't lose anything by keeping quiet.I believe to have a husband happy we must have a happy MIL.So don't feel bad about her.As Manju said she may be also be making comparisons with your mother.

with regards
    Meenu

6. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

Dear Pragmatic,
    I am not the correct person to advice you but I want to appreaciate the efforts that you have taken to take care of both moms and your earnestness in making sure that they have the best time with you. But unfortunately , things di not fare the way planned which usually happens in life. Like Ami siad, I guess you should involve you MIL in kitchen not only asking her to make dishes but allowing her to take the initiative and make whatever she wishes for. Maybe she wants to utilise this time making dishes for her son which she is not being able to and that is turning against you. I know its hard to maintain relationships but dear you can and I guess you have to let go somewhere and give freedom to your MIL, may be thats what her prob;em is.

Dont worry, think and try coming up with ideas to keep your MIL engaged and maybe this time luck will favour you.

All the very best:thumbsup

7. Sonal3080

Sonal3080 New IL'ite

Dear Pragmatic,
    It was good to see your blog after so many days n even I opened it happily as the others expecting to read some wonderful India experiences but feel sorry for you!!

I think the best way to solve problems is through respectful and fruitful communication. Often communication gap is the root cause of problems especially in relationships. I think if you have a frank discussion with your MIL in the presence of your hubby(preferably not in the presence of your mom(MIL may not like it) ) in order to convey your honest feelings and intentions in trying to keep her happy and occupied it would contribute towards bridging the communication gap.

Also you can ask for her inputs towards what is it that she would love to do(your ideas of having a good time might be different from hers) and will make her feel good. This activity will make her realize your good intentions. This should be a frank discussion in a non-complaining tone and you can inform your hubby beforehand about it and take his advice on how to go about it since he knows his mom better as to how she'll react to what situation.

My 2 cents based on experience that bridging the communication gap is the key to resolving problems in relationships!!

Hope this solution works for you in case you find it appropriate enough to implement!! All the best.....

8. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Thanks dear friends ...as suggested 'Today I tried involving her...I asked her to teach me how to make bitter gourd but her instant reply was 'ask your mom , she knows it better' :( I hate the situations I am into right now. The home environment is so dull. Festive season is coming up and I am loosing all enthusiasm. Yes as you all rightly said, I need to let few things go and gear up all over again...

9. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi pragmatic,

like all other friend Ilites said, you shouldnt have brought both of them togethere.

i had this similar problem, when my mom came to help me with my delivery, when i we were in sgpr. My inlaws were already staying with us that time.

If you have some friend, who have their parents or inlaws, you take your mil there, or call them at your place, so she can talk with them, she will feel good.

Take to her to the nearby temple, if she likes. If she likes to read book, bring her books from library.

Also ask her what menu for the day, or you can ask to can we prepare this today etc....

i hope your 3 months fly soon, ofcourse with good time.

take care

10. rmalathi

rmalathi Senior IL'ite

Hi Pragmatic,
    My sympathies are with you!!

You said 'Today I tried involving her...I asked her to teach me how to make bitter gourd but her instant reply was 'ask your mom , she knows it better' here may be u could have told her that her son or even you prefer the way she makes it.. just some maskafying you see!!!

But sometimes when you try too hard to please someone it could backfire; may be you are too self-conscious and always correcting yourself. Just let go and be free with her just as you were earlier, this could really help things out.

Meanwhile, enjoy their company and pamper your MIL, may be take her to the Spa or something only the 2 of you!!!!!!!!